Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
IntroductionNewbieSplit Advice

Newbie just joined!15583

Shota34 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi I'm John and I am fairly new to bodybuilding and I had some questions.

Height: 6'4"
Weight: 182 pounds
Body fat %: unknown
Bench: 70 pounds at 8 reps, 4 sets
Squat: 80 pounds at 5 reps, 5 sets
Deadlift: 115 pounds at 8 reps, 4 sets
Experience: Approximately 2 months
Goals: to be healthier, stronger, and have a more aesthetic physique.

My current training plan:
http://www.buff-dudes.com/12weekplan/12weekplan.pdf

I have been doing the weeks 1-3 of this plan
I also do Brandon Carter's HIIT cardio after every workout.

I have a fair amount of belly fat and I was looking for a good diet plan to lose this body fat at the moment. I was also wondering if I should keep following this training program. Thank you!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Bucky private msg quote post Address this user
read the faq. get your macros in balance. don't think of it as a diet plan, but rather a balanced approach to losing fat. I'll let the rest of SS get in here to help with the rest.

on a side note, 15 years old and you're 6'4?!? wtf
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky
read the faq. get your macros in balance. don't think of it as a diet plan, but rather a balanced approach to losing fat. I'll let the rest of SS get in here to help with the rest.

on a side note, 15 years old and you're 6'4?!? wtf

Yeah I'm pretty tall. Thanks for the tips I'll get to reading the FAQ right away. Also, what did you mean by a balanced approach to losing fat?

Much thanks,
John
Post 3 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shota34
I have a fair amount of belly fat and I was looking for a good diet plan to lose this body fat at the moment.

A diet/cut makes no sense unless at your age... unless you're morbidly obese and at 6'4"/180 that's not you.

I would focus on cal surplus and a program like 5x5 as recommended in the FAQ. Just my $0.02.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew
Quote:
I have a fair amount of belly fat and I was looking for a good diet plan to lose this body fat at the moment.

A diet/cut makes no sense unless at your age... unless you're morbidly obese and at 6'4"/180 that's not you.

I would focus on cal surplus and a program like 5x5 as recommended in the FAQ. Just my $0.02.

I'm sorry if I'm asking a dumb question but would it be reasonable to lower my body fat first right now because I have a lot of belly fat. I am seeing a notable increase in muscle, but the belly fat is staying the same.

Thank you,
John
Post 5 IP   flag post
@Shota34 put your numbers into this web app - http://www.strstd.com/

You'll see that your #1 priority should be to add strength. A lot of strength. Cutting/dieting diminishes strength so I think it would be counter productive at this time even if you have a "lot of belly fat".
Post 6 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with @mikew. Don't try to cut. Focus on strength gains and like @Bucky said, read the FAQ thread and get your daily diet in check. Make sure you're eating the right amount of calories per day (maybe target maintenance level) and learn about macros.

At your age your body is about to explode with potential for muscle growth. You could be a TANK by the time you're 18.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:

You'll see that your #1 priority should be to add strength. A lot of strength. Cutting/dieting diminishes strength so I think it would be counter productive at this time even if you have a "lot of belly fat".

Oh okay, thanks for the tip 😀. Also are these total reps or reps per set?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemuscular
I agree with @mikew. Don't try to cut. Focus on strength gains and like @Bucky said, read the FAQ thread and get your daily diet in check. Make sure you're eating the right amount of calories per day (maybe target maintenance level) and learn about macros.

At your age your body is about to explode with potential for muscle growth. You could be a TANK by the time you're 18.

Quote:

Thanks everyone for the tips!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Oh okay, that's my for the tip 😀. Also as these total reps or reps per set?

That page just calculates your 1RM... and should give you a reality check.

You should start with a 5x5 program as explained in the FAQ. Listen to WBM too... he's the man!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh okay, that's my for the tip 😀. Also as these total reps or reps per set?

That page just calculates your 1RM... and should give you a reality check.

You should start with a 5x5 program as explained in the FAQ. Listen to WBM too... he's the man!

Oh sorry I stated that incorrectly, for the website at the reps section do I put total reps or reps per set?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Reps for a single set. Numbers get screwy if the # of reps is too high but should give you a rough idea of your maxes.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Reps for a single set. Numbers get screwy if the # of reps is too high but should give you a rough idea of your maxes.

What is a 5/3/1 routine?
Post 13 IP   flag post
@Shota34 531 is a simple routine for more advanced lifters. You'll be good on 5x5 for a while.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Shota34 531 is a simple routine for more advanced lifters. You'll be good on 5x5 for a while.

Should I do this routine that the website has given me? Also should I post the results from the website here?

Thanks
Post 15 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
I would also recommend not cutting, you aren't very heavy for your height. Even with some belly fat, having more muscle will make you look more athletic and well built overall. You need to make muscle to have something to actually cut to. You're at the prime age to really kick off making gains.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Should I do this routine that the website has given me? Also should I post the results from the website here?

Thanks

Huh?? Have suggested many times that you should do 5x5.

No need to post your estimated 1RMs

You can create a new thread to serve as your training log.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans
I would also recommend not cutting, you aren't very heavy for your height. Even with some belly fat, having more muscle will make you look more athletic and well built overall. You need to make muscle to have something to actually cut to. You're at the prime age to really kick off making gains.
Quote:

Which 5x5 should I do from the FAQ? Sorry that was a mistake on my part I misread your response.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Which 5x5 should I do from the FAQ? Sorry that was a mistake on my part I misread your response.

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

As for my diet, how do I know how many calories something is if I cook it? Thank you.
Post 20 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
@Shota34 Everything is labeled nowadays. You just have to get used to looking at the labels for calories, fat, carbs, proteins. Go by whats on the label and don't worry about when it's cooked.

Check out myfitnesspal.com. A lot of guys use that to track diet.
Post 21 IP   flag post
@wannabemuscular okay thanks, for this do I train the muscles not in the compound excercises at a different date, such as biceps or calves? Thank you
Post 22 IP   flag post
TimmothyGen private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome. The day you start lifting is the day you became forever small
[because you will never be as big as you want to be]
Post 23 IP   flag post
@TimmothyGen Lol thank you
Post 24 IP   flag post
340621 24 24
destitute