Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
BulkingPush Pull LegsSplit AdviceTraining Programs

PPL15662

Snowboard901 private msg quote post Address this user
I was curious what you guys think of running this 3 days on 1 day off for size and strength.

Bench 3-5x 4-6
OHP 3x6-10
Incline db 3x8-10
Side lateral 3x10-12
Pushdown 4x10-12

Deadlift 2-3x3-5
Bb row 4x8
Lat pulldown 3x8-10
Low row 3x8-10
Facepulls 3x12
Curl 4x8-10

Squat 3-5x4-6
Sldl 3x8
Leg press 4x10
Leg curl 3x10
Calves 3-4x12

OHP 3-5x4-6
Bench 3-4x8
Incline DB 3x8-10
Side lateral 3x12
Dips 3x10

Bb row 4x4-6
Lat pulldown 3x8-10
Low row 3x8-10
Facepull 3x12
Shrug 3x12
Curl 4x8-10

Squat 3-4x8-10
Seated Leg curl 3x10
Leg press 3-4x10-12
Leg curl 3x10
Calves 3-4x12

Thanks for any feedback it's greatly appreciated.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
Either skip deads and do rdl/sldl instead or replace the sldl with deads, or do sldl on leg workout 1 and deads on leg workout 2.
A common way of doing it is to start with squats on leg 1 and deads on leg 2.
Also, don't do pull and legs back to back, a better alternative is pull/push/legs.
Why? Because deadlift is primarily a leg movement since quads, hamstrings and gluteus are the muscles that works dynamically in it.
The way you have constructed it you will train your hams, gluteus and quads 2 days in a row, your upper back will also get hit 2 days in a row since it gets isometric training in all deadlift types.
And don't forget about your lower back, free row + deads on day 1 and squats + sldl on day 2 is not very good if you want to play it safe.
I would also replace the free row with a chest supported row since that is the opposite of a bench and it will allow you to focus more on your back, and since you most likely will be sore in your hams on pull day that will effect your BB row.
Also, i personally would replace the incline press with a isolation movement for the chest, like flat or incline db/cable flyes and dips with a tricepsmovement that fully recruits the long head of the triceps, something dips does not.
A better (and safer) alternative would be lying tricepsextension behind the head, demonstration video by Mark Rippetoe.
Post 2 IP   flag post
@Rawsteel thank you. I will switch deadlifts to leg day and bb row to t bar row. I will post that in here after and Id like your feedback again
Post 3 IP   flag post
@Rawsteel what do you think of this for the changes?

Bench 3-5x 4-6
OHP 3x6-10
Chest flyes 3x10-12
Side lateral 3x10-12
Pushdown 4x10-12

T Bar row 4x6
Lat pulldown 3x8-10
Low row 3x8-10
Facepulls 3x12
Curl 4x8-10

Squat 3-5x4-6
Deadlift 2-3x3-5
Leg press 4x10
Leg curl 3x10
Calves 3-4x12

OHP 3-5x4-6
Bench 3-4x8
Incline DB 3x8-10
Side lateral 3x12
Skullcrushers 4x8

T Bar row 4x6-8
Lat pulldown 3x8-10
Low row 3x8-10
Facepull 3x12
Shrug 3x12
Curl 4x8-10

Squat 3-4x8-10
Leg curl 3x10
Leg press 3-4x10-12
Leg curl 3x10
Calves 3-4x12

I plan on running as pull push legs
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboard901
@Rawsteel what do you think of this for the changes?

Looks better, volume is a bit high, or it would be for me, you will need to do some experimentation when it comes to that.
If the volume is to high you will feel it pretty fast when hitting the weights 6x a week.
My advice is that you start with 2 set deads and 3 sets in squat and bench and slowly add volume if you feel you can handle it.
And for the second leg workout do it like this if you fully want to train the hamstrings (knee and hip extension) ->

Squat 3x8-10
Leg press 3-4x10-12
RDL or hypers with pad below waist and straight back 3x8
Leg curl 3x10
Calves 3-4x12

The reason you shoud have the pad below the waist and a straight back if you choose to do hypers is because that way you will hit your hams and gluteus dynamically, like in a SLDL or RDL.
If the pad is higher your erectors will do most of the work.
And don't do skullcrushers, do it behind the head if you want to spare your elbows and train the long head of the triceps.
Skullcrusher is a nasty exercise with a low trainingeffect compared to full rom tricepsextension.
I personally prefer doing them seated or lying, and don't lift with your ego in this exercise, use a weight that allows you to use a full range of motion because it's at the end of the movement that you really recruit your triceps long head.
And one last thing, i personally would have started with pull-ups on pull A and T-bar on pull B, that way you give the OHP and the bench opposite movements as much focus.
like this ->

Pull-ups 3-4x6
T-bar 3x8-10
close grip or underhand pulldown 3x8-10
Facepulls 3x12
Curl 4x8-10

T Bar row 3-4x6-8
Lat pulldown 3x8-10
Low row 3x8-10
Facepull 3x12
Shrug 3x12
Curl 4x8-10
Post 5 IP   flag post
@Rawsteel thank you very much that all makes sense and I will switch it to that. I will be making a log shortly. Thank you again for all the help with this. Would you do Pull Push Legs or Legs push pull?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboard901
@Rawsteel thank you very much that all makes sense and I will switch it to that. I will be making a log shortly. Thank you again for all the help with this. Would you do Pull Push Legs or Legs push pull?

Nps mate, i'm actually on a "Pull Push Legs" atm (3 on, 1 off, 2 on, 1 off, repeat).
I run it as a pull/push/legs because i don't like to train my back when im sore in my shoulders/chest.
And for some odd reason i can't do push workouts back to back with pull workouts for more then a couple of weeks without starting to get a wierd pain in my shoulders.
Last time i tried it i had to take a 12 days break from all upper body exercises before the pain disappeared.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@Rawsteel thanks again for all the help. i created a log if you ever want to stop by ill be following all the changes you made. http://forum.simplyshredded.com/topic/15665/ppl-log/
Thanks again for all the help
Post 8 IP   flag post
340609 8 8
destitute