Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
CardioHIITSplit Advice

Cardio as a physique athlete, what types15419

imcca001 private msg quote post Address this user
Hey
Im wondering if any of you guys do any type of cardio, or recommend any types as physique athletes. Thanks.
Post 1 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
Burning a calorie is burning a calorie. Some people prefer HIIT(high intensity interval training) while others prefer LISS(low intensity sustained s... I forget)

I prefer the cycle for HIIT and the stair climber for when I just want to zone out and walk.

I do pretty much everything I can to avoid the treadmill.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Konstantinov private msg quote post Address this user
I enjoy some sprinting every now and then, always HIIT, can't and won't get myself to do LISS.
Post 3 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
I know Alberto Nunez did no cardio until like the last few weeks of his prep. One of the Most shredded guy on the damn planet. Danimal as well did none until about the last week.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
Hiit everytime for me.

Aint nobody got time for they 1hr treadmill liss sessions.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Perfidy private msg quote post Address this user
I know a couple pros who have stopped doing cardio in their last few shows and instead have upped their training frequency (Mark Dugdale for example). They seem to love the results.
Post 6 IP   flag post
LVjack private msg quote post Address this user
I walk outside a lot and just listen to a joe rogan podcast. Doesn't even feel like cardio. 1.5hrs a day right now. Also do the stairclimber post workout.
Post 7 IP   flag post
cardinal private msg quote post Address this user
I actually enjoy walking as I live near some fantastic natural scenery. I've been known to sprint occasionally too. Much prefer long walks though. First thing I do when I get off work is get changed and go for a 30 minute walk. I find it really relaxing.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
I prefer playing sports over plain old cardio.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Rawn private msg quote post Address this user
Good sweat going on this 15 Min HIIT
Post 10 IP   flag post
darklight79 private msg quote post Address this user
The last time I did LISS outdoors, I ended up at a Wendy burger joint halfway. And it all went downhill after that.

I prefer hill sprints or stair sprints since I stay at a 21 floor condo.
Post 11 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
^lmfao
Post 12 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRorhrbac0808
^lmfao

^lmfao
Post 13 IP   flag post
Bucky private msg quote post Address this user
taken from a thread on a private forum board having to do with AAS so ignore the parts of that but good info regardless:

I have discussed the physiological health/fat loss reasons for cardio, but there are many questions about the execution and style of cardio that best fits ones goals. There are two camps of thought. Low impact, steady state cardio verses HIIT or high intensity style. Which is better and why?

The first issue we face is the inconsistency of the energy burned for HIT style of training. They are only estimates especially when it comes to the post workout burn which is HIIT biggest selling point. Should You Never Do HIIT? No. HIIT has benefits: it takes less time, it is more fun and if you enjoy HIIT and there are no overlapping repercussions to your bodybuilding goals then it may be a great option. HIIT is also a useful method for improving athletic performance to get faster. It does enhance maximum oxygen uptake and anaerobic metabolism for athletes like competitive runners and cyclists.

But here are a few more important points. First, studies show steady state cardio has important beneficial adaptations in both fat oxidation and insulin sensitivity that the interval training programs do not. Second, as mentioned earlier post-workout burn has been grossly overstated on previous studies. Newer recent studies show very disappointing post burn results. Here are some numbers.

30mins HIIT: burns 324kcal (including a 14% post-workout afterburn )
45mins steady state cardio: burns 481kcal (incl 7% post-workout afterburn )

So if you calculate the total calories burned you will notice very little TOTAL difference. In one study, following intervals, a whopping 35 some odd extra calories were additionally burned.

If you are a bodybuilder with extraordinarily HIGH amounts of lean tissue over your average fitness athlete in diet mode then your are concerned with FOUR components of cardio. 1) A general slow increase of calorie expenditure for fat loss. 2) Maintenance of lean tissue 3) Preservation of joints and tendons. 4) The least mentioned, to sustain and conserve the nervous system for sub 7% body fat levels (most athletes do not go below here).

How do I prefer cardio? I start with 30 minutes of low impact as a base FIRST. If I am losing body fat at 30 minutes I simply just keep it there. Only once I start to plateau would there be a slow increase to time....

But regardless of the time spent and style, is cardio's main purpose for heath reasons or for body fat loss? Or both? You can do either style of cardio and if you are still consuming more energy then required you will not see any fat loss. There are a couple of key variable which would change the basal requirements including: the amounts of insulin/gh used, test dose, and lean body mass one has over and above normal standards.

Age and weight training intensity are also important factors in the style of cardio one can utilize. The older you get the less high impact, HIIT style of cardio you can do. There came a point where my knees could not tolerate both high intensity cardio and squats. One had to give!! I am a bodybuilder, so high intensity/hit style was out for good LONG time ago. I prefer steady state cardio like a walking on a treadmill at approximately 3.7-4mph on an angle of 3 for 30mins a day. But I do this first thing in the morning on an empty stomach at home. The ideal degree and speed keeps my knees healthy and pain free for leg days. The other issue bodybuilders face is the degree of strain on joints and tendons when certain HIIT exercises can create unequal or an unbalanced loads. As lean tissue becomes excessive, extreme flexibility and fluidity changes mobility. This is turn can cause injury especially when sharp and violent moves are made. There is nothing worse the getting injured while prepping and dieting after putting is so much time, effort and sacrifices in place!!!

Now to the nervous system. What I have also personally found over the years is that HIT style puts tremendous pressure on my nervous system. It makes dieting down to the sub 7% levels virtually impossible. You feel completely burned out especially if you have intense leg training secessions. Those who use insulin during this phase would have faster nervous system recovery. Since I do not use insulin, I would have to SUBSTANTIALLY increase stimulants, which are NOT an option for me. Second, if low impact cardio is used it must also start with the lowest time and intensity possible to conserve the nervous system for when you will really need it. I don't need any stimulants besides a cup of coffee on low impact style. The last and final question once your sub 7%BF, can the style of cardio help you maintain a normal work and family life?
Post 14 IP   flag post
darklight79 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky

30mins HIIT: burns 324kcal (including a 14% post-workout afterburn )
45mins steady state cardio: burns 481kcal (incl 7% post-workout afterburn )

@Bucky I remember where Layne said if one claims they can do 30 mins of HIIT, it's not HIIT. If done correctly, 8-10 mins of true HIIT wipes you out.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Bucky private msg quote post Address this user
@darklight79 regardless, even if it was 8-10 minutes the amount of calories difference would be minimal. personally i just prefer slow and steady, not much one for HIIT.
Post 16 IP   flag post
craig private msg quote post Address this user
Prowler push/pull way more fun than the treadmill. Did tabata sprints too (phone app tabata timer) and I could never actually finish the 8 reps of short all out sprints
Post 17 IP   flag post
oceanair private msg quote post Address this user
honestly, just find whatever form of cardio you enjoy and can be consistent with.
Post 18 IP   flag post
340615 18 18
destitute