Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
BulkingCardioSplit Advice

Your opinion on cardio during a bulk15603

stranger private msg quote post Address this user
Hi guys

So I've been speculating about your thoughts about doing cardio when bulking. What do you think? Is it preferable, in the matter of keeping your fat gains low (I know, I know.. I might sound stupid here)
I've read somewhere that doing the HIIT routine helps you burn of excessive fat..
I cant really run that much due to some surgeries, but I must admit that it makes me feel great whenever I've done some kind of cardio..

What do you think?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Tamere02 private msg quote post Address this user
Don't think that doing HIIT while bulking will burn fat because your still in a surplus and you cant lose weight in a surplus.
Cardio would allow you to eat more so in that way will keep fat gains lower on your current macros than without.
But MORE IMPORTANTLY cardio is great for general health and bulking is not a reason to skip on the general benefits of cardio.
You also appear to enjoy doing some cardio so go for it and eat more.
Post 2 IP   flag post
stranger private msg quote post Address this user
Hey man!

Thanks for the reply!
Lets say I went for a (give or take ) 15 min of HIIT running lap, and that I still eat my 3300 calories. Is it then wrong to assume that the burned calories is going to result in fat loss?

Forgive me for my ignorance; I really just want to know, whats what, since I hear and read so many contradicting statements.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Tamere02 private msg quote post Address this user
Yes that is wrong. If your on a surplus you wont lose fat (unless on drugs or a newbie) and if the cardio causes to dip into a deficit than you are no longer on a bulk
Post 4 IP   flag post
darklight79 private msg quote post Address this user
IMHO. Useful. Not for fat loss but to minimize fat gain during a bulk. Also helps keep fat burning pathways open and hiit done sparingly (very sparingly mind you) improves nutrient partitioning and cardio in general allows us to eat more. Heh...
Post 5 IP   flag post
Danimal_88 private msg quote post Address this user
If I had more time in the day I would do some cardio during the offseason. It has always seemed to help me with recovery on the weekends when compared to just sitting around on a couch
Post 6 IP   flag post
Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
How much fat you put on depends on your calorie intake, in the end it's all about calorie in and calorie out.
Adding cardio will allow you to eat more, that's it.
And as Tamere02 said, cardio is great for your health, it does however have a bad impact on your strength/hypertrophy gains, to minimize this do the cardio on the days you don't lift.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
Agree with above. Great for health, and from my experience playing some sports or doing some cardio once or twice a week when bulking will make a huge difference with performing higher rep compund movements. I never want my conditioning to be a limiting factor in squats, and lets face it, after bulking for a while some people get out of breath walking up stairs.

I wouldn't, however, get caught up ion trying to "keep fat off." Just use your diet, and don't do too much cardio.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawsteel
How much fat you put on depends on your calorie intake, in the end it's all about calorie in and calorie out.
Adding cardio will allow you to eat more, that's it.
And as Tamere02 said, cardio is great for your health, it does however have a bad impact on your strength/hypertrophy gains, to minimize this do the cardio on the days you don't lift.

Bro, how about incorporating a brief visit session same day as workout eg.later in day so it doesn't affect rest days at all?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklight79

Bro, how about incorporating a brief visit session same day as workout eg.later in day so it doesn't affect rest days at all?

That's better then doing it on the same workout, also, research has shown HIIT to be far more effective for preserving muscle tissue then regular steady-state cardio.
And if you really care about those muscles cycling has shown to have no negative effects on muscle growth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by APS

As aerobic exercise (AE) may interfere with adaptations to resistance exercise (RE), this study explored acute and chronic responses to consecutive AE (~45 min cycling) and RE (4 x 7 maximal knee extensions), vs. RE only. Ten men performed acute unilateral AE+RE interspersed by 15 min recovery. The contralateral leg was subjected to RE. This exercise paradigm was then implemented in a 5-wk training program. Protein phosphorylation, gene expression and glycogen content were assessed in biopsies obtained from m. vastus lateralis of both legs immediately before and 3 h after acute RE. Quadricep muscle size and in vivo torque were measured, and muscle samples analyzed for citrate synthase activity and glycogen concentration, before and after training. Acute AE reduced glycogen content (32%; P < 0.05) and increased (P < 0.05) phosphorylation of AMPK (1.5-fold) and rpS6 (1.3-fold). Phosphorylation of p70S6K and 4E-BP1 remained unchanged. Myostatin gene expression was downregulated after acute AE+RE but not RE. Muscle size showed greater (P < 0.05) increase after AE+RE (6%) than RE (3%) training. Citrate synthase activity (18%) and endurance performance (22%) increased (P < 0.05) after AE+RE but not RE. While training increased (P < 0.05) in vivo muscle strength in both legs, normalized and concentric torque increased after RE only. Thus, AE activates AMPK, reduces glycogen stores, and impairs the progression of concentric force, yet muscle hypertrophic responses to chronic RE training appears not to be compromised.

http://jap.physiology.org/content/early/2014/01/07/japplphysiol.01082.2013

And here's a long detailed article describing why strength and cardio at a high level is not consistent (for those interested).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUSTAVO A. NADER

Strength and endurance training produce widely diversified adaptations, with little overlap between them. Strength training typically results in increases in muscle mass and muscle strength. In contrast, endurance training induces increases in maximal oxygen uptake and metabolic adaptations that lead to an increased exercise capacity. In many sports, a combination of strength and endurance training is required to improve performance, but in some situations when strength and endurance training are performed simultaneously, a potential interference in strength development takes place, making such a combination seemingly incompatible. The phenomenon of concurrent training, or simultaneously training for strength and endurance, was first described in the scientific literature in 1980 by Robert C. Hickson, and although work that followed provided evidence for and against it, the interference effect seems to hold true in specific situations. At the molecular level, there seems to be an explanation for the interference of strength development during concurrent training; it is now clear that different forms of exercise induce antagonistic intracellular signaling mechanisms that, in turn, could have a negative impact on the muscle's adaptive response to this particular form of training. That is, activation of AMPK by endurance exercise may inhibit signaling to the protein-synthesis machinery by inhibiting the activity of mTOR and its downstream targets. The purpose of this review is to briefly describe the problem of concurrent strength and endurance training and to examine new data highlighting potential molecular mechanisms that may help explain the inhibition of strength development when strength and endurance training are performed simultaneously.

http://sriechman.tamu.edu/629/2012/Nader%202006.pdf
Post 10 IP   flag post
Good links. Thanks man.
Post 11 IP   flag post
340618 11 11
destitute