Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
CuttingDiet AdviceFemale FitnessMacrosSplit Advice

24 YO Female Seeking Shredding Advice16159

Slowprogress91 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all,

Seeking diet advice - please keep as simple as possible. (Yes i'm an Amateur)

I work away on a mine site so food options are very restricted. I am aiming at a 1400 calorie diet. My question is based on the image I have attached, which is a better option for me?

I know that macro split is important for shredding but unfortunately protein sources on the island are mostly processed (except for dinner time and this hot food is not allowed to be taken out to work site during the day) and the only fats are cheese or milk (and I am lactose intolerant)besides items I have listed in image attached.

Meal timing is also restricted due to kitchens being open at certain times. I train from 2:30am - 3:30/4am 3-5 times a week and ensure I get 8+ hours sleep a night.

Would you go for Option A or B for 24 y/o woman, 64kgs around 23% body fat and lift (3-4times week) with HIIT training (3 times a week). I also run 9.5-10km once a week as well before a rest day.

My aim is to continue losing weight (body fat) but keep my muscle as much as possible.

All advice is appreciated. If you need anymore info from me, let me know

Post 1 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
1400 kcals is far too low.

Macros make no difference in terms of weight loss. This has been demonstrated numerous times in the research.

Meal timing- also irrelevant.

Have you read the FAQ thread? There's a wealth of info for you there. -3X
Post 2 IP   flag post
Hi

Yes im reading this: http://forum.simplyshredded.com/topic/13958/simply-shredded-faq---read-before-posting/

I got the 1400 from the IIFYM website: http://iifym.com/

Macro's can make a lot of difference if you are trying to maintain muscle but lose body fat. That is my main objection. I have already lost 40kgs and I am at a point where its getting very difficult to move any fat.
Post 3 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
1400 may be what you need if you're sedentary. With your activity level, trust me it's too low.

Would love to hear how macros can make a difference when losing fat and trying to retain lean body mass. As long as you have enough protein (just under a gram/pound bw) macros don't matter. -3X
Post 4 IP   flag post
Ok I have re-entered my data on the calc and this is what it returned. I did up my split based on the website also. Do you agree more with this image?

I do appreciate the advice!

Post 5 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
That still seems a little low, but it's better and your carbs look much better. I honestly wouldn't go any lower kcal wise. You may have to look at increasing activity level. -3X
Post 6 IP   flag post
I am always complaining how hungry I am, at some point I was eating 8 weetbix a day and 10 eggs a day. My appetite was insatiable. A friend told me that when you train hard have to get used to being hungry, do you believe this is true?

New eating plan attached.
Post 7 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I know for a fact that it's NOT true.

You're still not getting nearly enough carbs with the above. My advice: run 1800 kcals as 135 grams protein/202 grams carbs/50 grams of fat. -3X
Post 8 IP   flag post
Ok awesome.

Thanks @eknight!!
Post 9 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
No prob. Stick around and start a log. Lots of helpful people here! -3X
Post 10 IP   flag post
GetFitGoFigure private msg quote post Address this user
Hey Slowprogress91, as eknight states, it has been shown that meal timing and macros don't really matter to build muscle, but I disagree when cutting. But, you have to do what you can with your situation. Timing carbs around your lifting sessions is important for max energy when lifting when in a calorie deficit. Getting in enough protein is important as well for muscle building and feeling satisfied if eating a lower fat diet.

I do agree with the macros eknight suggested.
You can check out my calculations and how I cut calories to shed fat. keep in mind I am working toward a contest as well so I will be aiming for lower bodyfat levels.

The only time I start getting hungry is usually around 6 weeks into a show, otherwise, with carb cycling, cheat meal day and such, I fair pretty well on the hunger scale.

My initial plan: http://www.getfitgofigure.com/my-contest-prep-2015-figure-guide/

Weekly updates- (cutting cals): http://www.getfitgofigure.com/contest-prep-weekly-updates-2015/
Post 11 IP   flag post
@GetFitGoFigure THANK YOU SO MUCH. The information you have provided is truly invaluable to me!!

I will definitely be reading this thoroughly, it answers so many questions and our starting stats are almost identical which will make it easier for me to compare my progress although I have no intention of competing, only getting a figure that I can maintain.
Post 12 IP   flag post
yippee! I am glad you find it helpful. Let me know if you have any further questions as plans can vary person to person.

