Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
BulkingSplit AdviceTeen

Skinny Fat struggling to make gains16009

NeedToMakeGainz private msg quote post Address this user
What is my body fat? Probably 17%
and it seems as if im not making visible gains because of it. I am pretty weak and struggle to make noon gains even on a 350 calorie surplus.

Weight: 159-160 (underweight I know)
Height:6'1

Maxes
Bench: 145
Deadlift: 245
Squat: 185-190
Bent R: 105

I am doing a 5/3/1 Who was Cns variation
My main goal is to be strong and defined/lean. Just a a good amount of muscle.
Please tell me if I should cut down the fat and lean up. Also what program will help reach my goals, since I'm struggling for awhile.

My chest is really small, as is my back I believe. Please help, thanks.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Dem41 private msg quote post Address this user
a couple of things we need to know so we can help you

1 have you read the FAQ

2 whats your actual calorie intake and macro split

3 your lifting experience
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dem41

1 have you read the FAQ

1. Just read it
2. 2700 calorie intake, not always consistent, also vegetarian. No macro split ( really slow weight gain)
3. A few months of Real training (compound lifting)
Post 3 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
@NeedToMakeGainz Curious what your main protein sources are and how much per day you consume.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedToMakeGainz
Quote:

1 have you read the FAQ

1. Just read it
2. 2700 calorie intake, not always consistent, also vegetarian. No macro split ( really slow weight gain)

imo you really should take some time and get your diet in order, diet is just as important as lifting and recovery, your calories seem a bit low also, example is im 6 ft and 42 years old and im gaining .5 a week on 3000 calories a day on 4 days training a week. consistency is key
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemuscular
@NeedToMakeGainz Curious what your main protein sources are and how much per day you consume.
. Milk, Alot of beans, protein shakes, almonds, peanuts, protein bars , Greek yogurt, brown rice, basically beans.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedToMakeGainz
Quote:

1 have you read the FAQ

1. Just read it

imo you really should take some time and get your diet in order, diet is just as important as lifting and recovery, your calories seem a bit low also, example is im 6 ft and 42 years old and im gaining .5 a week on 3000 calories a day on 4 days training a week. consistency is key
I feel like if I eat 3000, I'll just add more fat towards my already fat deposits. Also, what do you think of a good training regimen. I don't really do so well in full body workouts. I don't feel progress or muscle gains.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I feel like if I eat 3000, I'll just add more fat towards my already fat deposits.
when building muscle, you will gain some fat along with that muscle, the key is to keep the fat gain to a minimum, hence why knowing your macro split and calorie intake is so important.

Also, what do you think of a good training regimen.
with your experience, i would stick with one of the starting routines that are listed in the FAQ until you no longer see any progress, those are great starter programs that are proven to work, wish i would have started there instead of a bro split.

I don't really do so well in full body workouts. I don't feel progress or muscle gains
if your not in a calorie surplus, you will get stronger to a point, but you wont see the muscle gain that your after.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
I feel like if I eat 3000, I'll just add more fat towards my already fat deposits.
when building muscle, you will gain some fat along with that muscle, the key is to keep the fat gain to a minimum, hence why knowing your macro split and calorie intake is so important.

Also, what do you think of a good training regimen.
with your experience, i would stick with one of the starting routines that are listed in the FAQ until you no longer see any progress, those are great starter programs that are proven to work, wish i would have started there instead of a bro split.

I don't really do so well in full body workouts. I don't feel progress or muscle gains
if your not in a calorie surplus, you will get stronger to a point, but you wont see the muscle gain that your after.
thanks for the info. Can you estimate my body fat?
Post 9 IP   flag post
i have no clue there on bodyfat %.
Post 10 IP   flag post
LVjack private msg quote post Address this user
Why do people care about their bodyfat levels? I just look in the mirror and if I'm a fat ass im fat, if im lean im lean. By knowing your BF% what do you hope to accomplish? A guy at my gym is 1%bf. How do I know? Because he tells me all the time lol.

And if you want to be strong eat some meat. Protein shakes, nuts, beans and milk isn't gonna do much.

Don't cut bc you will just be skinny. You should focus on being strong as hell. I personally can tell from your post you need more of an alpha attitude when it comes to training. Find that anger or whatever to make a change.

I probably came across as an ass in this post but I have good intentions. Just worry about getting strong and developing mental strength.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVjack
Why do people care about their bodyfat levels? I just look in the mirror and if I'm a fat ass im fat, if im lean im lean. By knowing your BF% what do you hope to accomplish? A guy at my gym is 1%bf. How do I know? Because he tells me all the time lol.

And if you want to be strong eat some meat. Protein shakes, nuts, beans and milk isn't gonna do much.

