Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
LegsSplit AdviceSquats

Which is more taxing for the CNS?15564

Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
Im curious, which of the 2 alternatives below should be the most taxing for the central nervous system?
Lets say that the last rep in the last set is stopped 1 rep from failure and that a 3 minutes set rest is used.

• Squat: 120 kg x 8, 8, 8 = 2880 kg
• Squat: 135 kg x 5, 5, 5 = 2025 kg

So it's heavy load with less volume vs a moderate load but higher volume.
Post 1 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
My guess would be the heavier load would be more taxing on the CNS.
Post 2 IP   flag post
golago private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemuscular
My guess would be the heavier load would be more taxing on the CNS.


yes,
more you go throgh your 1 rep max u more taxing your cns.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Cannonball private msg quote post Address this user
Can't really compare volume like that. 1 rep on 200 kg is 200 kg, and 11 reps on 20 kg is 220 kg, meanwhile the difference in intensity is absolutely huge. It's a huge beginner programmers trap, just fyi.
Post 4 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawsteel
Im curious, which of the 2 alternatives below should be the most taxing for the central nervous system?
Lets say that the last rep in the last set is stopped 1 rep from failure and that a 3 minutes set rest is used.

• Squat: 120 kg x 8, 8, 8 = 2880 kg
• Squat: 135 kg x 5, 5, 5 = 2025 kg

So it's heavy load with less volume vs a moderate load but higher volume.


Can i ask ya WHY this would matter to you ??
Post 5 IP   flag post
Salokin private msg quote post Address this user
A quote from Paul Carter referencing a Justin Harris article and his own personal thoughts on the matter,
"I have never really believed in the whole "CNS burnout" theory in relation to lifting weights. As Justin notes here, you'll hear this term thrown all over the place on message boards but there isn't any peer reviewed material backing up this bro-science."

Lot's of guys got really big without even being able to spell central nervous system; in my opinion, it is commonly overthought, over written about, and too comonly used as an excuse.

The fact there are hundreds of bb.com articles on it is probably a really bad thing.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanSi

Can i ask ya WHY this would matter to you ??


It doesn't, im just curious.
Post 7 IP   flag post
340763 7 7
destitute