Heather
Post 13 IP   flag post
@GetFitGoFigure - Heather, biggest issue is that I do my lifting in the morning (3am) so there is no food available to me at this time as kitchens open at 4am. I generally workout on an empty stomach as during the PM the gym on Site is overcrowded and impossible to do a workout. I try to eat the bulk of my carb intake post workout in the morning (so multi grain toast or weetbix).

There is an option for me to keep food in my room as I have a small fridge but my only options are white rice or cereal.
Post 14 IP   flag post
New eating plan?

Post 15 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I would not go below 200 grams of carbs. What's with the carb phobia? And why STILL so few calories? -3X
Post 16 IP   flag post
ErickFromOmaha private msg quote post Address this user
Everyone gets brainwashed about carbs. People think one thing can get you fat and don't take into fact a caloric surplus will. If you're working at a mine (if I read that correctly) Id boost the hell outta my calories and definitely add carbs. It's a good energy source.
Post 17 IP   flag post
ErickFromOmaha private msg quote post Address this user
A reckless calorie surplus*
Post 18 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
As @ErickFromOmaha said, if you have a physical job, and given the amount you exercise, I have your maintenance at around 2700 cals/day. Might be a bit high, but I don't think your're eating enough calories either.
Post 19 IP   flag post
@ErickFromOmaha & @eknight

I will freely admit I have a bit of a carb phobia only because I used to be grossly overweight and when I ate a paleo style diet most of my weight fell off.

I workout infinitely more than I used to when I was overweight, I am sure its more than possible to maintain my current weight with carbs in my diet HOWEVER my goal is still to drop body fat and in my mind carbs prevent me from doing that.

I also notice the way they make me feel. Eating high fat and protein diet gives me a constant state, no carb lows and always feeling energised. I know that non-processed carbs are the best option but even these give me a massive low, making me feel tired, weak and sluggish. I hate that feeling after a workout when you are on top of the world but as soon as I eat a carby breakfast it absolutely kills my mood.

Biggest thing is that a lot of cleaner carb options are not available for me here on the island - Weetbix, potato, white rice, multigrain bread are my main options but ideally I would like sweet potato, brown rice, or even quinoa. Where I work is a Class A Reserve on an Island so I don't have my own kitchen and I am not allowed to bring a lot of my own foods to the island. Due to quarantine restrictions, hot food isn't allowed to be taken to work on site, its only available to you at dinner in a dining hall and cannot be removed.
Post 20 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I don't know what to tell you then. I don't believe you will meet optimal health and your goal physique with this mindset. There's two threads linked in the FAQ thread called "Carbs, don't cut 'em 1/2" I'd have a look at those- I think they'd be helpful in potentially changing your approach. -3X
Post 21 IP   flag post
@eknight & @GetFitGoFigure

Final Plan - 1800 Calories & Almost Perfect Split Incl 200gm Carbs. Any comments?

Post 22 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Looks better. Make sure you're eating enough to be healthy. Nobody looks good in hospital whites, no matter how conditioned they are. Just keep that in mind. Go get 'em now. -3X
Post 23 IP   flag post
@eknight, read your 'Carbs, don't cut 'em' article and VERY valid points! Surprised by results and also the amount of responses from readers who have had a lot of success without cutting carbs also.

Thanks for your support! Ill try start a log when I can get my ass into gear.
Post 24 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Sounds good. Can't objectively comment on your ass without seeing it. -3X
Post 25 IP   flag post
You should find one in my profile photo album - just sayin'
Post 26 IP   flag post
MMB private msg quote post Address this user
@Slowprogress91 you seems like someone who wanna get this for real and also you seem to be a funny person.

Hopefully you'll start a log so we can all help you to reach your goals. Also good thing you listened to @EK, he's a very important member to our community among others. He knows aaaaalot!

So in short words.. Welcome to our boards miss.
Post 27 IP   flag post
@MMB Thanks and yes I do really want this. I have already come so far, I want to see how far I can push my body and be the best I can be.

I think EK might regret giving me advice and showing his wealth of knowledge because I will probably hound him all the time now for his opinion! I am so grateful that the fitness/health community is always willing to reach out and help others who are trying to find their way.
Post 28 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowprogress91
You should find one in my profile photo album - just sayin'

Just checked. 3X approved! -3X
Post 29 IP   flag post
oh yes! the second post you put of your macros is so much better than the first! Especially with your activity level...

So, lifting on an empty stomach.... I know the food situation is not ideal but can you have some fruit snacks and some protein drink before you hit the gym? something easy and not heavy? or, drink dextrose + BCAA's intra workout. Both bypass digestion so it can be utilized more quickly.
Post 30 IP   flag post
340738 31 30
destitute