Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
5 3 1Split AdviceTeenTraining Programs

First setup of 5/3/115882

SnackIt private msg quote post Address this user
After reading the 531 book, i have tried to calculate 2 cycles using an calculator from blackironbeast, adding 5 pounds to bench and OHP and 10 pounds to squat and deadlift, I'm supposed to add that to wendlers training max and not the real 1 RM?? so i tried to make 2 cycles:

Cycle 1

Cycle 2

This is in kg, also what i did was to use the first wendler maxes from cycle 1 and added 2 kg to upper lifts and 5 kg to lower lifts, and calculated that into the wendler max lift and got the cycle 2, is that the right way to do it? doesn't look like the cycle 2 have added weight to some movements etc.. just can't seem to figure out what to do on cycle 2
Post 1 IP   flag post
So confused right now
Post 2 IP   flag post
Dem41 private msg quote post Address this user
After reading the 531 book, i have tried to calculate 2 cycles using an calculator from blackironbeast, adding 5 pounds to bench and OHP and 10 pounds to squat and deadlift, I'm supposed to add that to wendlers training max and not the real 1 RM??

correct, after setting your training max with the program, 85-90% of your 1RM, the 5/10 lbs are to your training max, not your 1rm.
not sure on those links, i use a excel spread sheet for my calculations, but 5 lbs on ohp/bench training max's will not always translate to 5 lb increases each week
Post 3 IP   flag post
@Dem41 Anywhere i can get the spreadsheet? been looking at some spreadsheet but some don't cover kg
Post 4 IP   flag post
This is what i get from strstd after plugging in my 1 RM, this also uses 90% of 1RM as wendler recommends, is this right? how would i start my 2nd cycle? i know that I'm gonna add 5 pounds to bench and OHP and 10 pounds to squats and deadlift, but i don't understand how i would line up the next 2nd cycle, could use the strstd calculator again?

Post 5 IP   flag post
I can't remember where I got it, but it is available online if you google it, here is a SS and it does work in kg
Post 6 IP   flag post
Does the two first cycles look right?

Post 7 IP   flag post
Looks ok
Post 8 IP   flag post
Is there anyway to setup more cycles with strstd 531 calculator as it just calculate the first 4 week, im struggling to setup the nummbers for every other cycle then the first
Post 9 IP   flag post
Is this correct? and how do i go from here? and start a new cycle, how do i add 10 pounds to the lower lift and 5 pounds to the upper lifts, its all based on % so i just can't figure it out or calculate it..

And on the last set of every week (Without the deaload week) i try to do as many reps i can for the last set without going to failure, right?

Deadliftt: 125 kg
Squat: 95 kg
Bench: 85 kg
OHP: 50 kg

In KG

Cycle 1
Week1:
Squat: 60x5, 70x5, 80x5
Deadlift: 80x5, 95x5, 105x5
Bench: 55x5, 65x5, 70x5
OHP: 30x5, 35x5, 40x5

Week2:
Squat: 65x3, 75x3, 85x3
Deadlift: 85x3, 100x3, 110x3
Bench: 60x3, 70x3, 75x3
OHP: 35x3, 40x3, 45x3

Week3:
Squat: 70x5, 80x3, 90x1
Deadlift: 95x5, 105x3, 115x1
Bench: 65x5, 70x3, 80x1
OHP: 35x5, 40x3, 45x1

Week4: Deload
Squat: 40x5, 45x5, 55x5
Deadlift: 50x5, 60x5, 75x5
Bench: 35x5, 40x5, 50x5
OHP: 20x5, 25x5, 30 x5
Post 10 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
I have a good spreadsheet. Might actually be the one pictured above and it goes out like 12 cycles or something like that. PM me your email and I'll send it to you.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnackIt
Is this correct? and how do i go from here? and start a new cycle, how do i add 10 pounds to the lower lift and 5 pounds to the upper lifts, its all based on % so i just can't figure it out or calculate it..

And on the last set of every week (Without the deaload week) i try to do as many reps i can for the last set without going to failure, right?

