Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
BulkingNewbieSplit AdviceTeenTraining Programs

Read the faq, still in need of some answers15538

BarbellBOB private msg quote post Address this user
Hello, after reading the faq and yesh, read it all i am still in need of some unanswered questions.
Basically my goal is BodyBuilding, not competing just for myself. after asking on BB . com the answer i got was kind of surprising, how come that if my goal is getting big, putting on size and building my body i have to start out with a Strength routine, which to be honest after most strength routines you look nothing like a muscular dude, ive done SS and i looked nothing close to my goal, no gains other than big legs, most people say get some strength then do a split, why? if someone weighing 70kg can do 150x5 squat or 90x5 squat does that really matter? as long as its that sepcific persons maximum? frankly, i am enojying splitting way more than working on most muscles at once, ive never actually done a split all the way through, so if i am looking to start my road to the goal physique, where do i actually start?
if this matters:
squat 120 (LB, switched to highbar due to injury, 105 on higbar)
deadlift 150
bench 102.5 all units are in KG for 5 reps... i greatly appreciate the time you take to read this
Post 1 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
I think most tell you to start with SS because it helps you work on your form in the big 3. If you can master your from in those lifts and can perform any exercise.

You just need more time for muscle mass. Just eat right, sleep right, train hard and muscles will
Have no other option but to grow and adapt. Just give it some time
Post 2 IP   flag post
cardinal private msg quote post Address this user
How long have you been lifting. If you're a beginner and can rep 150 kg for 5 on deadlifts that's really impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRorhrbac0808
I think most tell you to start with SS because it helps you work on your form in the big 3. If you can master your from in those lifts and can perform any exercise.

You just need more time for muscle mass. Just eat right, sleep right, train hard and muscles will

Also this. I've been lifting 'properly' for three years and yeah, I like to maintain a leaner physique. If you didn't see me with my top off though you wouldn't even know I lift. If you want to get massive naturally, don't expect any huge visible results for at least 2 years. Just my two cents.
Post 3 IP   flag post
@cardinal Ive been in the gym for about 2 years now, i took it seriously here and then and stopped alot, i got my membership back about 2 months back, i did ss for 2 months... started deads at 80Kgs, then i found out ss wasnt for me, didnt feel the whole concept...as for now, i tried lyle mcdonalds generic bulk routine, felt it was fairly easy and my body could do more, and now i am lost seeking your help i guess Quote:
Originally Posted by SRorhrbac0808

Doing all of em right, looking for the routine to be right as well
Post 4 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Strength routines elicit the same hypertrophy gains as bodybuilding routines. Have no idea where the notion came from that they garnish different physique results. The differences between the two are from diet and nutrition, not training methodology. -3X
Post 5 IP   flag post
@eknight The difference between the 2 would be cleanness? of the diet?
Post 6 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I don't believe in clean and dirty eating. It's nonsense. There's cals in and cals out. Many bodybuilders and physique athletes count the number of calories they consume because they have to- there's an appearance that they need to achieve on stage. Powerlifers need to stay within a given weight class and stay strong, so eating over their calorie expenditure for the day is less important. -3X
Post 7 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
@BarbellBOB You can gain muscle doing either strength or hypertrophy routines. If you don't want to run SS, then don't. Or run a routine that incorporates both. At the end of the day if you want to get bigger, pick a well set up routine you like, do it for a long time, and eat for success.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@eknight i see what you are saying, eating is not my problem i eat well, its the routine i am struggling with, right now i am running this 5 day split, what do you think about this?
Day 1: Chest
Flat Bench Press: 3 sets of 12 reps
Incline Dumbbell Press: 3 sets of 12 reps
Decline Dumbbell Press: 3 sets of 12 reps
Dumbbell Flyes: 3 sets of 12 reps
Cable Crossover: 3 sets of 12 reps
Chest Pullover: 3 sets of 12 reps
Weighted Crunches: 3 sets of 12 reps
Leg Raises: 3 sets of 12 reps
Ab Twists: 3 sets of 12 reps

