Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
NewbieSplit AdviceTeen

15 Years Old15423

alwayscurved private msg quote post Address this user
I am 6'2, 160 lbs. Although I'm pretty thin, I have a good amount of fat all around. I have just recently started taking an interest in getting in shape/lifting. I am very out of shape. I can just barely curl the one 25lb dumb bell I have at home. I do have access to a gym, and already eat healthy.

Being as weak as I am, what should I really get started with? I do not know the first thing about lifting, and curling is the one thing I've ever tried.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Frostshock private msg quote post Address this user
http://forum.simplyshredded.com/topic/13958/simply-shredded-faq/

-Read up
-Ask questions about anything the FAQ already hasnt answered
-profit
Post 2 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
Solid questions bud. We have a great forum here with great members and lots to learn from everyone. Like frost shock said, check out the FAQ and if any questions remain don't hesitate to ask! Stick around and maybe make a log with your progress if you want.
Post 3 IP   flag post
naturalgallant private msg quote post Address this user
I found it best to start simple, and build from there. There's lots of info so it can get pretty overwhelming, but starting is the most important thing.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Jelet private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostshock

-Read up
-profit
You should update your FAQ and put that creatine should be used by 18+ It can have negative impact on kidneys effects for people like OP under 18 to take it. Considering he is only 15 years old.

Also for routine, I dont think any of the beginner programs would be appropriate for an 15 year old who has no clue about lifting.(more so because a novice 15yr old without a proper trainer to teach him how to squat /deadlift correctly especially in the lower rep range can be easily injured, especially at the age of 15 with weaker joints and new to lifting. an accident waiting to happen. atleast give it a few months for the tendons to get used to weightlifting and for him to get comfortable in the gym etc.)

OP, try this routine for 4-5 months. on a 300 calorie surplus. Follow everything else other than the FAQ thread should be helpful.

my recommended routine for you OP: (iv used it on kids your age that ask me for advice and they make decent gains off it when starting off at your age)

All exercises to be performed in the 8-12 rep range. 3 sets. 1-2 minute rest time.

Monday, wednesday, friday- Flat dumbbell chest press
Dumbbell Shoulder press
Chin ups
2 sets of facepulls
dumbbell Lounges
Rope crunches
3 sets of rotator cuff exercise at the end of your workout.. 15-20 rep range..

Search shoulder warmup as well, start your workout with that... And do 2/3 x your working load on your first exercise and do 12 reps with that to warm up.

I think this should treat you good for the first 4 months. Then come back and report your gains and we can help build you a new routine. Check out tutorials on lifting on youtube to make sure your using correct form.

Also I recomm

Just my 2 cents.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Kansas___Boyyyyy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelet
Quote:

-Read up
-profit
You should update your FAQ and put that creatine should be used by 18+ It can have negative impact on kidneys effects for people like OP under 18 to take it. Considering he is only 15 years old.

Also for routine, I dont think any of the beginner programs would be appropriate for an 15 year old who has no clue about lifting.(more so because a novice 15yr old without a proper trainer to teach him how to squat /deadlift correctly especially in the lower rep range can be easily injured, especially at the age of 15 with weaker joints and new to lifting. an accident waiting to happen. atleast give it a few months for the tendons to get used to weightlifting and for him to get comfortable in the gym etc.)

OP, try this routine for 4-5 months. on a 300 calorie surplus. Follow everything else other than the FAQ thread should be helpful.

my recommended routine for you OP: (iv used it on kids your age that ask me for advice and they make decent gains off it when starting off at your age)

All exercises to be performed in the 8-12 rep range. 3 sets. 1-2 minute rest time.

Dumbbell Shoulder press
Chin ups
2 sets of facepulls
dumbbell Lounges
Rope crunches

Search shoulder warmup as well, start your workout with that... And do 2/3 x your working load on your first exercise and do 12 reps with that to warm up.

I think this should treat you good for the first 4 months. Then come back and report your gains and we can help build you a new routine. Check out tutorials on lifting on youtube to make sure your using correct form.

Also I recomm

Just my 2 cents.

@alwayscurved ignore this garbage that the only legwork is lunges and it has cable crunches.

