Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
1RMPower LiftingSplit Advice

About testing maxes15895

darklight79 private msg quote post Address this user
I seen a lot of posts about it being better to train for strength instead of demonstrating strength.
Question is, how frequently?
My training blocks are in 3/4 month phases. I've been through 3 blocks. Starting my 4th end of this week.
If i do decide to go for a mock meet, how should i go about it?
What percentage of my estimated training maxes should i start with on the first set?
Apprehensive but eager.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Tamere02 private msg quote post Address this user
With your training blocks being so long it would make sense to test your max and see the improvements in strength at the end of every training block.

Don't think you should use a strict % of your max to determine the weight your going to use. Would probably recoomend using a number that is half way between your best single and your 1rm then going off feel for the rest until you don't get the rep.

If you insist on doing a mock meet with only 3 attempts then I know most people recommend starting off with a weight you can comfortably get a triple with, then hit your training max and then go of feel.
Post 2 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
Just for sake of reps. Ive never tried to do a mock meet of sorts. But when trying to max out, i usually get in a solid warmup. Hit a weight that i KNOW i can do 5 rep for 1

Then do singles after adding enough weight.
Post 3 IP   flag post
darklight79 private msg quote post Address this user
Appreciated.
Post 4 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamere02

If you insist on doing a mock meet with only 3 attempts then I know most people recommend starting off with a weight you can comfortably get a triple with, then hit your training max and then go of feel.

This is exactly what I did for most of my powerlifting career. It wasn't until I was pretty advanced that I tweaked my approach. Reps. -3X
Post 5 IP   flag post
340762 5 5
destitute