Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
ChestShouldersSplit Advice

slingshot is amazing for bad shoulders15894

csizemore21 private msg quote post Address this user
My shoulders have never felt so great after benching. Literally the best investment I've ever made other than condoms lol
Post 1 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
So you're telling me. You would rather have this here slingshot than underwear.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Probably lol. Underwear doesn't keep my shoulder pain away and increase my bench lol
Post 3 IP   flag post
_RudeCrew private msg quote post Address this user
Told you it was awesome lol
Post 4 IP   flag post
Have you tried putting underwear across your chest when benching? Cause thats what the slingshot looks like
Post 5 IP   flag post
this is u
Post 6 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
@SOLARSUPLEX Works better with Superman underoos.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@_RudeCrew you where right rude. I feel like it adds more than 10% though
Post 8 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry, but can anyone explain to me HOW this thing is supposed to improve shoulder health? It looks to me like it basically does the same thing as reverse band presses- which isn't necessarily a bad thing- but it decreases the eccentric load placed on the muscles during work, which can definitely be a bad thing. -3X
Post 9 IP   flag post
I'm not sure how it does other than deloading weight off the chest, like chains and bands, guess its just more convenient and my shoulders didn't hurt at all and I did 350 for a triple then 225 for 18.
Post 10 IP   flag post

konstantinovs uses it
Post 11 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Great for him. Isn't he really more of a "deadlift guy," than a "bench press guy?" I'm not poo-pooing him, and I know lots of people use it. But let's be honest- at my prime I was a better bencher than most of them and I only used something similar a sporadic 2 or 3 times in a decade of competing, so I'm not really concerned with it as a tool to improve my numbers. My question is specifically about how it relates to shoulder health. At 40, years of heavy training have left me with some chronic inflammation in my shoulders, so I'm curious since the title of this post was that it's great "for bad shoulders." I can double wrap a band around my upper arms and get the same effect in terms of deloading and save $50, which I'm currently using to buy NSAIDs, lol. -3X
Post 12 IP   flag post
Well it's rather simple. My right shoulder has always been plagued by pain when using a barbell, my form isn't the best, but isn't bad. It takes away any bit of pain I typically get from benching. Just because you have alternative ways to ease your pain doesn't take away from the fact that it did help mine and would prob help others. Maybe it has something to do with bone structure. I just know it helps me and I'm sure it would others. 50 dollars really isn't much.
Post 13 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
If your shoulder has always been plagued by pain and you admit your form isn't correct, wouldn't the prudent thing be to correct your form and strength deficits rather than band-aid them? That's why I'm dubious to its effect on shoulder health. Anyone with any knowledge of anatomy and a sample size larger than n=1 have any input? -3X
Post 14 IP   flag post
I didn't say my form was bad, I said it wasn't the best. I doubt yours is either, perfect form doesn't exist. I would assume with your understanding of anatomy you would agree. Also I'm not lifting to compete in powerlifting, I'm not using it as a bandaid. I'm using it as a safety precaution bc I get plenty of safe work from NEUTRAL grip dbs
Post 15 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Never said there was "perfect form," but there is certainly form that prevents injury and pain. Yours apparently does not. I'll have to presume that since I never had any shoulder problems, pain, or injuries when I was competing that my form was within those parameters. I'm not going to sit here and argue with you all morning. You've made a claim that I asked you to substantiate and you either can't or won't. Seems to be your MO that when someone challenges something you say, you get defensive and change the subject. Why else would you mention specific powerlifters who use the thing, and then immediately say you're not powerlifting??

If anyone else has some input, I'm all ears. It seems to keep your elbows in a "forced tucked," position, so your shoulders are laterally rotated. Is this the case? If so, why wouldn't you work on increasing strength and stability or your lateral and medial rotators rather than use this? -3X
Post 16 IP   flag post
You kill me man forreal. My form is fine, some people do better with certain lifts than others. I made a claim based on my opiniion and how it treated me personally, never said I had any facts. Also yes I compared a powerlifter as a generalization.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@eknight from what I know, it's not supposed to really improve shoulder health, but to just allow people with shoulder issues to bench with a full range of motion, pain free.
Post 18 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
How? -3X
Post 19 IP   flag post
Just by deloading off the chest and taking stress off the shoulder, like reverse bands. Whether or not it's actually better for your shoulder or not, I just use it cause I enjoy it. Could I use reverse bands? Ya. But I like it more and got it as a gift last year haha
Post 20 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Do you feel like it hinders you off the bottom on your regular raw press? -3X
Post 21 IP   flag post
I would say DEFINITELY if you used it too much. But I think it wouldn't hurt if you are doing plenty of pause presses and wide grip bench.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Another point, I do think people abuse it and use it too much. But for simple overload and as a tricep builder, I think its awesome.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
I've actually never used it, but it sounds a lot like lifting shoes. People with ankle mobility issues benefit a lot from them, but you still shouldn't ignore the problems you have. Work on mobility, squatting with lower weights without shoes, and hit your actual workouts with shoes. Same would go for bench form.
Post 24 IP   flag post
strauss private msg quote post Address this user
I've used it before and enjoy it for what it is, a tool that seems to keep my shoulder from becoming inflamed, I won't use it for every set just once I feel my shoulder starting to tire so it still allows me to lift heavy. I agree with ek I don't think it helps shoulder health it just helps keep your form tight when your shoulders are tired and helps get out of the hole
Post 25 IP   flag post
Its a great rehab device
Post 26 IP   flag post
strauss private msg quote post Address this user
I can definitely see that I have a shoulder injury and like I said I use it and find it very helpful to allow you to push yourself further with heavier weight
Post 27 IP   flag post
340764 27 27
destitute