Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Hambo private msg quote post Address this user
Hi fellows,

I wonder where to breathe when doing: Conventional deadlift, sumo deadlift, barbell squat and barbell hack squat and why.

Thanks for your answer.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
Deads: I take a big breath before I lift, hold it briefly on the way up, and let it out when closing out.

Squats: Big breath before I descend, hold it on the way down, let it out on the way up.

It's easier to brace yourself with a lot of air.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Thanks for the information Beans.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Zepa private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans
Deads: I take a big breath before I lift, hold it briefly on the way up, and let it out when closing out.

Squats: Big breath before I descend, hold it on the way down, let it out on the way up.

It's easier to brace yourself with a lot of air.

I do this too. Breathing helps a lot if you do it properly
Post 4 IP   flag post
What do you mean by 'closing out' in "Deads: I take a big breath before I lift, hold it briefly on the way up, and let it out when closing out."
Post 5 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambo
What do you mean by 'closing out' in "Deads: I take a big breath before I lift, hold it briefly on the way up, and let it out when closing out."

Probably once I get half way through the lift. I'm not positive to be honest, I just do what feels right.
Post 6 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
It's not something you should have to think about. Exhale with effort. Doesn't matter which lift- when you perform the effort (concentric part of the lift) you exhale. -3X
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thanks for answers.
Post 8 IP   flag post
340617 8 8
destitute