Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
CardioNewbieTeenTraining Programs

My son seeking advice - he wanna get fit!15428

Xandre private msg quote post Address this user
Hello people,

My son is 17 years old and slightly overweight. He wanna lose 30 pounds, and I plan to support him all the way.

I did some studies, and I have made him do "HIIT" monday, wednesday and friday.

The routine consists of a warmup, followed up by 30 seconds sprint and 30 seconds walk x 8.
Ended with a stretching session.

Is this too harsh for a beginner?

He doesn't have any equipment yet, but it won't be long until I pick him something up. Until then, could he do pushups or anything alike, the two other days he doesn't do hiit?

I will keep motivating him, but he is a special kid who have had it a bit rough. I plan to do the exercises with him in the start, so it is easier for him to give it all he has!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Johanna private msg quote post Address this user
I can't stress this enough-

HE SHOULD LIFT.

And-Usually intervals for hiit as a beginner would be 60 to 90 seconds jog 30 seconds sprint. All out sprinting every 30 seconds is extremely difficult for experienced trainers, and for someone who is an overweight beginner, I doubt he is getting benefit from his sprints (but I could be wrong).

Concentrate on nutrition.

Also, you said you "have made him" do hiit? Sounds harsh :/
Post 2 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandre

I will keep motivating him, but he is a special kid who have had it a bit rough. I plan to do the exercises with him in the start, so it is easier for him to give it all he has!

Read our FAQ at the top of the forum.

Also, why stop doing it with him. Maybe you just found a new outlet to keep with your son. Eventually he's gonna grow up and move out. Let this be another thing you guys share.
Post 3 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
^that was beautiful @solarflex
Post 4 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
@SOLARSUPLEX Well said! As a parent of young kids I cannot wait until my son is old enough to start lifting weights. I'm gonna make him a BEAST!
Post 5 IP   flag post
@SRorhrbac0808 @wannabemuscular I prepared a speech but im just at a loss for words. I'd like to thank the academy and all my fans. I do it for the ratchets, mate.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna
I can't stress this enough-

HE SHOULD LIFT.

And-Usually intervals for hiit as a beginner would be 60 to 90 seconds jog 30 seconds sprint. All out sprinting every 30 seconds is extremely difficult for experienced trainers, and for someone who is an overweight beginner, I doubt he is getting benefit from his sprints (but I could be wrong).

Concentrate on nutrition.

Also, you said you "have made him" do hiit? Sounds harsh :/

Hi Johanna, and thank you for your reply.

English is not my native language, and I expressed myself wrongly. He told me to create a program for him, thus why I said "I have made him do HIIT" (based on the studies I've done). Unfortunately, he have had his challenges in life, and I only just came into his life again, about half a year ago.
I told him that I wanted to support him in reaching his goals of losing his weight: By creating a program, which we can do together, and also, work together in creating a proper diet.
Post 7 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
@Xandre Well then if you've just come back into his life, what @SOLARSUPLEX said makes even more sense. This could be how you really start growing a bond together. Guy stuff, man to man, father and son ... Training together and striving toward a common goal would be awesome for you guys.

You should get him to sign up here. There are a guys around his age on here already. Some even younger.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemuscular
@Xandre Well then if you've just come back into his life, what @SOLARSUPLEX said makes even more sense. This could be how you really start growing a bond together. Guy stuff, man to man, father and son ... Training together and striving toward a common goal would be awesome for you guys.

You should get him to sign up here. There are a guys around his age on here already. Some even younger.

I see where you're coming from friend.

Our story short, is that her mother left me with my son, because I chose to go to war in the middle east. I am a staff sergeant, and I've been to Afghanistan a few times, among other cruel places.

My kid himself suddenly added me on facebook, and we arranged a meeting. I have never been more happy, so I really treasure his return in my life!

He even said that he want's to join the army too. Now, I support the less riskier educations... But I can't help being proud.
Post 9 IP   flag post
DEXchidera private msg quote post Address this user
Very supportive, touching thread shredheads. I'm proud of you guys
Welcome to the boards xandre
Post 10 IP   flag post
Well congratulations on your connection with your son!

Welcome to the forums.

I like you because English is not your native language, though you can use your and you're correctly.

When researching keep in mind that there is a lot of 'fake' information floating around. We refer to this as broscience. This forum is 90% based on scientific evidence and actual proven methods. No guessing.

If your sons goal is to lose weight. The most important part is going to be his diet. Which for a younger lad I understand is a difficult thing to work with.

I shit you not. Get him a dog. A dog that he needs to take outwide and walk/ jog with and care for. that will make going out on a rainy day worth it and there is no avoiding it.
Post 11 IP   flag post
340617 11 11
destitute