Research 5x5 routines...at your age do ALL of the compound movements Bench Press, Squat, Deadlift, Overhead press (i'd start on machine for that one) add in accessory lifts focusing on isolation. 15-25 sets on each muscle group

As far as nutrition eat it all. everything you can find.

Lastly Follow WinnersNeverQuit's thread or pm him. He is very young and out lifts nearly everyone on this forum.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas___Boyyyyy
Quote:
Quote:

-Read up
-profit

Dumbbell Shoulder press
Chin ups
2 sets of facepulls
dumbbell Lounges
Rope crunches

Also I recomm

Just my 2 cents.

@alwayscurved ignore this garbage that the only legwork is lunges and it has cable crunches.

Research 5x5 routines...at your age do ALL of the compound movements Bench Press, Squat, Deadlift, Overhead press (i'd start on machine for that one) add in accessory lifts focusing on isolation. 15-25 sets on each muscle group

Lastly Follow WinnersNeverQuit's thread or pm him. He is very young and out lifts nearly everyone on this forum.

Why is my post garbage? Do I need to post studies that Creatine is harmful to the liver when someone is under age of 18? Im potentially saving this kid some issues in the future.

And it is so irresponsible to recommend an inexperienced 15 year old a 5x5 program. His form on benching,squating, deadlifting will be off without someone with experience to monitor him, i see it all the time in my gym. Even on this very same forum that recommends these programs to kids like him.

When someone is new to lifting, they experience rapid strength gains... aka "newb gains"

Now the thing is the tendons take time to get strong. Without getting to scientific , the muscles grow at a faster rate than the tendon strength and thus create a huge risk of injury. The tendons cant keep up with the added strength.... Especially at 15 years old, the joints at that age are not as thick/strong as someone older.. Combine this with bad form and the kid is just asking to be injured.

when your 15 years old and new to lifting YOU DONT NEED MUCH TO GROWL . You can do very little sets of each muscle group for the first 3-4 months and grow the same and safer than any other damn dangerous program that you recommend. More is not better.

OP, you can ignore me if you want, but dont come crying when you end up injured.

Heres an example what im talking about. I AM THE ONE who told the kid to post videos of his form because i KNEW a 15 year old new to the gym will have bad form. And your recommended kids like this to follow a 5x5 program before they even get the basics on proper form down with light weight first. hilarious.

http://forum.simplyshredded.com/profile/_peterbrah

and his progress.... wait for it guys

When natural you should not eat 500 calories above maintenance. Your going to gain fat, create fat cells, then take the time to cut when you can just slowly bulk up and not worry about having to cut as hard.

The FAQ needs to be updated to lower the 500 calorie surplus to 300... Add a more safer program for beginners than 5x5... put the warning on creatine under 18 can be harmful to kidney.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Kansas___Boyyyyy private msg quote post Address this user
Your lifting program is garbage for any gains. me recommending him a 5x5 has nothing to do with form. 5x5 is one of the most tried and true beginner programs there is. Where in your workout are they going to learn squat or dead lift form? Those lifts aren't in your program are they going to magically learn them?
Post 8 IP   flag post
my lifting program is not garbage. I'v had young kids have good muscle gains off it injury free. i'v seen it with my 2 eyes.

Him being a beginner he WILL grow off it and with a 200-300 calorie surplus there will be VERY MINIMAL FAT GAINS. So whats the issue? some muscle gains, injury free, getting used to the gym environment... for 4 months.. then he can change up his program..

i said after 4 months of my program, he can change his routine. There is no need for a novice 15 year old with no one experienced to teach him, to rush into a 5x5 program.

Hell even petebrah, i bet if he posts recent videos of him deadlifting or squatting, HIS FORM WILL STILL BE OFF. This is because of the immaturity and carelessness of being a 15 year old... This is why i dont think 5x5 is good for 15 year olds with no one in real life to teach them.

He can try learning the front squat after 4 months. and post videos of him doing lightweight for us to approve of his form. this is a smart approach to this situation.

Deadlifts, its not needed at his age. But front squat is good, but i recommend holding off on it for atleast 4 months of lifting, then he can change his routine around and start adding more exercises and doing a low volume push/pull/leg split... but we can worry about that 4 months down the line.

