Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Split AdviceTraining Programs

Train to maintain...anyone?16319

haole private msg quote post Address this user
I've been lifting pretty consistently for about 5 years now but in the last year I have dealt with a couple injuries that have made me rethink my goals and my "lifting style" for the long haul.

I'm pretty happy with my current physique and strength so I want to just maintain. If anyone has advice or experience in this I'd like to hear it. I'd basically like to maintain muscle mass, strength, flexibility and to be able to keep working out until I'm in my 70's.

I'm currently doing a PPL routine and I've switched up to working in an 8-12 rep range rather than a 3-8. I'll be tracking my macros loosely at about 50-25-25 percent ranges for Carbs-Protein-Fat.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Xxlean private msg quote post Address this user
If you want to stay in the game till your 70, I'd reccomend keeping your weights a bit lighter...I'd stay away from anything under 5 reps. I think it would save a lot of wear and tear on your joints. You may not notice it now but you may in the future. Plus if your just looking to maintain going heavy makes little sense.. That's my 2 cents.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Cannonball private msg quote post Address this user
Usually you only train to maintain if you have a time limit on you. If not, then there's no point. Just try to work around your injuries.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Zepa private msg quote post Address this user
I dont see why would you settle. I bet you can make much more gains.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Kansas___Boyyyyy private msg quote post Address this user
The reading comprehension in here is strong...
Post 5 IP   flag post
haole private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball
Usually you only train to maintain if you have a time limit on you. If not, then there's no point. Just try to work around your injuries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepa
I dont see why would you settle. I bet you can make much more gains.

I don't have a time limit and like I said I'm content where I'm at so I don't feel the need to make more gains. I'm sure I could make more gains but I'm not sure I could maintain more gains for years to come (i feel like it will be too hard on my body over the next 5-10-20-30 years). I'm 32 years old 5'9" and 160 pounds. My max bench is 265LBS, Deadlift 315LBS x 3, Squat 215LBS x 8...I never Max out or go too heavy with deads or squats.

I also play hockey so I try to keep up my stamina/VO2 Max.
Post 6 IP   flag post
_RudeCrew private msg quote post Address this user
Do what you want. People have different goals, yours is to maintain. Cool.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
Seems like you would just need to keep doing the same thing over and over again in the gym and eat enough to maintain your weight. Simple enough. I'd stay away from heavy weights like you are already doing, and avoid any movements that have a tenancy to wear down joints.
Post 8 IP   flag post
340733 8 8
destitute