Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
ChestShoulders

DIPPING DEEP - CERT FOR SHOULDER SNAPPAGE???15402

ShreddedSumo private msg quote post Address this user
We all know going slightly deeper in to our dips targets the pectoral more... but there's deep and then there's bal*s deep!! What do yal thing about dipping deep for chest? or is it best to just stick to the 90 degree elbow and not go below that?? which mainly hits your triceps and a 'bit' of chest...

Anyone had any snap action when doing dips???
Post 1 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
What I've gathered from talking to people about dips is some people are meant to do them, some aren't. Some people just find them really uncomfortable. I love them, and I go deep. I don't have them in my current routine, but I miss them now haha.

Snap action? Don't think so.
Post 2 IP   flag post
yes I am the same I love them, one of my favourite exercises but so many people saying to me about going too deep but like you it doesn't give me any trouble or shoulder pain though I am constantly hearing that over time my shoulders will be shot and wrecked.... of course I don't listen and continue to go bal*s deep with the dips lol
Post 3 IP   flag post
I've never had any problems with my shoulders from dips. Maybe someone else will have more input, but like I said, some people do them and they say their collar bone and shoulders hurt like hell. But for me, it feels like any other pressing movement.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
From what ive read on the subject any deeper than your upper arm being parallel with the floor can be detrimental to your shoulders health.
Post 5 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Going deep may not bother you acutely, but you're just asking for chronic problems. And contrary to popular belief, deeper dips are not "better" for chest development. -3X
Post 6 IP   flag post
yes I see what you mean... will maybe try leaning forward a bit more and just not going quite so deep
Post 7 IP   flag post
@eknight What would cause chronic problems with dips vs, say, decline bench? What chronic problems?
Post 8 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
With decline presses, the bottom of the range of motion positions the shoulder in extension only as far as the bar touching the chest allows. With dips, this isn't the case, so there's constant wear and tear on the rotator cuff as the head of the humerus translates inferiorly and anteriorly. The deeper the dip, the greater the stress. Going too deep causes more stress than the shoulder can handle, without added benefit. Like most rotator cuff pathologies, you don't feel anything until it's too late.

Edit to add a piece from the ACE:

"Unlike the hip joint, the shoulder joint is not a true ball-and-socket joint; in fact, it is more analogous to a golf ball sitting upon a tee. Subsequently, while highly mobile, this joint generally lacks the stability offered by the surrounding bones and relies more upon the active structures (muscles) and passive structures (joint capsule, ligaments, etc.) for stability, thus rendering it more prone to injury. Exercises like the bench press and dips, for example, create compression within the joint capsule, increasing shear forces and impingement of nerve endings. Dips also push the glenohumeral joint beyond the normal anatomical range of shoulder extension, stretching the joint capsule and reducing its ability stabilize and produce force, again rendering it more prone to injury. Additionally, as the humerus extends during the lowering phase of the exercise it internally rotates, adding to the potential for impingement, while also forcing a rounding of the shoulders that compromises stability within the entire scapulothoracic region." -3X
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
With decline presses, the bottom of the range of motion positions the shoulder in extension only as far as the bar touching the chest allows. With dips, this isn't the case, so there's constant wear and tear on the rotator cuff as the head of the humerus translates inferiorly and anteriorly. The deeper the dip, the greater the stress. Going too deep causes more stress than the shoulder can handle, without added benefit. Like most rotator cuff pathologies, you don't feel anything until it's too late.

Edit to add a piece from the ACE:

"Unlike the hip joint, the shoulder joint is not a true ball-and-socket joint; in fact, it is more analogous to a golf ball sitting upon a tee. Subsequently, while highly mobile, this joint generally lacks the stability offered by the surrounding bones and relies more upon the active structures (muscles) and passive structures (joint capsule, ligaments, etc.) for stability, thus rendering it more prone to injury. Exercises like the bench press and dips, for example, create compression within the joint capsule, increasing shear forces and impingement of nerve endings. Dips also push the glenohumeral joint beyond the normal anatomical range of shoulder extension, stretching the joint capsule and reducing its ability stabilize and produce force, again rendering it more prone to injury. Additionally, as the humerus extends during the lowering phase of the exercise it internally rotates, adding to the potential for impingement, while also forcing a rounding of the shoulders that compromises stability within the entire scapulothoracic region." -3X

Does changing the angle/depth make a big difference, or do you think the movement in general would cause problems?
Post 10 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
As long as you're not going deeper than arms parallel to the floor, you should be fine. That stays within the shoulder's normal 60 degrees of extension ROM. -3X
Post 11 IP   flag post
Great info eknight! I understand fully now thanks !!
Post 12 IP   flag post
340624 12 12
destitute