All im saying, is the kid is 15 years old, with no one around to teach him how to squat or deadlift or bench properly, so how do you expect him to do a 5x5 without knowing how to perform these lifts properly. hes going to waste time trying to get these lifts down with just the bar and make no gains when he can follow my advice with EASY exercises, make gains... and slowly practice the squat with just the bar while he is doing my program, slowly add weight while posting videos of his form etc. and then once he has his form down he can change his program and start going heavy... 5x5.

but to recommend a 15 year old to jump straight into a 5x5 with no idea how to lift is just foolish.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
Agree with @Jelet on this one. No reason someone at 15 can't do big compound lifts, but OP is a complete beginner. I like the program, and it gives him time to practice the big lifts without trying to progress really quickly.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
@alwayscurved There's still a lot of good info on the FAQ, I'd still read it. Stick around and ask more questions, people are always willing to give advice to someone looking to learn.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
- Eat as much as you can.
- Look up simple strength programmes.
- Watch youtube vids, study form, learn the correct way to preform the compound movements.
- Don't rush weight onto the bar.
- Ask questions on here if you need any assistance.

Everyone is a beginner at the start, even people at the top end of the sport.

Watch our for people who preach bro science and ignore them
Post 12 IP   flag post
Rgall92 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev182
- Eat as much as you can.
- Look up simple strength programmes.
- Watch youtube vids, study form, learn the correct way to preform the compound movements.
- Don't rush weight onto the bar.
- Ask questions on here if you need any assistance.

Everyone is a beginner at the start, even people at the top end of the sport.

Watch our for people who preach bro science and ignore them

Second this.

Learn the basic movements, slowly add weight to the bar, and make sure you're eating adequate protein. You'll grow like no tomorrow anyway in your first year weight training... Be patient and enjoy the journey!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Method private msg quote post Address this user
Op - I'd start with the standard full body 3x a week. Keep the weight light at first and focus on the form. There is no reason to pussyfoot it into a weight training program and not hit the compounds. Do this for 3-4 months.

Monday, Wednesday, Friday
Bench press
Lat Pulldowns
Military press
curl
tricep extensions or dips
squats
calves

Eat, sleep, rave...wait...eat, sleep, lift, repeat.
Post 14 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
No creatine and no need to be impatient. It's a marathon, not a sprint. -3X
Post 15 IP   flag post
OlympusSculpted private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

-Read up
-profit

Dumbbell Shoulder press
Chin ups
2 sets of facepulls
dumbbell Lounges
Rope crunches

Also I recomm

Just my 2 cents.

Why is my post garbage? Do I need to post studies that Creatine is harmful to the liver when someone is under age of 18? Im potentially saving this kid some issues in the future.

And it is so irresponsible to recommend an inexperienced 15 year old a 5x5 program. His form on benching,squating, deadlifting will be off without someone with experience to monitor him, i see it all the time in my gym. Even on this very same forum that recommends these programs to kids like him.

When someone is new to lifting, they experience rapid strength gains... aka "newb gains"

Now the thing is the tendons take time to get strong. Without getting to scientific , the muscles grow at a faster rate than the tendon strength and thus create a huge risk of injury. The tendons cant keep up with the added strength.... Especially at 15 years old, the joints at that age are not as thick/strong as someone older.. Combine this with bad form and the kid is just asking to be injured.

when your 15 years old and new to lifting YOU DONT NEED MUCH TO GROWL . You can do very little sets of each muscle group for the first 3-4 months and grow the same and safer than any other damn dangerous program that you recommend. More is not better.

OP, you can ignore me if you want, but dont come crying when you end up injured.

Heres an example what im talking about. I AM THE ONE who told the kid to post videos of his form because i KNEW a 15 year old new to the gym will have bad form. And your recommended kids like this to follow a 5x5 program before they even get the basics on proper form down with light weight first. hilarious.

When natural you should not eat 500 calories above maintenance. Your going to gain fat, create fat cells, then take the time to cut when you can just slowly bulk up and not worry about having to cut as hard.

The FAQ needs to be updated to lower the 500 calorie surplus to 300... Add a more safer program for beginners than 5x5... put the warning on creatine under 18 can be harmful to kidney.

