Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Bench PressSplit AdviceWTF

How is this possible?16260

nine0seven private msg quote post Address this user
Hey all,

So I don't have a log on here or anything but I've been doing a ppl twice a week with heavy compounds (3x5). For bench I've been doing 185 for sets of 4, weak I know.

My buddy just got a slingshot so I decided why not try it out. Did 205 for 2-3 reps, nothing amazing. This happened last weekend.

So yesterday was push day & I was gonna bench without the slingshot cause I didn't think it was that useful cause my bench sucked. Put on 185, hit 8, was like "hmm, maybe it did so somethibg" so I kept uping the weight to heavy set. Put on 205, hit 8 REPS WITHOUT FAILURE. Then my buddy was like "bro put 225 that light as hell" and IVE NEVER benched over 200 in my life!!! My max last time I checked was 195 around Christmas.

So I put 225 thinking I was gonna max at 1 rep. I REPPED 225 FOR 2 SETS OF 6!!!!! How the hell did I get this strong in ONE WEEK????

I'm in awe literally...
Post 1 IP   flag post
3six9 private msg quote post Address this user
Who knows and who cares tbh? BB is not about how much weight you can move its about how you move it.
Post 2 IP   flag post
_RudeCrew private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3six9
Who knows and who cares tbh? BB is not about how much weight you can move its about how you move it.

Not everyone here is a bodybuilder. A lot of people on this forum train for strength.
Post 3 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
@nine0seven Good shit bud! Keep it up.

@3six9 Most guys here are strength oriented. Not so much pure bodybuilding with the exception of @the1. He's our resident bodybuilder.
Post 4 IP   flag post
ahhhh, rude beat me to it!
Post 5 IP   flag post
@nine0seven to answer your question. The slingshot isn't gonna magically make your bench go up like that. Could be multiple factors. Maybe handling the heavier weight last time made you more confident this time. Maybe you were just more psyched than usual. But keep it up.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemuscular
@nine0seven Good shit bud! Keep it up.

@3six9 Most guys here are strength oriented. Not so much pure bodybuilding with the exception of @the1. He's our resident bodybuilder.

Thanks man & I give him slack he's new lol.

I think the slingshot somehow brought up unfound strength. Makes me wonder how strong I really am on squat & deadlifts. It was no fluke either, I did 2 solid sets with 225.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@nine0seven I think you were limiting yourself mentally. The slingshot may have helped you break that barrier somehow, but I think it's just a mental hurdle. Next time you go to squat walk in knowing that you're going up in weight. Don't max yourself out before you even lift the weight.

Edit: and yeah, of course, slack give to our new guy @3six9
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemuscular
@nine0seven I think you were limiting yourself mentally. The slingshot may have helped you break that barrier somehow, but I think it's just a mental hurdle. Next time you go to squat walk in knowing that you're going up in weight. Don't max yourself out before you even lift the weight.

Edit: and yeah, of course, slack give to our new guy @3six9

Now that I think of it, you're probably right. More than likely a mental thing. Never thought the slingshot would have that big of an impact though.
Post 9 IP   flag post
so ur you going to pull/push a BB or not?
Post 10 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
What^?

Special stuff can have a great impact and breaking mental barriers. Whether you know they are there or not.

I benched with chains the other day. Was just doing 6x6 at 185+chains in hopes of becoming more explosive when I go for reps of 225. Next time I tried 225 I guess my body was used to the chains being there and I iust tossed the weight up like nothing. Totally a mental thing I guess.

Congrats on the new pr's!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
so ur you going to pull/push a BB or not?

U WOT?
Post 12 IP   flag post
What I meant was PPL.
Post 13 IP   flag post
And?
Post 14 IP   flag post
^still confused. I do ppl twice a week focusing on heavy core lifts. 3x5 or 5x5.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Do ppl twice per week. one heavy and one lighter.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:

He's not asking how to set up PPL lol you don't understand this thread apparently
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by _RudeCrew
Quote:

He's not asking how to set up PPL lol you don't understand this thread apparently

^this lol. Im pretty my PPL is doing me just fine. Why change what's working? 😎
Post 18 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
And?

Dude its midnight, and im just cruising around the forum to see what has been talked about today. And i've seen you post

AND!??!?!? like 50 times. If people had more to say they would just fucking say it!
Post 19 IP   flag post
Sorry about that guys. Things got a little confused all back on track now.
Post 20 IP   flag post
340762 20 20
destitute