Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
ShouldersSplit Advice

Shoulder health question15652

Gianluca69 private msg quote post Address this user
Hey guys,

Please bear with me on this one.

This past week or so, I was performing a flat db press in the 4-6 rep range. As I was preparing to do the exercise, right before I start my descent onto the bench, I have been shrugging my shoulders up, then retracting them, and keeping them retracted throughout the exercise. I learned this info a while ago while I was watching Chris Jones video on scapular retraction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ5iCcKzg2Q

Now, onto the question and problem. About a day after my push workout, I have been getting some pain in my rotator cuff, nothing crazy, but I can definitely feel that there is something strained and wrong.

Also, for about 6 months or so, I have been doing quite a bit of shoulder mobility work and rotator cuff strengthening exercises, and before this small setback, my shoulders seemed and felt fine. I had a full range of motion in many different scapular planes. For example, I am able to perform shoulder dislocation with a band quite easily, with a full range of motion.

So, today I was doing a lot of research about what may the specific problem be, and this is what I'm trying to figure out as well with this forum post.

I found this video by 3dmj.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suzab0rOwuw

Brad explains that whenever you elevate your shoulders, you are taking them out of their socket, and you should just retract and pull your shoulders down.

My main question is, do you guys think that my elevation of the shoulders could have been (or even is) the problem for my current rotator cuff/shoulder pain?

I appreciate your insight guys.

Thanks
Post 1 IP   flag post
swollenscott private msg quote post Address this user
I was always told down and back and to contract my lats. Shrugging (and guys that pull forward/protract) your scapular will take the glenohumeral joint out of it's normal resting place so the rotator cuff has to work harder to stabilise and possibly lead to strain.

A lot of guys tend to focus on rotator cuff strength work and little else but it's now being questioned how much we need to do. Generally for most overhead athletes scapular strength/control (proprioceptive) work to improve scap control is favoured as improved mechanics can deload the cuff and prevent injury. Also thoracic mobility is obviously important in terms of shoulder health amoungst other things. It's amazing when you test external rotation strength in varying degrees of abduction what the scapular does and is a great diagnostic tool. It's also amazing that when you first get someone to set their scapular how much their rotator cuff has improved with more strength and less pain in the same test indicating that some scap work is required.

Sorry for the ramble
Post 2 IP   flag post
So, just to clarify, you think that a possible reason for my current rotator cuff problem is because I am elevating my scapula before performing my pressing movements?

thanks
Post 3 IP   flag post
Any other thoughts?
Post 4 IP   flag post
TyrannosaurusFlex private msg quote post Address this user
yes. Down and back, not up and back.
Post 5 IP   flag post
340762 5 5
destitute