Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Power LiftingSplit Advice

powerlifter should train like bodybuilder !16255

golago private msg quote post Address this user
just have seen a video of omar isuf ,
someone who called Greg saying interesting stuff with evidance and research .
want to hear your opinion guys about this video (especially eknight if u have got time)

i tempted to think that the stuff he is saying are truth from my little knowledge .

research and evidance u can find here
http://www.strengtheory.com/powerlifters-should-train-more-like-bodybuilders/
Post 1 IP   flag post
_RudeCrew private msg quote post Address this user
Most powerlifters train with higher rep schemes. It's nothing new.
Post 2 IP   flag post
@_RudeCrew

srs?
texex method, bill starr ,cube method , they are all low reps with very little high reps schemes it is nt the same .
greg talking about only high reps and wheil u are close to the competiotion only than u should do low reps .

if this what u mean so i didnt know it :S its new for me
Post 3 IP   flag post
WinnersNeverQuit private msg quote post Address this user
@golago cube method is not low reps, especially the assistance he recommends. Many power lifters recommend higher reps to build a base and them taper down for comps.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@WinnersNeverQuit

cube method isnt only low reps but this isnt enough volume compare to bodybuilding routine like as phat.
phat for example can give u more muscle in my opinion what will give u better base to lift heavy than cube method (what greg say)

do the math how much sets for the chest in phat compare to cube
same with quad and hamstring even not close .
Post 5 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
Most powerlifters do high rep range accessory work!

George leeman deadlifts near 900lbs and only does accessory work in the 20 range i believe.

The cube isnt low rep range either! It has a rep day lol!
Post 6 IP   flag post
_RudeCrew private msg quote post Address this user
@golago I think you misunderstand the video. They aren't saying to train completely like a bodybuilder. Some people get into powerlifting and think that means only low rep stuff. BUT there are multiple ways to get strong. Take Andrey Malanichev and Derrek Kendall. 2 of the strongest raw lifters in the world. Andrey trains using mostly only the 3 main lifts, very minimal accessory work and none is high reps. Derrek on the other hand did bodybuilding most his life and now that he got into powerlifting he still does all his accessory work with high reps. 2 people that are incredibly strong that train in completely different ways.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@_RudeCrew

gre gave a research what show that the more muscle u are the more strengh u have and write that u should'nt go more than 85% of your 1 rm except the time before a competiotion

gregf the factors we’ve discussed, muscle size is the only one you’re able to change in a major way in the long run, except for motor learning/neuromuscular efficiency. However, the latter pretty much takes care of itself via practice lifting heavy weights. Muscle size increases with pretty much any type of strength training as well, but it’s clear that there are techniques that are more or less effective for building size. Hint: It’s not max sets of 1-5.

Before going any further, I’d just like to point out that training with a focus on gaining mass to dominate at powerlifting is directly supported in the literature. One study found that in elite level powerlifters, performance in all three lifts was strongly correlated (r=0.8-0.9 for some) to muscle thickness in the prime movers (although bizarrely, it was most strongly correlated to subscapularis thickness in all three lifts, just as an aside). Another, hot off the presses, found again that one of the strongest predictors of performance in national-level lifters was muscle mass per unit height. Big is strong.
Post 8 IP   flag post
A recent study by Brad Schoenfeld illustrated this point beautifully. Two groups of lifters either did 3×10 or 7×3 with the heaviest loads they could lift. At the end of 8 weeks, the group doing sets of 3 gained more strength, but both groups gained the same amount of muscle. Ironically, a lot of strength athletes jumped all over this study, saying, “See, I can get swole doing my heavy triples!” without noticing two major caveats: The 3×10 workout only took 17 minutes, whereas the 7×3 workout took 70, and the subjects in the 3×10 group all wanted to train more, whereas the subjects in the 7×3 group were wrecked by the end of the study.

The superior gains in strength in the 7×3 group don’t particularly phase me either. Of course they’d test better at the end of the study: They were lifting loads closer to max, so they’d be more prepared for hitting a max single. I would almost guarantee if both groups were put on the same 4-6 week peaking protocol after the 8 weeks of different training, those strength differences would largely vanish as the 3×10 group had a chance to improve confidence and efficiency with heavier loads.

So if you can gain the same amount of muscle with ¼ the time in the gym, that probably means that, in the real world, the 3×10 group would have ended up gaining even more mass than the 7×3 group, because they had the desire and the ability to handle more volume than the study protocol allowed for.

ii am not saying it's all trtue but this what he said .bold text
Post 9 IP   flag post
340764 9 9
destitute