Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
BackSplit Advice

Push pull ratio, grip in pull-ups/pulldowns16136

Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
I'm sitting here planning my new routine and from now on i'm going to have almost twice as much pulling volume than pushing volume so my small shoulder imbalance hopefully goes away.
But i have a question regarding pull-ups and overhand pulldowns, doesn't the shoulder internally rotate in these, like in pushing movements?
And how is it with a neutral grip, is that a better option in my case (dislike supinated vertical pulls)?
Post 1 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
All of these movements are shoulder extension and scapular retraction. No internal/medial rotation occurs. -3X
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
All of these movements are shoulder extension and scapular retraction. No internal/medial rotation occurs. -3X

I was thinking about humeral internal/external rotation, scroll down to #5 here to see what i mean :P
Post 3 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
It's surprising to see them listed as an "internal rotation" movement because the amount of rotation is so minimal, but yes, Cressey, is actually correct here. I stand corrected. You can further minimize the amount of medial rotation by keeping a more upright posture and bringing your arms straight up and down like a piston, rather than pulling back and squeezing your scapula. Good catch. -3X
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
It's surprising to see them listed as an "internal rotation" movement because the amount of rotation is so minimal, but yes, Cressey, is actually correct here. I stand corrected. You can further minimize the amount of medial rotation by keeping a more upright posture and bringing your arms straight up and down like a piston, rather than pulling back and squeezing your scapula. Good catch. -3X

Alright, this small internal rotation doesn't occur if one uses a supinated/neutral grip right?
Post 5 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
With a supinated grip, it would be almost null. With a neutral grip it depends on how far you let the elbows flare out. -3X
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
With a neutral grip it depends on how far you let the elbows flare out. -3X

About shoulder width, upper arms touching the side of the body in the bottom position.
Post 7 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight

-3X
Post 8 IP   flag post
340734 8 8
destitute