Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
ArmsSplit Advice

What affects tricep head being worked?15551

musclesbrah24 private msg quote post Address this user
For example,

Bicep long head = narrow grip
Bicep short head = wide grip

What affects tricep head emphasis? Wrist pronation/supination? Grip width? etc.

I have underdeveloped lateral head tricep. I did palms down tricep straight bar yesterday and felt it primarily in my long head. Thanks.
Post 1 IP   flag post
leanr0x private msg quote post Address this user

Post 2 IP   flag post
musclesbrah24 private msg quote post Address this user
dead srs
Post 3 IP   flag post
leanr0x private msg quote post Address this user
a muscle can only be contracted as a whole. you can not target different sections of a muscle because the whole muscle is working.
Post 4 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
You can't target different heads of the biceps. That's a myth. The only thing that makes a difference with the triceps is that the long head is more involved in extension movements (ie, skull-crushers, pushdowns) than in pressing movements (dips or CGBP) because of its point of origin on the scapula. -3X
Post 5 IP   flag post
musclesbrah24 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanr0x
a muscle can only be contracted as a whole. you can not target different sections of a muscle because the whole muscle is working.


I said emphasis. I do realize that when I do a narrow EZ bar curl that both heads of the biceps are working, but there is an emphasis on the long head. For years, I thought it was crap. Yesterday, I tried narrow EZ bar curl for the first time and felt contraction and tension on my outer bicep which never happened before. Whenever I mention contraction or feeling the muscles work in this forum it always gets downplayed.
Post 6 IP   flag post
musclesbrah24 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
You can't target different heads of the biceps. That's a myth. The only thing that makes a difference with the triceps is that the long head is more involved in extension movements (ie, skull-crushers, pushdowns) than in pressing movements (dips or CGBP) because of its point of origin on the scapula. -3X


Ok, so you told me long head exercises, but what about lateral head. Also check my response to leanr0x

EDIT: What about narrow stance squats vs. wide. Wide = more glutes and the muscle that is next to your crotch (don't know the name of it, but it adducts the legs I think, Narrow = more quads, less glutes. I have done this for years and I know for a fact that the stance width makes a difference
Post 7 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Believe what you want then. Biofeedback loops are not an accurate measure of muscle action. -3X
Post 8 IP   flag post
musclesbrah24 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
Believe what you want then. Biofeedback loops are not an accurate measure of muscle action. -3X


If biofeedback loops are not an accurate measure, then if a person benches and feels it in their legs, you are saying that it doesn't mean anything?
Post 9 IP   flag post
pandasashi private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by musclesbrah24
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
Believe what you want then. Biofeedback loops are not an accurate measure of muscle action. -3X


If biofeedback loops are not an accurate measure, then if a person benches and feels it in their legs, you are saying that it doesn't mean anything?

that's correct. and hes probly benching pretty wrong.
Post 10 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not going to continue debating this with you. Go look in the mirror and try to flex one head of your biceps more than the other. End of story. Your point about legs in the bench press isn't even material to this discussion. Can you bench with your legs driving so you feel it there? Yes. Can you ALSO bench with your feet in the air and still complete the movement? Yes. You can't flex the elbow and diminish use of one biceps head to any meaningful and significant degree. If you refuse to believe that, I'm not going to waste the time and energy providing support to something that has been established already.

Thus, to address your original question, any movement that extends the elbow (presses or extensions) will work the lateral head, but there is no way to preferentially work it. -3X
Post 11 IP   flag post
340621 11 11
destitute