Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Split Advice

Straps Vs. No Straps15745

Beans private msg quote post Address this user
Do people usually have trouble transitioning to using straps when dead lifting? I used them for the first time tonight, and it totally threw me off my lifts for some reason, and I couldn't put my finger on why.

I'm not actually going to start using them, but I ran out of chalk so I figured I'd borrow someones to test it out.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
Dont use them.

Work on your grip man.

Chalk, liquid chalk, forearm exercises, farmers walks.

You can thank me later.
Post 2 IP   flag post
shannowman private msg quote post Address this user
From watching other people use straps on deadlifts when they're the primary movement, i think they're potentially dangerous in all honesty. Grip strength seems to be a natural inhibitor that stops you lifting more than your back can handle. I don't think you can have a strong back without a strong grip. Straps take grip out, giving the opportunity to load past the point your back can handle. I see this all the time!

They have their place, maybe. But only in supp lifts or accessory and even then i shy away.

Stick to chalk and get some gorilla forearms.
Post 3 IP   flag post
@Trev182 Thanks for reading my whole post man .

I always figured it would be easier to use them, but I was shocked at how much harder it made it.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans
@Trev182 Thanks for reading my whole post man .

I always figured it would be easier to use them, but I was shocked at how much harder it made it.

Haha i did, honestly.

But to answer your question, yes straps put my technique off. Cant get tight enough, form isnt as good. Dont feel as solid!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Cannonball private msg quote post Address this user
Don't immediately dismiss straps. If you're trying to get strong then yeah training your grip is important but someone who'd train solely for hypertrophy purposes are wasting time and opportunity for back gains if they keep underperforming due to grip. Even when it's on par, it will almost always reduce your capability to lift. And that's with mixed grip, almost noone ever gets strong enough with front grip, which is better for general back training.
Post 6 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
@Beans I think people usually transition away from using straps for deads.

What grip do you typically use?

I agree with @shannowman and @Cannonball though. Straps have their place when used appropriately.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@wannabemuscular I use hook grip, so the hand position wasn't too different. Never had a grip problem, but I was doing sets of 3 and my grip was failing after 2 without chalk. When I used the straps, I actually found the lift harder, but my grip was fine.

I guess that's true about transitioning away from them. I just always assumed it would be easier to lift more weight with them.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Beastmode1607 private msg quote post Address this user
@Beans I do alternating grip when I deadlift heavy "315" yeah I'm a weak ass whatever but I only have grip problems when I do over hand, alt grip fixes it, it's like magic brah
Post 9 IP   flag post
340764 9 9
destitute