Day 2: Back

Deadlifts: 3 sets of 12 reps
Weighted Pull Ups: 3 sets of 12 reps
Yates Rows: 3 sets of 12 reps
Dumbbell Rows: 3 sets of 12 reps
Lat Pulldown: 3 sets of 12 reps
Dumbbell Shrugs: 3 sets of 12 reps

Day 3: Off

Day 4: Shoulders

Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 3 sets of 12 reps
Arnold Presses: 3 sets of 12 reps
Side Raises: 3 sets of 12 reps
Front Raises: 3 sets of 12 reps
Wide Grip Upright Rows: 3 sets of 12 reps
Weighted Crunches: 3 sets of 12 reps

Day 5: Legs

Squat: 3 sets of 12 reps
Leg Press: 3 sets of 12 reps
Lunges: 3 sets of 12 reps
Leg Extensions: 3 sets of 12 reps
Leg Curls: 3 sets of 12 reps
Donkey Calf Raises: 3 sets of 12 reps

Day 6: Arms

Close Grip Bench Press: 3 sets of 12 reps
V-Bar Tricep Extension: 3 sets of 12 reps
Skull Crushers: 3 sets of 12 reps
Pull Downs: 3 sets of 12 reps
Bicep Barbell Curls: 3 sets of 12 reps
Alternate Dumbbell Curls: 3 sets of 12 reps
Preacher Curls: 3 sets of 12 reps
Reverse Grip Curls: 3 sets of 12 reps
Weighted crunches: 3 sets of 12 reps

Day 7: Off
Post 9 IP   flag post
@Beans True words, the routine above, whatcha think?
Post 10 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
That is not only a bro split, it's an awful one. -3X
Post 11 IP   flag post
Think about how much bigger legs and back are compared to your chest and arms. Then look at how you are doing the same amount, if not more, chest/arms than back and legs.

I personally prefer less exercises, more frequency. That's just me. If you want to run a split like that, I'd at least get one that's more balanced. I'd check that FAQ thread again, there are some good routines in there.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@eknight @Beans Thanks for the heads up, got that from bb . com
ive looked through and noticed PHAT which looks frankly good, is that considered a Bb routine or more of strength?
EDIT: TBH, GVT PHAT AND PPL all look extremely interesting,this is an extremly hard choice i need help with!
Post 13 IP   flag post
@BarbellBOB Both, but I would say bodybuilding. I would imagine someone power lifting at a more advanced level would want something that is all about strength gains, while PHAT has hypertrophy and strength days. The dude who created it is jacked and strong as hell, so I'd say it's well rounded.

I love PPL, never ran another routine longer than that one.

I ran GVT for the two full sessions years ago. I had fun because it was different, but I found at the end you defintetly have to neglect some smaller muscles. Great for overall size, not great for someone who's calves, arms, and shoulders don't grow that much from doing just compound lifts and a couple accessories. (Like myself)
Post 14 IP   flag post
@Beans ID love it if you could take a re read at the edit
Post 15 IP   flag post
@Beans sorry for double comment, now that we are at some sort of understanding, PS you helped me a LOT! if i have to choose between phat and ppl for size, what one would i go for is a hard choice TBH
Post 16 IP   flag post
@BarbellBOB Honestly up to you, comes down to personal preference. Both will be the same for size, it will come down to diet and rest. I say whichever you think looks more fun, do that.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@Beans
SO i am gonna go for PHAT, and i am actually pretty psyched! can i add on rest day a bit of cardio? ive trained on sunday and monday, i guess ill just start out the program as of "day 4". @eknight you both have helped me greatly thank you 1000 times
Post 18 IP   flag post
Frostshock private msg quote post Address this user
@BarbellBOB PHAT is by far my favorite routine so I have a bias 😁
I personally use rest days purely for rest - im sure others will have some input on the effect for phat
Post 19 IP   flag post
@Frostshock Sounds real fun, cant wait to hit it on wednesday, will open a log for sure
Post 20 IP   flag post
@BarbellBOB I would personally rest on rest days. If you're cutting, I would expend as little energy as possible to achieve desired results so you don't burn yourself out too quickly.
Post 21 IP   flag post
@Beans @Frostshock http://forum.simplyshredded.com/topic/15545/phat-log-time-to-get-serious/ my log if ya wanna follow
Post 22 IP   flag post
340609 22 22
destitute