Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
NewbieSplit Advice

12 reps heavy weight vs 20 reps light weight15748

thephenomenon private msg quote post Address this user
sometimes the barbells are taken so I have to use the heaviest dumbell and I find myself going up to 20 reps rather than 12. (still going to failure)

is 20 reps is bad to maintain / build mass?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Kansas___Boyyyyy private msg quote post Address this user
People are saying its all about total volume. aka 3x3 of 300 vs 3x5 of 250. 3x3@300 = 2700lb moved. 3x5@250 = 3750lb moved
Post 2 IP   flag post
Jelet private msg quote post Address this user
12 reps>20 reps.

I personally dont seem to be able to progressive overload when i go 15+ reps. = not much gains.

Id even go as far as to say switching from 8-12 rep range to 20 reps on an exercise will cause you to lose strength. I experienced this first hand with injuries in the past.

Of course do all rep ranges but to do solely 20 reps for a body part. You wont get results unless ur a newb. Just from my personal experience...

Also id keep is consistent. Dont go from barbbell heavy reps to dumbbell high reps randomly...

Consistency is key for gains. Change it up every 6-8 weeks.
Post 3 IP   flag post
leanr0x private msg quote post Address this user
12 reps are light weight and 20 reps are no weight.
Post 4 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
20 reps will increase muscular endurance, but not size. -3X
Post 5 IP   flag post
thephenomenon private msg quote post Address this user
so you cant even maintain with 20 reps?
Post 6 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Not likely. -3X
Post 7 IP   flag post
Salokin private msg quote post Address this user
Paul Carter wrote an interesting training article that worked under the following concept:
A lifter with an everyday one-rep max (this is a max you could get on any given day of the week, not you're all time best) is typically able to lift around 63-65% of that weight 20 times. For instance, 300lb max bench, you can typically lift about 195lbs 20 times.

He then recommended a training program where you pick a weight that is 10-20lbs above your everyday max, we'll say 320. Then do working sets with 63% of that weight (201.6lbs). There is an elaborate over warm-up before getting to the work sets.

The goal of the work sets is to get up to 20 reps in a single set. Each week you try to increase total reps with the work set weight. Week one you start with about 30 total reps between typically 3-6 sets (whatever is necessary to reach your goal reps) For instance:
Week 1- may be 200lbs x 12, 8, 6, 4 = 30.
Week 2- 200lbs x 14, 9, 6, 5 = 34
Week 3- 200lbs x 15, 10, 8, 5 = 38
and so on.

You always do as many reps as you can leaving 1 in the tank. The final set, where you hit your rep goal, you do as many as you can. Each week you try to increase the number of reps in each or some sets and the total number of reps in all sets.
It is a 6 week program. By the 6th week your goal is to hit 20 reps on your first work set.

If you succeed, pick a new goal max weight, like 330, and perform the 6 week cycle again with the new work set weight (207.9 or round up to 210).

It's not a 20 rep program until the last week.
It sounded intriguing to me so I decided to give it a try. I'm doing the program on my squats, deads, and bench. In the beginning of my 2nd 6 week block now. Block 1 went very well.
Post 8 IP   flag post
340734 8 8
destitute