Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
NewbiePHATSplit AdviceTeenTraining Programs

ABout PhAT15627

BarbellBOB private msg quote post Address this user
So ive been into phat for 2 weeks now, i do it exactly as written here: http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-feature-layne-norton-training-series-full-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html
i was wondering, as layne doesnt mention how to progress, how would one acutally add weight? just try to hit the max every training session? or progress a bit every week? if you switched up the excresizes a bit or whatever while you did phat, id love to hear it, thank you for taking the time to read this advice will be appreciated.
Post 1 IP   flag post
lolssons private msg quote post Address this user
I'd take a guess and up the weight when you can hit the prescibed reps for x amount of sets in the higher end lets say it says bench 3x3-5 lets say you bench 100kg for 3x3 next week 3x3,3,4 and after some week you hit if for 3x5 then you up the weight too 102.5kg and start over at 3x3 that is what i would have done atleast. IN ALL MY LIFTS
Post 2 IP   flag post
Tamere02 private msg quote post Address this user
This is why people on this forum like saying PHAT is for advanced lifters, it has a lack of detailed progression.

@lolssons made a good recommendation
Some people decided to use 5/3/1 for the main lifts as there progression scheme.

Worst thing you can do is go for max every week and basically test the lift instead of training it
Post 3 IP   flag post
Jelet private msg quote post Address this user
? Its pretty clear

Example 3-5 rep range... What is so complicated. Do 3-3-3 one workout. The next workout you can do 3-3-5.
Next workout you can do 3-4-5.

Next workout you can even do 3-3- then up weight by 5lbs 3 ,
As long as your in the rep range....

Im doing phat again right now. Removed the dips and i do incline power chest press... 8-10 rep range except i do 4 sets...

I also dont do power shoulder press... My front delts get hit enough from incline chest press and i dont have the strength to go heavy on it anyways to make it worth while. So i just do 3 sets of dumbbell lateral raises instead 8-12 reps.. 2 min rest time
Post 4 IP   flag post
@Tamere02 How can i when it has no deadlift and bench press? and what about the other excresiEs? @Jelet sorry i didnt understand, my english isnt all that good mind explaining again?
Post 5 IP   flag post
@lolssons So i bench one week 3-3-3 the next 3-3-4 the next 3-4-4 the next 4-4-4 then 4-4-5 then 4-5-5 then 5-5-5?? thats 7 weeks to progress... sorry if i dont get it
Post 6 IP   flag post
stopmiring private msg quote post Address this user
@BarbellBOB I usually do 3-3-3 next week 4-4-4 week after that 5-5-5 also with 5 pounds added. Considering that you are eating in a sufficient surplus this should do imo.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@stopmiring So say, 1st week 100kg 3-3-3 2nd week 100kg 4-4-4 3rd week 5-5-5 and starting from 4th week 102.5 kgs ?
Post 8 IP   flag post
bslo private msg quote post Address this user
Say you have a prescribed rep range of 3-5 reps for 3 sets. You decide to start off squating 225 lbs and for the first workout you manage to get 5,5, but on the last one you cant cut it and only get 3 reps. The next time you squat you would use the same weight and so on until you are able to get 3x5 with that weight. Then you would add 5-10lbs and repeat. It is kind of a slower way to progress but it is easy to track.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@Barbellbob Exactly. Aim for that. If you fail one week, try the same weight again the next week.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
Dude if this is confusing you, chose a simple programme....

Dont over think things, go to the gym, lift weights..
Post 11 IP   flag post
@bslo @stopmiring So thats on the big lifts, what about the rest? same? just with different rep range?
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Barbellbob Wouldn't worry too much about the rest, since you will generally be more fatigued already If you hit more reps on your compound movements, but yes I try to increase with a rep or so aswell.
Post 13 IP   flag post
340620 13 13
destitute