Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Injury RecoverySplit Advice

Maintaining muscle mass while injured15970

Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
As the title says, lately my herniated disc has been giving me some problems and it seems that pretty much every leg exercise except leg extensions, leg curls and just above parallel split squats makes it worse (barely any pain, more tingling in my ass, which is new to me).
On top of this it seems that i have gotten a small rupture in my right triceps long head that hurts when i make any movement that stretches the long head of the triceps, like vertical/horizontal pulls and tricepsextensions.
So, what would you have done in my shoes to preserve as much muscle mass as possible?
Do you think that i will loose any noticible amount of muscle mass if i do the 2 workouts below every third day (2 on, 1 off) for ~3-4 weeks?
The lats and triceps will ofcourse suffer since i can't do any vertical/horizontal pulling and tricepsextension without feeling the rupture a little bit, but the rest?
Also, /2', /1,5' are rest between sets.

Workout A
Bulgarian split squats: 3x10/2'
Leg extension: 2x12/1,5'
Seated leg curls: 3x10/2'
Lying leg curl: 2x12/1,5'
Calf press in 45° leg press: 3x10 + 2x15-20/1'
Crunches (scapula barely leaving floor): 3x10 + 2x10-15/1'
Plank: 3xMax/0.5

Workout B
Flat dumbbell flyes: 3x10/2' + 2x12/1.5'
Db front raise: 3x10/1.5'
Lateral raise: 3x10/1.5'
Rear delt flyes (machine): 3x10 + 2x12/1.5'
Shrugs: 3x10/1.5'
Preachercurl: 3x10/1.5'
Hammercurl: 2x12/1.5'
Internal and external rotation for rotatorcuffs: 2x10-15/0.5'
+ 3 very light sets of rope pushdowns only to get some blood in the triceps to speed up the recovery.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Tritons private msg quote post Address this user
What helped me with my back injury was working on my mobility and strengthening deep abdominal muscles. Aswell as working on my form.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritons
What helped me with my back injury was working on my mobility and strengthening deep abdominal muscles. Aswell as working on my form.

I've been doing the plank and 2-3x10 Mckenzie extensions daily since it all happened (3 years ago) and i've also been doing reverse hypers (5x10 afternoon + 5x10 evening) the last 2 months (advice from Eknight).
And my form is spot on in all my exercises, i did however squat to deep for a period of time which caused a nasty butt wink, so when my back allows me to squat i only go to parallel to avoid this (high bar).
Post 3 IP   flag post
340735 3 3
destitute