Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Split AdviceTraining Programs

Accessories15906

rememberthis private msg quote post Address this user
Is there a key accessory that will really break through a plateau? Or should I vary the accessories all the time to make sure I stimulate the muscle from different ways.

I remember hearing EK once talk about dumbbell pressing from a Swiss ball to gain some strength on the bench press.
Was it important to just get better at this particular accessory? Did you pick it because you just "felt right"? Or did you notice a muscular deficiency in your lift that pointed you in the direction of this type of exercise?

There isn't a lot of talk about accessories. If anyone wants to drop in their two cents, it would be greatly appreciated!

edit- Also, what's an ideal range for accessories? Can they be used to cheat in some hypertrophy into the day's workout?
Post 1 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
I did and do my accessory work in a slightly higher rep range than my power work (usually 6-8 reps). I generally choose accessory work based on its carryover to the lifts I'm training and wear my weaknesses are. For Swiss ball presses, those helped in a lot of areas, so they were a no-brainer. -3X
Post 2 IP   flag post
For example, I've been doing weighted dips and skull crushers forever as an accessory to the bench press -- it was pointed out to me once that my triceps were failing during the lift.

I've made progress on the dips, lots of progress. I'm scared if I switch the exercise, that my triceps won't get that different of a boost and I'll loose strength on the dips. The overall goal is to get better at the core lifts, really, but I'm not entirely sure if there is a better way to get my triceps stronger than the two exercises I mentioned.
Post 3 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Any movement that extends the elbows will work the triceps. If you're worried about getting stronger in the bench press in particular, close-grip bench pressing and rolling DB extensions would be my picks, as one mimics the technique for bench pressing, and the other adequately stresses the long head of the triceps. Behind the back (bench) dips are also quite good. -3X
Post 4 IP   flag post
Thanks a lot!
Post 5 IP   flag post
340764 5 5
destitute