Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Ask Me AnythingDiet AdviceSplit Advice

S.S(eknight) questions thread15373

DEXchidera private msg quote post Address this user
OK so everyone wants to pick ek's brain. We are all here to learn and he is one of the most(though not the only) knowledgeable guys here. So why not start a questions thread where can all ask each other questions, everyone can contribute. With that said, let me just get the ball rolling
What level of strength can a natural expect to get to? On one hand Casey Butt's maximum strength predictions give some pretty grim expectations and on the other hand: mark henry... Claims he is natural and has squatted and dead lifted over 900lbs as well clean and jerking over 500 lbs, so I'm curious to know, how strong can someone get naturally
Post 1 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
hahaha... in for this.
Post 2 IP   flag post
NaturalBrawn private msg quote post Address this user

This video is a good at looking at this subject.
Post 3 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
@DEXchidera I've known Mark for years, back when I first got into powerlifting. He spoke at two of the meets I did and a mutual friend who used to wrestle in the WWE introduced us. Mark isn't normal. You can't apply any of the "regular" strength standards calculators to him. He's the strength equivalent of Michael Jordan, Carl Lewis, and Babe Ruth all rolled into one. As a teenager he was squatting and deadlifting over 800 pounds. I'm 100% convinced he's natural, too. He won gold, silver or bronze (or all three) at multiple international weightlifting event when he was training for the Olympics in the early 1990s. IMO, the drug testing for those kinds of events is just too hard to beat multiple times. The guy is just a freak athlete. Just me, but I personally believe he's the greatest power athlete of all time. Just consider:

* all-time raw drug tested world record squat- a record that he set in 1995 and hasn't been broken 953.5 pounds
* all-time raw drug tested world record deadlift- a record that he set in 1995 and hasn't been broken 903.9 pounds
*all-time raw drug tested world record total- a record that he set in 1995 and hasn't been broken 2336.9 pounds
* Best snatch: 396.8 pounds (1996 U.S. Nationals)
* Clean & jerk: 485.0 pounds (1996 U.S. Nationals)
* Weightlifting total: 881.8 pounds (1996 U.S. Nationals)

Just a freak. -3X
Post 4 IP   flag post
Jesus. 800 lbs as a teenager.. Crazy. So I guess its safe to say that not many naturals will ever dead lift over 700lbs(if that) or squat over 600
Post 5 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I wouldn't say that at all. There are a few guys now at or close to a 600 pound squat. A very well-known natural squatted 650 at the USAPL raw nationals recently. I don't want to get into a whole, "who's natural and who's not," debate here, but it's not that uncommon. Going over 800 for either or both is another matter. -3X
Post 6 IP   flag post
NaturalBrawn private msg quote post Address this user

750lbs natural
Post 7 IP   flag post
WinnersNeverQuit private msg quote post Address this user
@DEXchidera I wouldn't say that for one second, it's not hard to gain strength, look on here at rorh, nor, ek(genetic freak admittedly) grizzly and trev, since starting on a PL routine all their lifts have flown up. Shit I'm aiming for 660 deadlift and squat 600 withing the next 8 months, and fuck, I'm just a teenager. I genuinely think that if you eat and training properly you stand a good chance of hitting good numbers. Not saying If everyone put their heart and soul Into it they would be elite, that's never going ti happen.

But I think many people short change themselves by resigning to the thought that "oh such and such is a genetic frea, I'll never be that good", instead of thinking, "I "may" never get there but I'll be dammed if I don't try my hardest"
Post 8 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Very well said. -3X
Post 9 IP   flag post
TimmothyGen private msg quote post Address this user
Matt Ogus is a very strong dude. Now natural? debatable only he knows but I think he is .
Almost to 600 deadlift
This is his off season he bulking weighing in at about 188 in this video i think.
P.S. his OHP is CRAZY Jeez
Post 10 IP   flag post
Jelet private msg quote post Address this user
you all know me for the juicer vs natty callout type of person. but i dont think you can go by strength to call someone natty or not as a natural. strength is something that is up to the cns/individual.
i have alot of natural friends who are strong as hell. especially for their bodyweight. you wouldnt know it by looking at them. my roommate squats 3 plates ATG at 135lbs. (hes 5 foot 5) and i have another natural friend who is 160lbs 5 foot 9 and deadlifts 550lbs. cant go by strength to tell whos natty and whos not imo.
but great thread to be able to pick eknights brain :-)

in dis this bitch.jpeg
Post 11 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I'll continue to try and answer the things I know. It'll cut down on my PMs and probably only take a couple of questions before someone asks something that I don't have clue #1 about, thus disappointing you all and causing me to leave SS in shame. -3X
Post 12 IP   flag post
_RudeCrew private msg quote post Address this user
EK! How does one acquire such a shiny head????
Post 13 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnersNeverQuit
@DEXchidera I wouldn't say that for one second, it's not hard to gain strength, look on here at rorh, nor, ek(genetic freak admittedly) grizzly and trev, since starting on a PL routine all their lifts have flown up. Shit I'm aiming for 660 deadlift and squat 600 withing the next 8 months, and fuck, I'm just a teenager. I genuinely think that if you eat and training properly you stand a good chance of hitting good numbers. Not saying If everyone put their heart and soul Into it they would be elite, that's never going ti happen.

