Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
ShouldersSplit Advice

Under developed right delt/trap15966

Jwooddb private msg quote post Address this user
Hi everyone please could you give a noobie some good advise and be a huge help. As you can see in my photo my right side is seriously under developed. How can I start to sort this out right away as I want to start stepping my weight up but I don't think I should be doing this until I am evened out?

Thank you

Post 1 IP   flag post
_RudeCrew private msg quote post Address this user
How the hell did that even happen?
Post 2 IP   flag post
I'm not sure of it's from holding the left DB and getting the right passed to me. So all my left shoulder area hold my arm steady acting as supporting miscles on chest press for example or if it is a problem. What do you think?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Salokin private msg quote post Address this user
no way its from that.
This may actually be a genetic issue not a training one.
Not to be mean, but there isn't that much muscle on the left side.
Are your upper back/trap/shoulder exercises all dumbbell? Do you lift the same with both arms?
Post 4 IP   flag post
This is what I'm not sure about. It may be just how it is. I have switched to DB now as before I used mainly BB. My left side of a lot stronger so if I tried I could lift more with it, I want to know if I should just concentrate on form or maybe do some heavier reps on the right side to try bring it back?
Post 5 IP   flag post
TimmothyGen private msg quote post Address this user
Are you in a class room?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Salokin private msg quote post Address this user
i'd suggest working to your weaker side's maximum potential.
Example:

you can db shoulder press 40lbs on the left but only 30 on the right. Do sets with 30lbs for both. Keep reps the same for both. Basically maintain the left while building the right.

Try this for 2 months or so on all upper back/trap/shoulder exercises and see if the strength and size of the right side comes up.

If that does or doesn't work then you probably have your answer.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thank you very much. I will show you know the results if you want?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Tamere02 private msg quote post Address this user
I think (from that pic) that you have a shoulder which is higher up then the other. If you look at your 'angel wings' (no idea the actual term for them are but the bones somewhat sticking out on the back where wings exist for angels) the right one is visibly lower then the other.

Don't think this is training related even if im wrong about the shoulder being lower then the other
Post 9 IP   flag post
kickinchicken private msg quote post Address this user
Your head no not inline with your spine. You're leaning your head. Also, from the indents in your lower traps it definitely looks like you're shrugging your left side and not your right. Hold a dumbbell in each hand and shrug both sides as high as you can and take a new back pic. I bet your traps are fine.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I have taken a couple of picture with DB in my hands so you can see the difference.

Post 11 IP   flag post
Hamer93 private msg quote post Address this user
That's some posture issues, your right shoulder is considerably lower than your left. Also what is your dominant hand and what is your job?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Could a doctor recommend something? Or is this something that will never be ok? I work at a desk most of the time sometimes out and about on sites.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Definitely looks like a developmental issue to me. Def tell your doc so you can track back/shoulder issues in the future.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Does this mean I will never be able to form my right hand side?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Not neccessarily. You'd have to talk to a ortho physician or physical therapist though. There's muscle there so it can be developed but you should be more worried about future shoulder or spine issues first. It may not be a musclular issue. May be orthopedic/skeletal issue. You can't really tell without X rays though.
Post 16 IP   flag post
That's my thought, I can see the muscle so it should grow. I will book into the doctor this week and ask some questions. Thank you for your advise.
Post 17 IP   flag post
340738 17 17
destitute