Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Split Advice

EMG Data reliable?15866

Jack3d private msg quote post Address this user
Excuse my newbness but i have picked exercises that have the highest EMG data but recently came across this... says pull ups activate the chest... so now im having second doubts rather or not EMG is reliable or just very inaccurate

any clarifications please

This study compared the action of a conventional pull-up and chin-up in 21 men and 4 women. Electromyographic (EMG) signals were used to asses muscle activity.
Results

The average muscle activation values were as follows: latissimus dorsi (117-130%), biceps brachii (78-96%), infraspinatus (71-79%), lower trapezius (45-56%), pectoralis major (44-57%), erector spinae (39-41%), and external oblique (31-35%). The pectoralis major and biceps brachii had a significantly higher EMG activation when performing the chin-up when compared to the pull-up, however the lower trapezius was more active during the pull-up. The general pattern of activation suggests that pull-ups and chin-ups were initiated by the lower trapezius and pectoralis major and completed with biceps brachii and latissimus dorsi recruitment.

Study: Youdas et.al, (2010) Surface electromyographic activation patterns and elbow joint motion during a pull-up, chin-up, or perfect-pullup™ rotational exercise.
Post 1 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
One of the functions of pec major is shoulder extension. It is also consistent with their function that the EMG activity for the pecs and biceps was higher with chin-up, as the forearms are supinated and the upper arms are not abducted. What's the big deal here? -3X
Post 2 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
I once heard the biceps were involved in benching..... But idk what the EMG data says....

Surely they aren't activated because they are a stabilizing muscle due to the fact that they are antagonistic muscle groups
Post 3 IP   flag post
Jack3d private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
One of the functions of pec major is shoulder extension. It is also consistent with their function that the EMG activity for the pecs and biceps was higher with chin-up, as the forearms are supinated and the upper arms are not abducted. What's the big deal here? -3X
Yes but I don't know anyone that grew big pecs by doing chinups... I, for one, was doing a lot of them, my lats blew but not my chest.
Post 4 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Pec major was around 1/3 as active as the lats. There's nothing there to suggest they would "blow up." Again, what's the big deal here? -3X
Post 5 IP   flag post
Just because EMG data says muscles are slightly activated, it doesn't mean a massive amount of hypertrophy is going to take place.

Quit overthinking simple concepts. Lifting is simple. Pick shit up, and set it down. Eat food. Profit.
Post 6 IP   flag post
pandasashi private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorIda
Just because EMG data says muscles are slightly activated, it doesn't mean a massive amount of hypertrophy is going to take place.

Quit overthinking simple concepts. Lifting is simple. Pick shit up, and set it down. Eat food. Profit.

preach
Post 7 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

That last sentence should be part of the faq. Golden.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev182
Quote:

That last sentence should be part of the faq. Golden.

That last sentence is my motto my man

Too many average joes think too much about the minor details and forget about the big picture.
Post 9 IP   flag post
340624 9 9
destitute