Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
LegsSplit Advice

Leg assistance exercises16122

OHPloser private msg quote post Address this user
My current Squat routine is squats, RDL, Leg extension, reverse lunge and standing calf.
With my Deadlift routine being Deadlift, front Squat, Leg curl, Bulgarian split Squat and Seated calf.

My question is would you advise swapping out the Bulgarian split Squat and reverse lunge for an assistance exercise for the main two say a pause Squat and deficit Deadlift or stick with them?

Thanks
Post 1 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Without looking at your entire routine, it's difficult to comment, but the thing that stands out to me is the odd choices of exercises as a whole. Too much quad, and not enough ham; not a fan of extensions (unnecessary/knee health); seated calf raises only work the soleus, so doing those without some form of straight leg calf raises is only working half the muscle. -3X
Post 2 IP   flag post
Thanks for the reply. My current routine is a Push/Pull/Legs. I have 2 workouts for each just for a bit of variation mentally.
So my Squat workout is Squats,RDL,Leg extension, reverse lunge and standing calf
The Deadlift workout is dead, front Squat, Leg curl, Bulgarian split Squat and Seated calf.
Do you have any recommendations on exercise choice?
Would toe press do for the Deadlift workout to hit both leaving standing calf for the Squat day?
Post 3 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Toe presses are good. What are your goals? -3X
Post 4 IP   flag post
Eat2Trainn247 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
Toe presses are good. What are your goals? -3X
ditto...

Powerlifting, bodybuilding, general health/wellness, strength, etc.
Post 5 IP   flag post
At the moment just to gain some lean mass and focus on my strength no goals to do a Powerlifting meet yet but maybe next year.
Post 6 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Given that, I would personally advise:

Squat workout: Squats, hack squats (2 sets), leg press (2 sets), split squats (2 sets), standing calf.
Deadlift workout: dead, GHR (2 sets), Leg curl (2 sets), hip thrusts (2 sets), single leg deads (2 sets), donkey calf raise. -3X
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thanks for the advice I switch it around to that and see how I get on.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Eat2Trainn247 private msg quote post Address this user
Exercise variety has been shown to further enhance muscle hypertrophy rather than monotony so I second @eknight 's recommendations.

In terms of #'s of sets, however, that will depend on total volume and progression style
Post 9 IP   flag post
Well that's good news I get bored quickly with the same accessory work, big 3/4 never get bored of but the rest can get tedium.

At the moment with the main lifts at the moment just hitting 3-5 sets of 3-5 until 5x5 is hit then increase the weight.
Post 10 IP   flag post
340763 10 10
destitute