But I think many people short change themselves by resigning to the thought that "oh such and such is a genetic frea, I'll never be that good", instead of thinking, "I "may" never get there but I'll be dammed if I don't try my hardest"

This was beautiful. Almost cried. But then I remembered I'm an alpha. And alphas don't cry.
Post 14 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
@_RudeCrew I polish it with the blood of my enemies. -3X
Post 15 IP   flag post
kickinchicken private msg quote post Address this user
I was going to say IN before @Jelet has some stupid shit to say but I'm a bit too late.

Def down for a pick yr brain @EK thread though.
Post 16 IP   flag post
brian12 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmothyGen
Matt Ogus is a very strong dude. Now natural? debatable only he knows but I think he is .
Almost to 600 deadlift
This is his off season he bulking weighing in at about 188 in this video i think.
P.S. his OHP is CRAZY Jeez

Yeah - he has an incredible OHP!
Post 17 IP   flag post
OK just woke up and I'm very glad to see some of the really insightful(and funny) replies here. @winnersneverquit that was a really cool post, man. @eknight I doubt there is anything you don't have at least a vague idea about.

Next question: does one need to get really fat and pot bellied to have a great squat and bench? I have heard it said, something about a'strong base'.. I want to be able to put up some crazy numbers but i know i couldnt get fat even if i wanted to. I have a very small waist and i want to know if that will limit my strength potential
Post 18 IP   flag post
jonrivs49 private msg quote post Address this user
We cannot change how your muscle looks because its genetics. How about for strength? is there a genetic limitation for strength. Natural lifter.
Post 19 IP   flag post
WinnersNeverQuit private msg quote post Address this user
@DEXchidera some people's joints ssimply cannot handle the loads others can, not saying that is your case, though that Is where genetics can be a limiting factor in how much someone can lift, likewise limb length and thus leverages. However, no, you do not need to get fat to be strong, look up Jesse Norris, Dan green, Andrey Belyeav and so on. I think you have misinterpreted the concept of a strong base.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
@DEXchidera some people's joints ssimply cannot handle the loads others can, not saying that is your case, though that Is where genetics can be a limiting factor in how much someone can lift, likewise limb length and thus leverages. However, no, you do not need to get fat to be strong, look up Jesse Norris, Dan green, Andrey Belyeav and so on. I think you have misinterpreted the concept of a strong base.

Explain it to me better, I just started reading up powerlifting recently so..
Also I suppose there is no way of knowing if your joints can tolerate heavy weight until you try?
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrivs49
We cannot change how your muscle because its genetics. How about for strength? is there a genetic limitation for
strength. Natural lifter.

Yeah there is. Thats what we have been discussing throughout this thread...
Post 22 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Im honoured to be mentioned in the same breath as the other guys.

Cheers Winners
Post 23 IP   flag post
TimmothyGen private msg quote post Address this user
Question.
As the youngest forum user of SS I have this question. I know bone structure cannot be changed etc. But being young your bones are growing but the thing im confused about is the maturity. You guys are a LOT older than me and your body sort of stopped growing bones etc. Is the only thing i can do is just build mass? Like i know this sounds confusing but bear with me. All i can do is build mass and get bigger while letting my body grow?
LET ME IN EKNIGHT LET ME IN YOUR MIND O.o
Post 24 IP   flag post
Kansas___Boyyyyy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmothyGen
Question.
As the youngest forum user of SS I have this question. I know bone structure cannot be changed etc. But being young your bones are growing but the thing im confused about is the maturity. You guys are a LOT older than me and your body sort of stopped growing bones etc. Is the only thing i can do is just build mass? Like i know this sounds confusing but bear with me. All i can do is build mass and get bigger while letting my body grow?
LET ME IN EKNIGHT LET ME IN YOUR MIND O.o

Post 25 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
@DEXchidera- @WinnersNeverQuit did a great job of answering the question about being fat to be strong. As far as how much your joints can handle, joint capsule integrity and amount of load that a person can handle is pretty individual specific once you start to get to top-end lifting. It's not something that I'm familiar with any research on, so keep adding weight and try not to get caught up too much in that particular detail. If it helps to inspire, Tony Conyers has a drug free raw S/B/D/T of 455/370/606/1431....at 148 pounds. He's also squatted a raw 550 at the 165s.

@jonrivs49 of course there' a genetic limitation for strength, but as of yet, we don't know what that limit is down to a measurable number. There are some strength standards for various lifts that give you an idea of what the top end numbers are currently accepted as. Those can be found here: http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html

@TimmothyGen I don't understand what it is you're asking. Can you rephrase? -3X
Post 26 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
There are some strength standards for various lifts that give you an idea of what the top end numbers are currently accepted as. Those can be found here: http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html

Glad, proud, to find myself comfortably in the "Advanced" column for the big 3 and press!
Post 27 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemuscular
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
There are some strength standards for various lifts that give you an idea of what the top end numbers are currently accepted as. Those can be found here: http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html

Glad, proud, to find myself comfortably in the "Advanced" column for the big 3 and press!

Advanced in everything except bench - SHOCK.

Will be there soon enough!

Very happy with that cknsidering 6 months ago wheb i checked that i was intermediate at everything haha
Post 28 IP   flag post
Cannonball private msg quote post Address this user
i like the strstd.com standards, mostly because you get nice bars.
Post 29 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Many, many years ago, I was in the "elite" class for bench press.

For the 319 weight class. -3X
Post 30 IP   flag post
340617 500 30
destitute