Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Competitive BodybuildingFemale FitnessPhysiqueTraining Programs

Training for Bikini VS Figure15703

Douze private msg quote post Address this user
Hey guys!

I am wondering how training for "bikini model" differs from "figure model"? I

Iread articles etc and most claim that training for figure is quite different from training for bikini. However, looking at their workout routines and diets, concerning splits, reps and macros etc, I think it looks pretty similar?

So what is the difference really? Please help!

Cheers
Post 1 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
@Douze From what I can tell is there is mainly a big difference in conditioning !! Bikini get marked down when the come into a show to tight and cut.. Cause that's not what their looking for.
Where as figure ur coming into the definition territory and symmetry with muscle tie-ins and definition.
Don't know a tremendous amount about it but I have seen bikini and figure models training and their training is somewhat similar but the diet when cutting isn't as drastic.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Jsn3004 private msg quote post Address this user
Bikini: usually less muscle, care more about lower body. Upper body is not as impressive.

Figure: usually more muscle upper and lower body. They kind of have more aspirations like bodybuilders expect they don't want to really look big, but they focus on more proportions, symmetry, etc. kind of what like @firemanSi said.

The training routines are probably similar, but I would guess that bikini models do a noticeable amount of cardio since they don't pack on as much muscle.
Post 3 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanSi
@Douze From what I can tell is there is mainly a big difference in conditioning !! Bikini get marked down when the come into a show to tight and cut.. Cause that's not what their looking for.
Where as figure ur coming into the definition territory and symmetry with muscle tie-ins and definition.
Don't know a tremendous amount about it but I have seen bikini and figure models training and their training is somewhat similar but the diet when cutting isn't as drastic.

Listen to fire. He knows because he is a bikini model in the making.
Post 4 IP   flag post

Post 5 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
Another Swedish member. Seems like we have a lot of Swedes. I'll bet Swedes are the 2nd highest number of members here after US.

@Douze More full body, full view pics would be good for everyone to help judge. Just go for the body you want and then go for the comp that suits you. For bikini I would think you could be a little more liberal with diet.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRorhrbac0808
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanSi

Listen to fire. He knows because he is a bikini model in the making.

Haha... I cant wait to compete next yr.
Post 7 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
We should probably check your squat form...
Post 8 IP   flag post
Ohh sweet GEEEZUS!

Tiny asian ass? NOTHING wrong with that ass.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Since I started I have noticed a lot of progress on my upper body, and yea that's pretty much it...

But I just wanna tone my upper body and build lower body. Is that possible? Do you guys have any suggestions on what crazy training I should do to gain legs and butt? German training? Phat?

I currently workout legs 3 mon tues sat, HIIT on tues wed, yoga friday.
Post 10 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
It is not possible to tone any part of your body. Muscle either grows (hypertrophy) or shrinks (atrophy). There is no toning, only reducing body fat so it the muscle you have is more visible.

Have you read the FAQ? -3X
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemuscular
Ohh sweet GEEEZUS!

Tiny asian ass? NOTHING wrong with that ass.

I knew this would happen. haha.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@FiremanSi Gotta give credit where credit is due.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@eknight

No I haven't, sorry didn't see it
Well, I have some understanding for muscles.

I mean, depending on how you train, you could get different physique right?

I'd need excercises that engage the upperbody less. Though squats and deadlifts are supposed to be THE leg booty builder. They seem to work on my lats, shoulders and arms as well. I tried leg press, but I don't feel the glutes burn as much.

I guess I just want my arms to be like the bold guys' legs and my legs to be like the sprinters' arms!
Post 14 IP   flag post
@wannabemuscular thanks for the cred! ...and it probably wasn't anything wrong with your arms either, before you started pumping that is...
Post 15 IP   flag post
ErickFromOmaha private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douze

I guess I just want my arms to be like the bold guys' legs and my legs to be like the sprinters' arms!

No you don't.
Post 16 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Quote:
@eknight

No I haven't, sorry didn't see it
Well, I have some understanding for muscles.

I mean, depending on how you train, you could get different physique right?

I'd need excercises that engage the upperbody less. Though squats and deadlifts are supposed to be THE leg booty builder. They seem to work on my lats, shoulders and arms as well. I tried leg press, but I don't feel the glutes burn as much.

It doesn't work like that, though. "How you train" and "which exercises will work" are not the same thing. Your muscles don't know the difference between a squat, a leg extension, and a lunge- all they know is that motor recruitment of fibers used to extend the knee is happening. Welsch, et al demonstrated this (2005) when they used EMG to measure fiber recruitment for the pecs during the barbell bench press, DB bench press, and DB fly. The data they compiled concluded, "Motor unit activation of both muscles was not significantly different during all 3 lifts."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15903389
So, choosing specific exercises in the hopes that they will affect your body differently isn't realistic. Your total volume, intensity (poundage, rest time and time under tension) and nutrition are what dictate moderate changes in your physique. The rest is determined by genetics- you can't change the shape and appearance of a muscle by how you exercise it. -3X
Post 17 IP   flag post
Frostshock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
The rest is determined by genetics- you can't change the shape and appearance of a muscle by how you exercise it. -3X

False- I do 3 sets of 10 secs on the left and right side while holding said leg up and 3 sets of 30 secs keeping both sides even for kegels and my pelvic floor muscles now resemble a happy face.
Post 18 IP   flag post
leanr0x private msg quote post Address this user
i would suggest to stick to your workout and give it time, 6 weeks are not really much. just be consistent
Post 19 IP   flag post
@eknight awww really? you can't change your muscles by how you excercise? Now I am going to cry...

