Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
CuttingSplit AdviceTraining Programs

Too high volume on a cut?16413

Nkravn private msg quote post Address this user
Hey everyone! I've been doing this workout program for the last 3 months with great results in a "gaining/bulk phase" And i'm now going to lover my calories in order to cut. Is it too much to keep up with the exact same program? too high volume - frequency or what so ever? If yes - how should I do it then?
^ Im open for other splits. I just don't find fullbody attractive.

All exercises is done with 4 sets of each with 6-12 reps

My weekly routine is : Day 1, day2, day3, REST, day1, day2, day3, REST... And so on. Sometimes I add another rest time if I feel like it.

Day 1 - Back and Biceps

-Deadlift
- Rows
- Chin ups
- Pulldown
- Preacher curls
- EZ Biceps Curl

Day 2 - Chest and Triceps

-Benchpress
-Incline dumbell benchpress
- Flyes with cable
- French press
- Triceps pushdowns
-Rotator exercises with cables

Day 3 - Legs and Shoulder
- Squat
- Lunges
- Calf-Raise
- Military press
- Lateral Raise
- Bend over, reverse flyes
- Abs
Post 1 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
It really comes down to preference. Conditioning will take a bigger hit faster during a cut than strength in lower reps, so I personally drop reps down to 5 or less when I cut. I personally find myself more prone to little injuries doing high reps on a cut. There are a lot of people who continue to do the same routine while cutting and bulking.

As far as frequency goes, just do what you can handle. Following your routine will probably be fine for a while, but you might start having trouble recovering and be more prone to injury after a couple of months. Then you can just add more rest days and adjust your diet accordingly.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Also, do you even have hamstrings?
Post 3 IP   flag post
So I shouldn't be afraid of losing muscle by "overtrain" in the first months? It is good to feel burned out after the workouts right? Can I train too much in a cut phase? I mean by having only a rest day every 4th day?

Planning 3-500 calorie deficit in 8 weeks, just to shred some fat slow while retaining muscle.

Might gonna try dropping down reps, should I then have more sets? or same number of sets?

I do the exact exercises as listed above. So I guess I don't have a specific training for hamstrings. Anything I should add/change in the program?
Post 4 IP   flag post
You should still be training to failure in every set right? giving it ALL you got. Not just stop 1 reps before max while cutting?
Post 5 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
You definitely need some direct knee flexion movements, and there's no benefit to going to failure whether you're cutting, bulking, or maintaining. -3X
Post 6 IP   flag post
When I say failure, I don't mean like i can't even lift the last rep and need help. But lifting until the very last rep I can push my self. Meaning I can't take another one, but I don't need help

Is that wrong - or ?
Post 7 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
It's not wrong, but it's also not necessary. -3X
Post 8 IP   flag post
Alright I see So I could stop before the last rep or how is it optimal?
Post 9 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I would try to stay within whatever rep range you have established for yourself. If you're doing sets of 6 and you find that you can do 12, it's time to move up the weight. -3X
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkravn
So I shouldn't be afraid of losing muscle by "overtrain" in the first months? It is good to feel burned out after the workouts right? Can I train too much in a cut phase? I mean by having only a rest day every 4th day?

Planning 3-500 calorie deficit in 8 weeks, just to shred some fat slow while retaining muscle.

Might gonna try dropping down reps, should I then have more sets? or same number of sets?

I do the exact exercises as listed above. So I guess I don't have a specific training for hamstrings. Anything I should add/change in the program?

You won't "overtrain" unless you aren't eating enough. A 300-500 cal deficit isn't too much, so you should be fine.

Add some ham curls or something, definitely need other exercises in there.

As far as how many sets, it all depends on how much weight you're lifting and your program. If you drop the number of reps, I'd just experiment and see what works.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
Why do you train your shoulders 2 days in a row (4 days a week)?
You're actually putting your whole shoulder girdle under alot of stress 6 days a week, this is like asking for an injury.
Do a pure PPL instead, your anterior delts gets hammered in chest presses, especially inclines (as you can see here).
And as mentioned, why don't you train your hamstrings? Sure, they get some in deadlifts but far from enough.

PS, this is how a pure push workout could look like

Bench press
Military press
Cable flyes
Lateral raise
French press
Pushdown
+ RC work
Post 12 IP   flag post
If I do a pure push like you suggested, won't I then be missing some chest and back shoulder? Normally I do 3 chest exercises and 3 for shoulders. So that is almost what I do, but with the incline chest taking out and reverse flyes taking out?

I see what you mean there by hitting shoulder so often, might be too much?

I will get some hamstrings curls in!
Post 13 IP   flag post
And thanks for everyone who is taking their time, to help me!
Post 14 IP   flag post
Beastmode1607 private msg quote post Address this user
I say intensity over volume, maybe 4 exercises 3 sets each, to failure at 6-9reps. So you'll be lifting a little heavier but keep continuous tent ion on muscle, try not to lock out and rest
Post 15 IP   flag post
SnackIt private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastmode1607
I say intensity over volume, maybe 4 exercises 3 sets each, to failure at 6-9reps. So you'll be lifting a little heavier but keep continuous tent ion on muscle, try not to lock out and rest

No
Post 16 IP   flag post
Ricktoripped private msg quote post Address this user
Can I chime in and ask a question? During cut, is it more beneficial to do higher volumes to help with calorie burn?

Also,is there more of a post workout calorie burn with high rep work than with heavier low rep work?

Thanks.
Post 17 IP   flag post
340614 17 17
destitute