I don't know what's scarier, your hatred for use of creatine or the fact you have shirtless pictures of children at the ready to post anytime you feel like it

Nice jelet
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlympusSculpted
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

-Read up
-profit

Dumbbell Shoulder press
Chin ups
2 sets of facepulls
dumbbell Lounges
Rope crunches

Also I recomm

Just my 2 cents.

I don't know what's scarier, your hatred for use of creatine or the fact you have shirtless pictures of children at the ready to post anytime you feel like it

Nice jelet
What is your problem? Any little thing that i post you have a problem with. As if all of the other posters in this thread offer such good advice. And my advice was so wrong and bad that you feel the need to quote me.

such as creatine for the under age. Your recommending someone under 18 to take creatine that is scientifically proven to be very harmful to the kidneys when taken under 18. wtf is wrong with you?

such as eating everything in site as if gaining fat is impossible.

having no idea how to lift, so lets jump into heavy lifting without learning how to bench/squat/deadlift properly.

yes lets start with light weight to get the form down while eating everything in sight , and gaining pure fat because there is not much stimulating muscle when you are focusing on form with light weights..... Or say he does go heavier , there is only so much muscle you can gain as a natural per week...

so much bad advice. but you feel the need to try to quote me. as if everyone is right and im the only one wrong.

1.Studies show harmful effects to people who use creatine under 18. whats the problem?

2. all i did was go back to that old thread and copy and paste his pics that he posted. took less than a minute.

Dont be mad because that kid who i posted pics FOLLOWED ALL of your shitty advice and got shitty results and had shit form. Oh gee what a surprise. I didnt see this happening. I also had no idea that his form would be so bad. oh wait i did, i called it from day 1. And i dont want the same thing to happen to this poor innocent kid.

Get your head out of your ass and stop thinking you know it all and maybe you can learn a thing or 2 from me.

Out of all the posters in this thread you have an issue with me.

As if they wont see gains from doing in the 8-12 rep range on a full body routine... The ignorance.... and the 5x5 program for beginners is so powerful , and peteguy demonstrated just how good the program was smart you all are in training .

Honestly that FAQ guide needs a few changes. And if you disagree with my recommended changes please let me know why. Besides for just disagreeing with me because im Jelet. Again, some of you kids need to set your issues aside with me and maybe you can learn a thing or 2 because clearly a lot of you dont have much knowledge on bodybuidling with your broscience posts.

1. Creatine, fails to mention that it should be taken if you are under 18. This is a health hazard. (Real studies show this.)

2. And you should never try to gain a lb a week as a natural. Studies show this is impossible to gain this much muscle in a week naturally. The calorie surplus needs to be adjusted to 200-300. And if intermediate, 200 calorie surplus - 250 calorie surplus. (Real studies show this.)

3. There needs to be more beginner programs that are safer for people such as OP in in it... heavy 5x5 programs for novice lifters is risky. Because most novice lifters dont know how to lift with proper form so mind as well do another routine while learnin the basic compound movements with very light weight.... Rather than waste time to get the form down and gain fat or waste time in the gym doing nothing but lifting with light weights to attempt to get the form down, or by rushing into a 5x5 program with bad form and heavy lifting waiting for an injury to occur.

(Simple logic you can see that I do have a point)

4. "Although it isn’t necessary, Whey Protein can be convenient for hitting high protein requirements."

Whey protein powder alone, you lose more than half of the protein content. Well your body uses it, but not for protein synthesis. Should be added to mix casein powder with the whey protein or just buy casein protein powder by itself. (Real studies show this.)

im trying to teach you lightweights but you dont want to learn.
Post 17 IP   flag post
DEXchidera private msg quote post Address this user
Lol... I love you guys
Post 18 IP   flag post
OlympusSculpted private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlympusSculpted
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

-Read up
-profit

Dumbbell Shoulder press
Chin ups
2 sets of facepulls
dumbbell Lounges
Rope crunches

Also I recomm

Just my 2 cents.

