Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
CuttingProgress PicsSplit Advice

Hi Everybody, New to SS, input appreciated15820

letsgetlean private msg quote post Address this user
Hey Everybody

I've been lurking around the forums here for a few weeks so thought I'd join up and actually get some input on my current program and nutrition.

I'm 6'3 and 211 lbs as of this morning, approximately 14-15%bf. I've been lifting and focusing properly on my body since March 2014.

March last year I was at approximately 225 with no strength and plenty of fat on board. I landed a new job working in a remote part of western Australia so I took the opportunity to shake things up and make some healthy decisions. I started with a pretty standard beginners program and did Keto for about three months. I lost plenty of bf but looking back I would've liked to have focused on gaining some more muscle before cutting so hard.

Following my recent bulk I got to about 215 lbs and about 16% bf. Dirty bulk with no attention payed to macros or calories for that matter. I should have known better.

I've since changed things up and i now do an 8 day cycle as follows.

Day 1: Chest and back (heavy)
Day 2: Leg day (heavy)
Day 3: Shoulders/Abs/Calves
Day 4: Active rest (HIIT)
Day 5: Chest and back (light)
Day 6: Legs (light)
Day 7: Bi's/Tri's/Calves
Day 8: Active rest (HIIT)

With this current program I dropped down to 2200 cals after reading a couple of articles from BB.com (mistake) with a macro split of 50P/20C/30F (please don't shoot!). I lasted 1 week with that but obviously at my BMR etc. with the volume of training I crashed really quickly.

My nutrition is now a lot better since adjusting following the advice in the FAQ thread on this wicked forum.

2700 cals 50C/30P/20F

I feel much stronger now and muscles feel alot more "full" and the weight loss is slow and steady.

I'm going on a trip in May and will spend a good week or so on a boat floating around the greek isles. I'd love to be cut as shit for it! This is my most recent pic 12/12/14

Any insight or suggestions on my program would be much appreciated, happy to go into further detail on my training etc but this is already a long ass post so i'll leave it at this.

Reading through various logs etc around here I must say that the attitude and positive vibes are awesome.

Cheers

Liam
Post 1 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
Seems like everything is just about right. Congrats on the cut. Looks a whole lot better.

I would drop the 2 hiit if I were trying to bulk. Perhaps replace them with a short walk. But that's just me.

Welcome to the board.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Hey mate, thanks. I was reading your log today, it's awesome.

Yeah I'm actually cutting at the moment... reading back on it, I didn't make that very clear, my bad. My mainetenance is around 3000-3200 ish cals so I'm just easing into a cut. The HIIT does get subbed out for walking on a regular basis if the weather is good and the legs are still hurting from the heavy day. I prefer to just work harder in the gym with less rest and enjoy my rest days haha.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
Nutrition wise you seem to have it worked out, however, i dont like the make up of that programme.

Chest and back on the same day, why?
Why arent calves on the same day as legs?
basically a whole session on arms?

A PPL type programme may be better suited to you needs, given that you like to train alot.

Would also like to pount out, rest and recovery is very important.

Not trying to be a dick, just trying to grasp the thinking behind it.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Hey Trev, thanks for the feedback. Open to suggestions

I've only recently adopted this program in order to up my volume, I've been looking at PPL as a good one to move to if this one starts to dwindle a bit.

I work chest and back in supersets with opposing muscle groups.
I work calves on a different day to legs just because that was how it was set-up in the four day split and i just stuck with it. The theory behind it is purely because of calves getting a bit underdone on leg day.
The arms session is basically to ensure they get a good working over but the session itself is not overly intense.

I totally agree in terms of rest, The HIIT sessions are often done in the afternoon following the previous session in order to make the next day a pure rest day.

I'll post the program and let me know what you think if you wouldn't mind.

Cheers
Post 5 IP   flag post
Not sure if this link will work but here goes:

http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/workouts/workout-programs-overview/5485997d0cf2c8438f37e420?context=FINDER_LIST&slug=all4shred

If that doesn't work I'll enter it manually.
Post 6 IP   flag post
This is the program as it stands.

