Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
NewbieSplit Advice

older gents advice15908

csizemore21 private msg quote post Address this user
My dad is 5'6 250 pounds. He walks about 3 nights a week prob around 5 miles, but its not all at once. He drives a truck and has a pretty big stomach, he looks like he's pregnant tbh. He asked me tonight to get him started with the gym bc his back is hurting him and he wants to feel healthy again. I would really like to help him, and advice from older knowledgeable members would be nice. As of now I was thinking about getting him in the gym 2x a week. Like a monday and Thursday. Doing bodyweight squats off of a box, hammer strength rows, hammer strength or standing pushups off a smith bar set to the nip line or slightly above and face pulls all 3x12-15. He's never lifted weights before, but has done alot of labor throughout his life. Does this sound like a good start weight training wise?
Post 1 IP   flag post
rememberthis private msg quote post Address this user
From personal experience with my pops:

I would have him do functional movements that will allow him to eventually jump into the big 4 (Squat, DL, bench press, military press.)

In all honesty though, I think this (LINK) is the best book you can purchase him.

It has all the basic information he'll need to understand what it is he's doing and it has different levels of complexity.

He won't read it? Hire a personal trainer. Teaching an old dog new tricks is no easy task.
Post 2 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
How old is he and what are his working hours?
Post 3 IP   flag post
@rememberthis I'll look into the book
@wannabemuscular 43 mon-fri 9-9
Post 4 IP   flag post
@csizemore21 hahaha!! He's only 2 years older than me.

First of all, help him get a hold of his eating. Make sure his choices are all based on food with nutritious value. No garbage. No soda or other sugary drinks. Suggest he go for a mile walk every morning before doing anything else. Only drink water and go. This will get him on a heart healthy track. Anything else is icing on the cake.

Maybe make up a nice simple split for him and get him to train with you for a while to keep him motivated. Maybe some elliptical and some basic weight training....
Post 5 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
Considering he sits in a truck all the time, he will probably need to stretch like a mofo to get correct range of motions on many things.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@wannabemuscular I'm working with him on it. I never knew how hard it was to convert people to better food choices lol. Coke is his demise
Post 7 IP   flag post
@SOLARSUPLEX most definitely. Dude has 0 mobility lol
Post 8 IP   flag post
@csizemore21 Dude if he just cuts out the coke and gets some activity he'll make crazy fast improvements for the first couple months.

You have to remember, at his age he has to start really taking heart health seriously. The typical "truckers diet" is like the heart attack special.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@wannabemuscular yeah I'm trying with the coke, but he seems addicted lol and he's pretty ran down for his age
Post 10 IP   flag post
Salokin private msg quote post Address this user
I find that one of the hardest things for that generation is actually knowledge. The school system did not educate on nutrition very well at all.
Ask him what a carbohydrate is or if fat is bad and I bet his level of knowledge (or lack of it) will drop your jaw.

My inlaws and my own parents know very little about nutrition's link to health. Ask them their BMR and watch their head spin.

Get your pops educated too. It will help him make wise food choices for the long haul.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Dem41 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemuscular
@csizemore21 Dude if he just cuts out the coke and gets some activity he'll make crazy fast improvements for the first couple months.

You have to remember, at his age he has to start really taking heart health seriously. The typical "truckers diet" is like the heart attack special.

^^^^
awesome advice here, comming from an older guy that spent years infront of the computer 6-18 hours a day and living on fast food/soda. i know tons of " studys" nowdays say diet soda is worse then normal soda for you, it can be used as a stepping stone to get off soda. worked for me, the key really is finding something that he likes to keep himself motivated.
walking is great, as is bicycling and its not as stressful on the knees as running
Post 12 IP   flag post
340762 12 12
destitute