Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Female FitnessForm CritiqueLegsProgress PicsSplit AdviceSquats

Please critique squat form! Desperate?16327

Beans private msg quote post Address this user

He has multiple videos discussing squat form and why nothing is perfect for everyone.

Edit: But agreed, his squat is sexy.
Post 26 IP   flag post
GrizzlyBerg private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyBerg

I hope my debate with @rememberthis turns you off from posting here. I hope you continue to post and seek help until you feel you are in a good position.

Sorry. I did not want to be misleading. I meant to say I hope the debate DOES NOT turn you off from posting. I hope you stick around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rememberthis
You have no idea whether she can aim to raise her torso some more before you reach the conclusion that she has long/short femurs, etc.

Read my advice to OP. I told her I DO BELIEVE she needs to be more upright. I was more debating the fact that you randomly threw two boxes (which you still have yet to reference how you determined them) on a screenshot and told her she must fit within your standards.

Quote:
Also, I'm a huge fan. HUGE FAN of Norton, but his form is not optimal.

Tell that to his 661 IPF squat record.

I'm done debating @rememberthis. Have the last word. We clearly have different ways of looking at it. No skin off my back.
Post 27 IP   flag post
_RudeCrew private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Also, I'm a huge fan. HUGE FAN of Norton, but his form is not optimal.

Post 28 IP   flag post
rememberthis private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyBerg

Read my advice to OP. I told her I DO BELIEVE she needs to be more upright. I was more debating the fact that you randomly threw two boxes (which you still have yet to reference how you determined them) on a screenshot and told her she must fit within your standards.

clickable text
Post 29 IP   flag post
Kansas___Boyyyyy private msg quote post Address this user
guess he didnt learn anything from his debate with ek
Post 30 IP   flag post

@_RudeCrew @Kansas___Boyyyyy

serious question:
is this not a butt wink?

no matter how much he lifts, can he not lift more if he's able to correct this?

I always wondered if some (serious) powerlifters (with serious records) don't modify their form because they'll lose a lot of strength -- in the beginning, when they modify their posture, and are scared they'll reach some sort of plateau below their current max for too long.
Post 31 IP   flag post
They have also shown that butt wink is not as serious as it's made out to be. But, "optimal" is defined by the subject. In Laynes case, it's to move the most weight, which his current form has accomplished. Who are you to tell someone at a elite level that his form is not "optimal"? This is the last thing I'm saying on the subject.
Post 32 IP   flag post
I've attended around 20 lectures on bio-mechanics, where the program involved geometrically and analytically determining freedom degrees and the calculation of structure resistance. I hope that counts for something...

Who is "they"? And what do you mean by "it's not that serious"?
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
I've attended around 20 lectures on bio-mechanics, where the program involved geometrically and analytically determining freedom degrees and the calculation of structure resistance. I hope that counts for something...

Who is "they"? And what do you mean by "it's not that serious"?

Serious question. How much can those people lift?

That's great and all, but lifting comes down to consistency and time. Doing what is comfortable and what allows you to progress is way closer to optimal than worrying about a little butt wink.
Post 34 IP   flag post
And since you like Candito, look up his video about butt wink. His view is that everyone has it, some more than others, and it's not a big deal if it's not terrible and you know what you're doing.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Jiaxie97 private msg quote post Address this user
Looking at candito's video, it does seem he leans forward a bit on high bar squats. Obviously not as much as me, but nice to know I can work towards an achievable goal.
Post 36 IP   flag post
By the way, would you all recommend to keep the same weight I'm at and work on improving form? Or should I lower the weight for now. I feel like my first 4 reps were ok... Still not that great... But the last 3 were pretty brutal haha. Tell me what you all think!
Post 37 IP   flag post
Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
You want to keep that back more upright, now it looks like your back is doing half the work.
Post 38 IP   flag post
ehukai private msg quote post Address this user
I would keep the current weight or better yet drop it and focus on keeping upright and getting the motion down. Right now it looks like morning glory squat combo.

I would focus on strengthening you quads and core to maintain a more upright position and prevent your lower back from doing a lot of the work.

Try doing very light overhead squats (bar above head) to really force yourself to stay more upright and work on maintaining thoracic extension

Good luck and let us know how it goes
Post 39 IP   flag post
I did some more research and also found out a major reason why my torso could be collapsing- breathing. I was flexing my abs in the way down, and sometimes exhaling on the bottom of the squat cause I was tired. I watched a video that said to breathe with the diaphragm- expanding the and and giving support to back as you go down- and slowly exhaling as you lift up. Maybe this is my problem. Will give it a shot this week and let you guys know
Post 40 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
@Jiaxie97 Sure I told ya that in like the 3rd comment ! 😁
Post 41 IP   flag post
Here's why I think the butt wink is an important detail to pay attention to.

Post 42 IP   flag post
@rememberthis It's definitely important, especially for beginners with really bad butt wink that don't know how to fix it. Again, nobody said it wasn't. If you have been lifting for years with no problems, like Norton, and it's not too bad, it doesn't really matter. Which is explained in the video you just posted.

If Norton just decided one day that he wouldn't butt wink ever again, he would essentially have to backtrack on years of practice using his current form. So no, he wouldn't magically be able to lift more. Like I said before, what's "optimal" is finding a balance of form and performance that allows you to progress for years with comfort.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Is my buttwink bad? I didn't notice that
Post 44 IP   flag post
@Jiaxie97 I think you'll be able to notice (if and how bad) when you squat with your torso raised a bit more.

As you keep achieving the squat form you desire with the current weight you can properly lift, you'll notice the problems (particular to your morphology) you need to solve with the adding of weight and/or complexity of the squat -- overhead squat being the most complex.
Post 45 IP   flag post
@Jiaxie97 Can't really tell in that video. Skim through that video with the skeleton model to the part where the guy shows his butt wink in a squat. It's a good way to gauge how deep you can go while maintaining a straight spine.

A good trick someone showed me once was get a 2x4 or some type of straight stick, and have someone hold it behind you so that it touches your head, top of your back, and your butt (3 points). Try to squat without the board coming off of those places. It's a good goal to try and shoot for.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Okay I see. By the way, I think one reason why my form breaks down so badly is I don't have a rack to which I can set the weight down if I fail. I focus more on the fear of dropping the weight rather than the form. How can I fix this?
Post 47 IP   flag post
My squats from today- 5 pounds lighter at 115. I think form is better? Tell me what you all think!http://youtu.be/0Rr8ux5HZN8
Post 48 IP   flag post
@Beans @_RudeCrew @GrizzlyBerg Anyone?
Post 49 IP   flag post
Looks much better. Good job.
Post 50 IP   flag post
GrizzlyBerg private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by _RudeCrew
Looks much better. Good job.

I agree
Post 51 IP   flag post
Awesome! All it was was concentrating on keeping tightness and bracing (rather than flexing) and while holding breath throughout whole squat. Any more form fixes you guys can see? Sorry I'm bothering you with so many questions- I train solo and none of my friends/family have a clue about weightlifting so I need all the help I can get
Post 52 IP   flag post
Looks good from that angle. Can't see your legs at the bottom so it's hard to tell, but it looks like your back is good.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Thanks so much! For my legs I try to keep them shoulder width with knees and toes pointed out. Can't video from that angle, but I believe it's okay!
Post 54 IP   flag post
340738 54 29
destitute