In KG

Cycle 1
Week1:
Squat: 60x5, 70x5, 80x5
Deadlift: 80x5, 95x5, 105x5
Bench: 55x5, 65x5, 70x5
OHP: 30x5, 35x5, 40x5

Week2:
Squat: 65x3, 75x3, 85x3
Deadlift: 85x3, 100x3, 110x3
Bench: 60x3, 70x3, 75x3
OHP: 35x3, 40x3, 45x3

Week3:
Squat: 70x5, 80x3, 90x1
Deadlift: 95x5, 105x3, 115x1
Bench: 65x5, 70x3, 80x1
OHP: 35x5, 40x3, 45x1

Week4: Deload
Squat: 40x5, 45x5, 55x5
Deadlift: 50x5, 60x5, 75x5
Bench: 35x5, 40x5, 50x5
OHP: 20x5, 25x5, 30 x5

Alright this is my first 4 week, calculated of 90% of my 1 RM, do i add 5-10 pounds to every set, or do i add it to the 1 RM or the 90% training maxes posted above.

Thanks a lot for the spreadsheet will be using, but without an calculator, how would i plan an cycle 2, just need to get this of my mind.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Anyone who knows how to calculate that? or is it like this, this is my starting weight of the 90% for the first cycle:

Would i then just add weight to all them in cycle 2, like this:

Deadliftt: 130 kg
Squat: 100 kg
Bench: 87 kg
OHP: 52 kg

Then use the wendler 531 % and calculate it the same way as i did on cycle 1
Post 13 IP   flag post
Anyone who have done 531 or know what to do who can help me out?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Just plug your numbers into the spreadsheet and it calculates everything for you.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemuscular
Just plug your numbers into the spreadsheet and it calculates everything for you.

Is it pretty accurate in kg to?

I also really want to learn how to manually do it without help of calculator or spreadsheet
Post 16 IP   flag post
The Questions page has a spot to change from LB to KG.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@wannabemuscular Just opened the spreadsheet and plugging it in right now, anyway have you ever calculated the cycles yourself without using an calculator or spreadsheet?
Post 18 IP   flag post
No, never felt the need to. Don't see the reason to have to do it manually when it's done for me automatically for 13 cycles out.
Post 19 IP   flag post
@wannabemuscular Yeah you are right, i probably just overcomplicate everything, I'm running PHD-4, if you have seen that program is basically phat, 531 and WSBB, i could use the spreedshet that you gave me even if the setup of days are not the same, right?

I will post the two first cycles that the spreadsheets puts out for me after i have input the 1 RM, could you take a look at it if i post it here and see if i did it correct, will post it later.
Post 20 IP   flag post
So this is the first 3 cycles that the spreadsheet calculated for me, does it look right?

Post 21 IP   flag post
Not sure how the picture size came out, hope you guys can see it
Post 22 IP   flag post
Looks fine. Did you change the spreadsheet to default to KG?

There's also an option in there to round to the nearest 5. You might want to change that to 1 since you're doing KG and they rarely land evenly on 5's.
Post 23 IP   flag post
@wannabemuscular Yes, did change the default to KG, thats true, will change that now, thanks you a lot for your help, the spreadsheet made it much easier.

By the way, you are supposed to go as many reps as you can without going to failure on the last set of every week (Not the deload week) am i right? the first week i will probably get over 10+ on the reps, is there an limit to this, just to be sure, I'm asking a lot i know

I rounded the number down to 1, now its lays out like:

set 1: 56
Set 2: 64
Set 3: 73

Is that better for kg? not making so big jumps as the old.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Correct on the last set each week. I don't know if there's a limit.

Also, since you're just starting you may find you don't need the deload for the first couple cycles.
Post 25 IP   flag post
@wannabemuscular Thanks, i rounded down from 5 to 1, now its a little different on the numbers then what i posted above, lets take the bench, now its goes like this:

Looks better now right?

Post 26 IP   flag post
It's fine man. Stop worrying so much and trust the calculations. Just get started ....
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemuscular
It's fine man. Stop worrying so much and trust the calculations. Just get started ....

^^^^
Post 28 IP   flag post
Thanks everyone who helped me out, can't wait to start, gonna start an log next monday.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Anyone got the newest book of jim wendler 531, i think it is the powerlifting version, is it right that he recommends deloads every 6 week instead of every 3 week now?
Post 30 IP   flag post
340630 34 30
destitute