Day 1: chest and back (heavy)

DB flat bench 5x 10,10,6,6,6
Superset with
Smith bent over row 5x 10,8,6,6,6
Incl press 3x 6,6,6
Superset with
1 arm DB row 3x 10,6,6
DB flyes 2x 6-8,25-30
Cable row 4x 8,6,6,20
Cable cross over 3x 6-8
Pull ups 3x failure (min 20 reps)

Day2: legs (heavy)

Leg ext 3x12,12,12 then 2 triple drop sets 8,12,12
Hamstring curl 3x 12,12,12 then 3 triple drop 8,12,12
Leg press 9x 12,12,12,12,12,8,8,8,30
Box squat 9x 12,12,12,12,12,8,8,8,30
Front squat 2x 25,25
Good morning 3x 8,8,8
Smith stiff leg deadlift 3x 8,8,8

Day 3: shoulders

Lateral raise 4x 12,12,12,12 then 1 run the rack from 12 reps to failure at low weight
DB press 5x 12,10,8,8,5
Millitary press 3x 10,8,8
Around the worlds 3x 10,8,8
Cable row to neck 4x 12,12,12,12
External rotation 3x 12,12,12

Day 4: rest

Day 5: chest and back (light)

Incline press 5x 12,12,15,15,25
Superset with
ISO row 5x 25,25,25,25,25
Flat bench 3x 15,15,20
Superset with
High row 3x 20,20,20
Neck press 3x 15,15,15
Underhand pull down 3x 20,20,30
Dumbell lying pullover 2x 10,10
Cable crossover 2x 25,25
Pull ups 3x failure minimum 20 sets

Day 6: legs (light)

Front squat 5x 12,12,10,8,6
Barbell lunge 2x 40 steps
Glute ham raise 3x 6,6,6
Barbell bridge 3x 8,6,4
Split squat with Dumbbells 2x10

Day 7:
Spider curl 4x 12,8,6,15
Superset with
Tricep press 4x 12,10,8,8
Incline DB curl 3x 8,6,6
Superset with
Seated tricep press 3x 10,8,8
BB curl 3x 8,8,12
Superset with
Lying tricep cable ext 3x 12,12,15
Preacher curl 1x failure
Lying tricep dumbell ext 3x 15,15,20
Reverse barbell curl 3x 15,15,15
Hammer curl 2x failure.

That was fun to write on a phone!
Post 7 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
@letsgetlean Looking well man, u look like ur fit for that boat now.

I'd have at least 1 FULL rest day for every 7days man, u need it.
Active rest in terms of HIIT is minimal.. any sort of HIIT i've seen done on Active rest is some very light sprints, sled drags or sled pushes.. Nothing major or what could be classified as a HIIT session.
Post 8 IP   flag post
_RudeCrew private msg quote post Address this user
@Trev182 you do chest and back on your bench day lol. It's also called a "Upper Body" day.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@firemansi haha just need some boat shoes now then? lol. Yeah my HIIT sessions are very short and light. I actually walk a lot for my job so I tend to keep any real cardio for when I feel I need it.

Here's a photo from tonight, the posing is shit, the lighting is shit and my work bedroom is shit but hopefully you get the idea haha.

Now that song is stuck in my head! I'm on a boat mutha f****er don't you ever forget!
Post 10 IP   flag post
I forgot to put it in but I do 4 sets of seated and 4 sets of standing calf raises on both shoulder and arm days, then I throw some ab work in here too. I feel like they get worked pretty hard during compounds etc.

Going off the photo that could probably use a bit more focus.

@firemansi dropping the hiit off would make the day following the "3 on" days a pretty suitable rest day in my eyes then I'd get 2 out of 8. Thoughts?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by _RudeCrew
@Trev182 you do chest and back on your bench day lol. It's also called a "Upper Body" day.

Lol.

I do back work on my "bench" day as to keep a good push/pull ratio. As for my weakness day, it turns into an upper body session as my main weakness is bench, so again i do back work to compensate for the additional push work.

I dont, however, superset chest a back set for set. Hence why i asked the question.

