Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Female FitnessShouldersSplit Advice

shoulder help16390

Sheila private msg quote post Address this user
Hi folks, I need some shoulder help. the front and rear deltoids are coming along nice but the medial? is lacking. last 3 times of shoulders I finished off with single side raises with 15lbs 10x10 to see if that would bring some exhaustion and growth....nothing seems to be working for me....help?
Post 1 IP   flag post
3six9 private msg quote post Address this user
You could try starting off with side raises. It can also depend on how you are performing them too.
Post 2 IP   flag post
thanks, I will try them first tonight....my form is perfect so it's not that, it might be stubborn but the front and rear and growing nice so I don't understand...
Post 3 IP   flag post
You also need to switch the angle of your elbows and how far back you have your arms to really hit the mid delts.
Post 4 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Hmmm...could be because there's no such thing as a medial delt head? If you're referring to the lateral or middle head, try switching to cables and not coming all the way down. The first 30 degrees of movement in a lateral raise is predominantly supraspinatus, so the delts aren't doing much. -3X
Post 5 IP   flag post
You also do not need to go above parallel or you will take the tension off of the mid head.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@3six9...thank you for the information, maybe it is angle and how far back it is so I'll look into that. is there a good video that you know of that performs them perfect?
Post 7 IP   flag post
@eknight....that is why I put a question mark by it. Yes I do mean the middle head. and thank you I will incorporate cables and not come all the way down, great advice!! thank you I'm so glad I asked
Post 8 IP   flag post
TimmothyGen private msg quote post Address this user
I like performing side laterals without weight first to get the movement down high reps then use weight. Burns.
Post 9 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
@Sheila you may want to consider bands as well. The tension will increase as you abduct your arms, allowing a greater contraction. -3X
Post 10 IP   flag post
Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
10x10? Way to light weight.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Perfidy private msg quote post Address this user
@Rawsteel It's GVT.. I wouldn't say it's way "way too light weight" when done correctly.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Tim, I'll try that too
Post 13 IP   flag post
@Raw, that may be to light for you but 100 reps per arm at 15 isn't for me, at some points I was struggling and had to take a breather and it is at the end of my shoulder workout. I guess I could try more weight less reps?
Post 14 IP   flag post
@ Raw... thats 1500bls per arm...? and I'm not a big girl
Post 15 IP   flag post
@3six9 what angle do you have your elbows about or what angle do you suggest for nice growth? I'm thinking it's my angle
Post 16 IP   flag post
Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfidy
@Rawsteel It's GVT.. I wouldn't say it's way "way too light weight" when done correctly.

GVT? German volume training? Worthless program, a ridiculously high volume and a ridiculously low intensity.
And yes, it's to light, if one can manage 10 reps across 10 sets with the same weight that's like 40-50% of ones 1 RM.
SFS has a great video about this program below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila
@ Raw... thats 1500bls per arm...? and I'm not a big girl

Yes, the total volume is high but as said above, the intensity is not.
Post 17 IP   flag post
wow thanks so much for this!!! I really appreciate the advice
Post 18 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
@Rawsteel good post
Post 19 IP   flag post
Hi again and thanks everyone for the great advice, I have another question regarding lateral raises. There is a machine at my gym I tried today for the first time, I always do free weights. you sit facing forward and your forearms rest on pads and you lift your arms up to your shoulders.....Is this the elbow angle I'n supposed to use during free weights to build my shoulders middle head? Thanks in advance
Sheila
Post 20 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Bending your elbow is in no way advantageous for lateral raises, despite what was posted above. When you bend your elbow using free weights, your lateral delts aren't able to be the focus of the movement because your external rotators are contracting to resist the internal rotation created by the position of the dumbbells. Because of this, the movement becomes as much a static external rotator exercise as a lateral delt exercise.

What's the rest of your shoulder routine look like? -3X
Post 21 IP   flag post
@eknight....thank you!! so that machine is useless too then I'm guessing? keep in mind that I'm far from a pro lol but my usual shoulder routine is like this. I warm up really good in various ways:
seated DB raise 15 lbs 12x3
seated DB raises 20 lbs 10x3
''''''''''''''''' 25 lbs 6x3
rear delt flyes machine 70lbs 10x3
face pulls 60lbs 10x7
bent over rear delt raise 15lbs 10x2
levers (45 lbs BB in a orner with 10lb plate) 10x4 per arm
lateral raise 15lbs 10x10 per arm.
a lot of the times tho I do the rear delts with my back routine since everything is in the same spot in the gym. I use to have a right shoulder injury but I feel it's healed now but I really have to warm it up, a lot before I hit any weights. any critique would be awesome
Post 22 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Routine looks good. I wouldn't say that machine is useless, but it just offers a similar disadvantage in terms of muscle action. Since I believe in training movements and not trying to single out individual muscles, I'd be OK with it, but that's just me. -3X
Post 23 IP   flag post
thank you. I guess when I lose some more weight they will show up better like the front and rear. I tried that machine for the first time yesterday and didn't really like it but may try it again. my lateral raises I should have add are done with a straight arm
Post 24 IP   flag post
340738 24 24
destitute