Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Split Advice

calisthenics or weight routine for fatloss?15786

jf89 private msg quote post Address this user
I know eating healthy and at a deficit is a must but in terms of exercise ,whatss better for aiding in fatloss? all pro/starting strength type routine or calisthenic routine?
Post 1 IP   flag post
stopmiring private msg quote post Address this user
I think you should ask yourself first what your goals are. Do you want to build or in this case retain muscle mass or do you want to get strong? Calisthenics does burn a lot of calories since you heart rate is increased all the time, doing lots of reps and using the whole body and stabilizers. However, I think that if you want to retain as much muscle mass as possible, the starting strenght type routine would fit your needs better.. Depends on your goals
Post 2 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
@jf89 you're right that weight loss is from your diet (caloric deficit).

If you came to this forum for advice then you probably want to start a weight lifting routine so you can become stronger.

However, if you're seriously overweight it could make sense to add in some cardio as well so you don't have a heart attack.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Yea I'm 235 lb and about 5'11" I'm trying to get down to 190ish and a then ill definatly do a 5x5 based routine but i thought it would be better to clean up my diet(duh) and just work on that ,I'm not worried abt gaining muscle I've got good genetics for that....so my goal for now is definatly just weightloss....so calisthenics or weights?only for cutting? Id prbbly do all pros beginner routine if i lift to cut weight. 5x5 from what i remember isn't cut friendly do to the aggressiveness but maybe I'm wrong its bennn awhile since I've been decently in shape
Post 4 IP   flag post
So weightlifting is generally considered better. than calithenics for cutting purposes?
Post 5 IP   flag post
340740 5 5
destitute