Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Split AdviceTraps

trouble shooting traps16184

csizemore21 private msg quote post Address this user
Traps are my biggest trouble spot on my body. I currently and consistently do some type of heavy deadlift variation, farmers walks, hang cleans, and db shrugs. Generally hit them 2x a week not counting farmers walk. One time heavy and one time light. The walks are generally one or two sets of 60 to 90 secs. Literally the only thing that will not grow. Any GOOD non TROLLING suggestions for sets/reps/frequency/exercises from people who actually look like they lift are appreciated.
Post 1 IP   flag post
pandasashi private msg quote post Address this user
just focus on really contracting them during all forms of back work. don't forget that theyre only function isn't bringing your shoulders up but also bringing them back
Post 2 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandasashi
just focus on really contracting them during all forms of back work. don't forget that theyre only function isn't bringing your shoulders up but also bringing them back

This. Traps are my best body part, and I attribute them to rows. Retract your shoulders when doing rows, or do bent over shrugs (not my favorite, but better than upright). I train them whenever I train my back, twice a week, 8-12 reps. I do heavy deads during some portions of my training, but not nearly enough for me to think they've made much of a difference.
Post 3 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Prone DB trap raises, mid-back shrugs, cable scap retractions. -3X
Post 4 IP   flag post
rememberthis private msg quote post Address this user
I personally do Snatch Grip Military Presses -- raise your traps as much as you can everytime you press. It could be dangerous if you don't progress into the weight you can pull correctly, but it's incredibly effective

Edit- I went on youtube to search for what I do and that was the closest thing to it that I found. But the California Strength video on "Snatch Grip Military Presses" aren't really the movement I'm talking about.

This (LINK) is what I'm talking about, minus loading the legs. (if there's a name for this, I'm all ears)
Post 5 IP   flag post
Perfidy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by rememberthis

This (LINK) is what I'm talking about, minus loading the legs. (if there's a name for this, I'm all ears)

If you're talking about moving the bar from your hips to overhead with that same movement, it's a Hang Snatch. Otherwise, what you just linked is a power snatch.

All I've ever done for traps is lots of rows, but I am a big fan of Paused Shrugs (hold at the top for ~3s per rep).
Post 6 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
@csizemore21 The best most effective movement for traps from anatomic standpoint is slightly bent over shrugs.. Standard shrugs tend NOT to include scapular retraction and therefore miss out on half the ROM for upper traps.
This also why the like of Yates rows have been known to develop good traps.. Because it's a bent shrug with a row added in!!

Not convinced? Watch sunneet Sebastian's trap anatomy video on YouTube !!
Post 7 IP   flag post
csizemore21 private msg quote post Address this user
Definitely gonna try alot of this. Thanks guys, hopefully I get them on track!
Post 8 IP   flag post
340609 8 8
destitute