Nice jelet
What is your problem? Any little thing that i post you have a problem with. As if all of the other posters in this thread offer such good advice. And my advice was so wrong and bad that you feel the need to quote me.

such as creatine for the under age. Your recommending someone under 18 to take creatine that is scientifically proven to be very harmful to the kidneys when taken under 18. wtf is wrong with you?

such as eating everything in site as if gaining fat is impossible.

having no idea how to lift, so lets jump into heavy lifting without learning how to bench/squat/deadlift properly.

yes lets start with light weight to get the form down while eating everything in sight , and gaining pure fat because there is not much stimulating muscle when you are focusing on form with light weights..... Or say he does go heavier , there is only so much muscle you can gain as a natural per week...

so much bad advice. but you feel the need to try to quote me. as if everyone is right and im the only one wrong.

1.Studies show harmful effects to people who use creatine under 18. whats the problem?

2. all i did was go back to that old thread and copy and paste his pics that he posted. took less than a minute.

Dont be mad because that kid who i posted pics FOLLOWED ALL of your shitty advice and got shitty results and had shit form. Oh gee what a surprise. I didnt see this happening. I also had no idea that his form would be so bad. oh wait i did, i called it from day 1. And i dont want the same thing to happen to this poor innocent kid.

Get your head out of your ass and stop thinking you know it all and maybe you can learn a thing or 2 from me.

Out of all the posters in this thread you have an issue with me.

As if they wont see gains from doing in the 8-12 rep range on a full body routine... The ignorance.... and the 5x5 program for beginners is so powerful , and peteguy demonstrated just how good the program was smart you all are in training .

Honestly that FAQ guide needs a few changes. And if you disagree with my recommended changes please let me know why. Besides for just disagreeing with me because im Jelet. Again, some of you kids need to set your issues aside with me and maybe you can learn a thing or 2 because clearly a lot of you dont have much knowledge on bodybuidling with your broscience posts.

1. Creatine, fails to mention that it should be taken if you are under 18. This is a health hazard. (Real studies show this.)

2. And you should never try to gain a lb a week as a natural. Studies show this is impossible to gain this much muscle in a week naturally. The calorie surplus needs to be adjusted to 200-300. And if intermediate, 200 calorie surplus - 250 calorie surplus. (Real studies show this.)

3. There needs to be more beginner programs that are safer for people such as OP in in it... heavy 5x5 programs for novice lifters is risky. Because most novice lifters dont know how to lift with proper form so mind as well do another routine while learnin the basic compound movements with very light weight.... Rather than waste time to get the form down and gain fat or waste time in the gym doing nothing but lifting with light weights to attempt to get the form down, or by rushing into a 5x5 program with bad form and heavy lifting waiting for an injury to occur.

(Simple logic you can see that I do have a point)

4. "Although it isn’t necessary, Whey Protein can be convenient for hitting high protein requirements."

Whey protein powder alone, you lose more than half of the protein content. Well your body uses it, but not for protein synthesis. Should be added to mix casein powder with the whey protein or just buy casein protein powder by itself. (Real studies show this.)

im trying to teach you lightweights but you dont want to learn.
tl;dr

I wasn't being serious

You just get butthurt off of one reply

You should write a novel srs

Jelet pls
Post 19 IP   flag post
Corkey private msg quote post Address this user
Jelet please refer me to these articles proving creatine to damage your kidneys when taken under the age of 18... all protein can damage your kidneys when taken in complete excess. creatine is a bond of amino acids. basic shit bro..

.ntsreifsrs

I agree with the 5x5 program, proven time and again as a beginner program to develop strength as well as hypertrophy with volume...

OP - keep asking questions when you dont know something and make sure to do your homework and research, guys on here hate lazy kunts
Post 20 IP   flag post
Corkey private msg quote post Address this user
If the program you start doesnt include squats, deads, bench and military presses you may aswell be throwing hay bails around..

i regret not listening to older guys at first saying i should be squatting instead of doing leg extensions and should be benching instead of doing cable crosses, i would be a fucking machine now if i had skipped the complex stuff and stuck to the basic compounds for the first while..

look for a 5x5 style program of major compounds with an isolation exercise here and there.. youre growing too now mate and youre a monster for a 15 year old being 6ft2! use it to your advantage and get those calories in!
Post 21 IP   flag post
340750 21 21
destitute