Don't cut bc you will just be skinny. You should focus on being strong as hell. I personally can tell from your post you need more of an alpha attitude when it comes to training. Find that anger or whatever to make a change.

I probably came across as an ass in this post but I have good intentions. Just worry about getting strong and developing mental strength.
cant eat meat because of religion. I understand what you mean by the mirror reference and alpha mode, thanks
Post 12 IP   flag post
Sharkoon1 private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think you are eating enough calories as mentioned above just to give you a good example, i'm 5 7 140 pounds and eat around 2800 calories and gain about 0,5-8 lbs a week.
Post 13 IP   flag post
LVjack private msg quote post Address this user
I'm glad you didn't think I was just a jerk. I understand about the religion thing now, makes it more difficult but not impossible. Focus on progress not perfection. That's my favorite quote. Think about what you will look like in 5, 10 or 15 years if you stick with it. Longevity combined with proper nutrition and training will always provide results. Best of luck!
Post 14 IP   flag post
Tritons private msg quote post Address this user
Just eat more calories, add some protein, pick some good routine - PPL, Westside, and you will grow, belive me.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVjack
I'm glad you didn't think I was just a jerk. I understand about the religion thing now, makes it more difficult but not impossible. Focus on progress not perfection. That's my favorite quote. Think about what you will look like in 5, 10 or 15 years if you stick with it. Longevity combined with proper nutrition and training will always provide results. Best of luck!
thanks for the motivation, I'll try to up calories with clean foods and focus on linear progression, but I'm still confused on the training regimen
Post 16 IP   flag post
http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc if i use this calculator with your stats i get out about 3k cals for just 200 surplus your maintaince should be around 2800, try this calculator its pretty good and then track your weight gain , or do 3k calories or 3100 and then go from there, track your weight for about 2 -4 weeks because water gain if yo uup your calories now, and then adjust from there if you gain to much you reduce it a bit by like 100 or 50 if you gain to less you up it.

Also you can start a log here it's pretty awesome to get motivation from other people helps you to stay on the path and be strong and we can help you out if you got problems questions form nutriton or other stuf! It's easier to overwatch things, other then that good luck on your journey!

A 5x5 program will do good, i'm doing icf 5x5 right now i really like it, it's good to build a strength fundation and get the size affect too in the beginning you won't regret it, just look in the faq at the link to 5x5 ICF its good for size and strength!

Also don't stress about cutting go into bulking first after a few month when you see the amount of growth you don't even want to stop bulking and you will love it, just get thing's going and it will all go by itself
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkoon1
http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc if i use this calculator with your stats i get out about 3k cals for just 200 surplus your maintaince should be around 2800, try this calculator its pretty good and then track your weight gain , or do 3k calories or 3100 and then go from there, track your weight for about 2 -4 weeks because water gain if yo uup your calories now, and then adjust from there if you gain to much you reduce it a bit by like 100 or 50 if you gain to less you up it.

Also you can start a log here it's pretty awesome to get motivation from other people helps you to stay on the path and be strong and we can help you out if you got problems questions form nutriton or other stuf! It's easier to overwatch things, other then that good luck on your journey!

A 5x5 program will do good, i'm doing icf 5x5 right now i really like it, it's good to build a strength fundation and get the size affect too in the beginning you won't regret it, just look in the faq at the link to 5x5 ICF its good for size and strength!

Also don't stress about cutting go into bulking first after a few month when you see the amount of growth you don't even want to stop bulking and you will love it, just get thing's going and it will all go by itself
thanks man I'll definitely check on I'm it's going to be hard to reach a higher calorie intake, since I struggle with 2700 with clean as I can calories
Post 18 IP   flag post
Eat oatmeal's i have about big oatmeal's i do eat alot "clean" aswell because i have alot allergies, i break out pretty fast from alot of stuff so i try to stay away from it, my biggest calories come from oatmeal in the morning about 1k cals with banana and almond milk peanut butter, you can easy fit in 2 oatmeals in your day
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkoon1
Eat oatmeal's i have about big oatmeal's i do eat alot "clean" aswell because i have alot allergies, i break out pretty fast from alot of stuff so i try to stay away from it, my biggest calories come from oatmeal in the morning about 1k cals with banana and almond milk peanut butter, you can easy fit in 2 oatmeals in your day
I used to eat raw oatmeal everyday, idk why I stopped. Time to get those carbs back i geuss
Post 20 IP   flag post
Yeah man oatmeal is the best thing in the world taste's freaking good and is easy food for a bulk calory dense as fuck!
Post 21 IP   flag post
pandasashi private msg quote post Address this user
youre not underweight... weight doesn't mean shit most of the time, you are heavier than me (im 150-155 at 5'11"
just keep lifting and eating big...don't worry about losing weight/fat yet, just get bigger and then cut in a year or more
Post 22 IP   flag post
340740 22 22
destitute