Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
FailureSplit Advice

Training to Failure w/o Partner15589

nine0seven private msg quote post Address this user
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the U.S!

Anyways, the past month or so I've been following Stan Efferdings advice, seemed to make sense to me & figured Id give it a try (article below incase you haven't read it). I've noticed I can't go to true failure when I lift by myself, which is 99% of the time. If I do have a spot, it's just for one set or two & I'm usually waiting around for them to finish their set.

How can I go to true failure training by myself? Thanks guys

http://www.lift-run-bang.com/2013/09/awesome-write-up-from-stan-efferding.html?m=1
Post 1 IP   flag post
Tamere02 private msg quote post Address this user
Dont get how having a partner affects you tbh.
on deadlifts they have no effect so you can.
With benching assuming your not benching ridiculous EK weight than you can always do the roll of shame
for squats use safety bars.
Post 2 IP   flag post
oceanair private msg quote post Address this user
@nine0seven That is an interesting concept. I never felt the need for a partner, except for a bench spot. It's honestly just mind over matter in the end, with or without a partner there to push you.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
What's the problem? Keep lifting the weight untill you can not complete another rep, it's not rocket science :P
Post 4 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
I almost never train with a partner. I work out at a pretty fast pace, so it's kind of hard to. You don't really need to go to failure. I personally think overloading every workout is more important, and as long as you are pushing yourself really far, actually failing won't make a difference. And if you fail a lift, hey, you fail a lift. I've missed a couple of squats and benches in my day, but I also know that the fear of dropping a few hundred pounds on my head motivates me to lift it way more than having a spot.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans
You don't really need to go to failure. I personally think overloading every workout is more important

Correct, failure has it's place but it's a tool that should not be overused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Norton

research has shown that sets taken near, but not to failure are almost, if not as effective as sets taken to failure on inducing growth and there is the added benefit that they do not overtax your nervous system to the point where it reduces your strength, power, and volume output.

http://www.rxmuscle.com/2013-01-11-01-57-36/muscle-college/8396-muscle-college-6-5-13.html

PS, the "train heavy" part in the article is just not true, there's no magic rep range, only volume.

Post 6 IP   flag post
Jelet private msg quote post Address this user
You dont need to go to failure.

And your only need a training partner to help get the weights up as a lift off(help on the first rep so your not curling 120lbs on db shoulder press to get it up etc to heavy exercises like dumbbell shoulder press or flat dumbbell chest press.

But just go lighter and short rest times on the shoulder presses and do incline chest press instead and you should be fine. No need for training partner
Post 7 IP   flag post
340750 7 7
destitute