Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
BulkingChestMuscle Imbalance

Help me win $1016172

Kecaldesian private msg quote post Address this user
Me and my buddy have a bet going and I want $10 hah

my right pec is not nearly as thick and developed as my left. We are both firm believers that as you add mass and train with iso lateral movements with good form that it will even out by its self. We also agree that it's not a smart idea to try and train one side more or heavier than the other because it can/will cause even more imbalances.

BUT where the debate comes in is I believe if I do like an extra three sets with my less developed pec on a cable fly that it'll promote grow with out the risk of encountering other imbalances because I'm strictly using my pec in a cable fly. It's not introducing the tricep and very little to no front delt either. He disagrees.

Am I right or is he!?
Post 1 IP   flag post
_RudeCrew private msg quote post Address this user
I think this is the dumbest bet I've ever heard of.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Well that doesn't help at all now does it
Post 3 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kecaldesian
Well that doesn't help at all now does it

To be fair, that didn't help either
Post 4 IP   flag post
Touché
Post 5 IP   flag post
@NorIda seriously though, thoughts?
Post 6 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
He's right. Pay up.

Welsh, et al. used EMG analysis to determine similar activity in the anterior deltoid among barbell bench press, dumbbell bench press, and dumbbell fly. Abstract here: http://mobile.journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/_layouts/oaks.journals.mobile/articleviewer.aspx?year=2005&issue=05000&article=00034#ath -3X
Post 7 IP   flag post
@eknight Well damn. I mean although the front delt is activated, it said its activated significantly less, how much less? Enough to where I wouldn't have to worry to much about other imbalances occuring?
Post 8 IP   flag post
nine0seven private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with @eknight. Training one side with more volume isn't going to stimulate any additional growth. Fix your form and it will fix your problem.
Post 9 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kecaldesian
@eknight Well damn. I mean although the front delt is activated, it said its activated significantly less, how much less? Enough to where I wouldn't have to worry to much about other imbalances occuring?

It didn't say that at all. How did you come to that conclusion?

"Motor unit activation of both muscles (pec major and anterior deltoid) was not significantly different during all 3 lifts." -3X
Post 10 IP   flag post
@nine0seven that's the thing, my form is perfect. That's the first thing I adressed when I started to notice the imbalance. I did how ever start incorporating hammer stength bench and for some reason I feel my inferior pec activating WAY more than I ever did with DB or bb
Post 11 IP   flag post
340738 11 11
destitute