Found this EMG table... but must be BS then buhuu

Post 20 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@eknight awww really? you can't change your muscles by how you excercise? Now I am going to cry...

Found this EMG table... but must be BS then buhuu

Just on the forum and taking on the big knowledge dog, loving the confidance.

Good luck with whatever class you go for!

You have a nice figure and welcome to the forum
Post 21 IP   flag post
TimmothyGen private msg quote post Address this user
Oh my dayzzzzz welcome.
Post 22 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Taken from a piece by Tom Venuto on the topic:

"Figure (women). Figure has become immensely popular for a lot of reasons, one of which is that no routine is required, so women who don't have a dance or gymnastics background can compete purely based on their physique without feeling disadvantaged. The judging criteria can vary from one organization to the next. The NPC and IFBB figure divisions have criteria that include: small degree of muscularity with separation, but no visible striations, overall muscle tone with shapely lines, firmness; lean but not excessively ripped. Overall appearance including make-up, suit and skin tone is part of the package. The way I see it, they are looking for a nice amount of muscle, including rounded shoulder caps, well developed arms, visible thigh muscle with a little bit of definition, and a very well developed upper back. Muscular but still feminine; definitely not as much size as a bodybuilder.

Bikini (women). In the bikini division, contestants wear a two piece bikini, usually skimpier (in back) than the other divisions, but no thongs are allowed. Competitors walk onstage and do their "model walk" where they walk to center stage, stop and do a front stance, then a back stance, and then back to front. They are then brought back onstage in a group for comparisons from front and back. In addition to the usual overall appearance and presentation, official NPC rules call for "balance and shape" as the only defined judging criteria. Some of my male friends say the bikini contestants look like "fit exotic dancers." I'm not sure if a bikini athlete would take that as a compliment or not. In any case, I think many of these girls look very athletic and very very fit - many have visible abs, and have obviously spent some serious time in the gym. But I agree that the look is also very sexy and curvy. 100% feminine."

So, the difference is both in amount of lean body mass a contestant has, and their level of conditioning. When figure first came out, most of the women I know or who I trained who competed in that class were fitness competitors who crossed over because they either lacked the talent to perform a winning routine (poor gymnastic background, poor dance background, etc.) or they simply wanted to compete without having to do a routine. The classes at that time were very similar and still seem pretty close to me. -3X
Post 23 IP   flag post
TyrannosaurusFlex private msg quote post Address this user
Niice to see more swedes on the forums, welcome @Douze. Where in Sweden are you located?

You seem to have a really good idea of what changes you want to make in order to achieve your goals, so I'll just wish you the best of luck!
Post 24 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Apparently, my post wasn't clear enough. There's no difference in routines or training. The difference is in the amount of weight used and the amount of calories consumed to increase LBM. I've known guys who have used PPL, 531, bro spilts, and other routines to prep for shows. The difference is in the diet and conditioning. The same is applicable here. -3X
Post 25 IP   flag post
@eknight Thanks, but still...

I thought this forum would be fun, motivating, sharing experiences etc... But some knowledge police made it clear that I am ridiculous and should be happy that I am a girl, elsewise you guys would torn me. I mean really? Would you really? You twelve or what for? Why make things so complicated, science back up and clinical literature and references... Puh... puhh...
What the hell is bro science anyway... and who cares...

Thanks guys for welcoming me! But too much "proving myself" shitty vibe here.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Bucky private msg quote post Address this user
holy shit your posts make me want to punch you..

albeit if you weren't a girl that is.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Salokin private msg quote post Address this user
Give the girl a break. She's been lifting for 6 weeks!
She came on looking for help.
Who of us didn't have our minds full of misleading information when all we had was mainstream bodybuilding.com garbage.
I think there was some misunderstanding of some comments on here and things went downhill from there.

Reset button on this thread.
Post 28 IP   flag post
TyrannosaurusFlex private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salokin
Give the girl a break. She's been lifting for 6 weeks!
She came on looking for help.
Who of us didn't have our minds full of misleading information when all we had was mainstream bodybuilding.com garbage.
I think there was some misunderstanding of some comments on here and things went downhill from there.

Reset button on this thread.

Could not agree more.
Post 29 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
After slinging multiple personal insults at me in the thread (and another one) OP then PM'ed me asking for advice. I posted the advice in here and she didn't like it because she had already read it. She PM'ed me again, so I clarified my response and she still didn't like or want to accept the answer. Nothing was misunderstood. She's simply and Emily 2.0. Nothing I can do about that. -3X
Post 30 IP   flag post
340614 30 30
destitute