Which its been made clear why i questioned the "chest/back" day, since, he supersets them, and does additonal push work on the shoulder day, his push:pull ratio is terrible.

Im also slightly concerned that on the "heavy leg" day begins with leg extentions, makes me cringe. However, for once, there appears to be enough direct hamstring work. Woohoo.

Im also curious as to why there is no bb bench, back squat or deadlifts?
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Trev182 he also didn't tell everyone his split till after you made the comment so your point is invalid. You gave him shit for doing chest and back on the same day. Just as you do.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Trev182 he also didn't tell everyone his split till after you made the comment so your point is invalid. You gave him shit for doing chest and back on the same day. Just as you do.

Care to point out where i gave him shit?

I asked why he done chest/back on the same day? No shit there?

I even added in at the end i wasnt trying to be a dick.

My point is not invalid, my curiosity has been confirmed, hence why i asked the question. I was hoping his chest/back day was better in terms of push:pull work but it isnt.

I also justified why i do back work on the days you questioned, but you cant seem to differentiate between why its senarios?

Im also confused as to why your giving me shit for questioning a routine? Isnt that why the op posted in the first place? For advice?
Post 14 IP   flag post
@Trev182 just like you can't differentiate when I'm fucking with you just to annoy you lol calm down buddy.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Trev182 just like you can't differentiate when I'm fucking with you just to annoy you lol calm down buddy.

Lol, i dont get annoyed with people over the internet haha, im not 12.

ESPCIALLY since all your and rohr do is troll..
Post 16 IP   flag post
@Trev182 sorry pal. Some people just can't handle jokes.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@letsgetlean sorry for derailing your thread. Good job on the progress.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:

Jokes are mostly funny..thats kind of the point...

Edited.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev182
Quote:

Joles are mostly funny..thats kind of the point...

My name isn't jole so idk what your point is.
Post 20 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
So, just for clarification. Trev doesn't get annoyed over the Internet. But he does get butthurt. Got it.

Lawl. Umad@Trev182
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorIda
So, just for clarification. Trev doesn't get annoyed over the Internet. But he does get butthurt. Got it.

Lawl. Umad@Trev182

HAHA
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorIda

Lawl. Umad@Trev182

Lol.

Aww thats cute.
Post 23 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
@Trev182 ❤️
Post 24 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
I personally wouldn't touch that routine with a ten foot pole, but to each his own. -3X
Post 25 IP   flag post
Jsn3004 private msg quote post Address this user
Congrats on the weight loss and getting into fitness but I think as time passes and the beginner gains start to subside, you'll realize that less is more. You're doing a bit too much and in need of a rest day. You'll soon realize that rest days are vital to becoming stronger. Follow the KISS method and remember Chest and shoulders use your triceps so you're pretty much hitting your triceps 4 out of 7 days
Post 26 IP   flag post
Thanks for the feedback guys. Clearly some changes are required.

@trev182 no shit given and no shit taken mate Any recommendations on a specific PPL program? i understand there are different accesories to add on... I'll be researching hard today!

Edit: just found @eknights last ppl log. Figure that's a good place to start....
Post 27 IP   flag post
@letsgetlean good lad.

Ek's ppl is a very good place to start.

Good luck.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Hi guys, thanks so much for the help yesterday. If yall wouldn't mind, I've tried to set up my PPL and would love some Ideas of any changes that may be needed.

Legs
Squat 5X5
Leg press 4X10
Ham curls 4X10
Calf raises 3X15

Push
Flat bench 5X5
Smith ohp 3X5
Close grip bench 3x5
DB lateral raise 3X8
Tricep extension 3X8

Pull
Deadlift 5X5
Weighted chin up 5x5 (these will be body weight for time being)
BB rows 5X5
DB shrugs 3X8
BB curls 3X8

I'll probably try and run it as a PPL/PPL/rest/repeat to begin with to see how I feel and make changes as is necessary.

Keen as to hit push tomorrow morning!!

Thanks once again.

Liam
Post 29 IP   flag post
340762 29 29
destitute