Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
CuttingSplit Advice

Do you increase reps on a cut?16392

bicepKing private msg quote post Address this user
Currently doing PPL. Mainly 6 reps for main compound lifts, 8-10, sometimes 12 for isolation.

Any benefits in increasing my rep range? Like less injury, better pumps?

Currently seeing very little strength gains since I started cutting 3 weeks ago. Which makes me think I'm not progressing.

So thinking about switching to higher reps with more focus on contracting the muscle and leaving the gym with that pumped feeling.
Post 1 IP   flag post
nine0seven private msg quote post Address this user
No. Increasing reps is complete bro science and one of my biggest pet peeve. If anything you should lift heavier. You can gain quite a bit of strength on a cut.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Tritons private msg quote post Address this user
Just do what has worked for you befor. But doing higher reps on some excercises will not hurt you. For example do your heavy work first, and then do some higher rep sets.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine0seven
No. Increasing reps is complete bro science and one of my biggest pet peeve. If anything you should lift heavier. You can gain quite a bit of strength on a cut.

So you are still going up reps and/or weight quite frequently on a cut?
Post 4 IP   flag post
nine0seven private msg quote post Address this user
There's no benefit of increasing reps on a cut. People will say "it burns more fat" which is completely false. Lifting heavy on a cut will allow you to maintain more muscle muscle fibers.

Your diet is what determines fat loss, not the routine.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I will stick to it then. Thanks for the quick response.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
No, i keep everything as it was before i went on the cut, that's the best way to see if you're getting weaker (dropping in reps/weight).
I do however lower the frequency a bit since one doesn't recover as good when on a cut, if i for example was doing a PPL like this before the cut -> 3 on, 1 off, 2 on, 1 off then i change it to 2 on, 1 off, 2 on etc.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawsteel
No, i keep everything as it was before i went on the cut, that's the best way to see if you're getting weaker (dropping in reps/weight).
I do however lower the frequency a bit since one doesn't recover as good when on a cut, if i for example was doing a PPL like this before the cut -> 3 on, 1 off, 2 on, 1 off then i change it to 2 on, 1 off, 2 on etc.

Thanks. You always give quality advice. One question though, what if I am getting weaker? Lower the weight straight away?

I feel like I will be doing basically the same weights/reps my whole cut or even worse decreasing every couple of weeks. Is this normal?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicepKing

Thanks. You always give quality advice. One question though, what if I am getting weaker? Lower the weight straight away?

I feel like I will be doing basically the same weights/reps my whole cut or even worse decreasing every couple of weeks. Is this normal?

Some loss is normal, especially if one goes really low in bodyfat.
If you want to maintain as much as possible simply take it slow (-3-500 calories a day), or atleast when you're getting low in bf (<-12%).
And if you should lower the weight or not it's hard to answer, it depends on the program and how you feel.
If you're starting to hit failure trying to reach your previous reps then i would probably lower the weight.
Post 9 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicepKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawsteel

Loss of strength on a cut is normal for me. But instead of responding intelligently (lowering the weight) I have a bad habit of getting injured which causes me to miss time at the gym and that throws off my diet. It's a horrible, vicious cycle.

If you can maintain strength that's great and some guys on the forum are careful enough and motivated enough to achieve this... but it's not something I count on personally. Much better to accept some muscle loss and keep your body healthy!
Post 10 IP   flag post
LVjack private msg quote post Address this user
If you want more volume add sets not reps.
Post 11 IP   flag post
darklight79 private msg quote post Address this user
On a cut if aggressive you'd be happy just to maintain strength and muscle mass. Not unheard of for advanced trainees to be able to achieve PB's on a cut but rare. I'd decrease reps and add more sets while trying to maintain poundages with as good form as possible.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Beastmode1607 private msg quote post Address this user
No, what built the muscle is what's gona maintain the muscle while cutting
Post 13 IP   flag post
340614 13 13
destitute