Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
IntroductionNewbieSplit Advice

Hello, please help me out15358

getmynameright private msg quote post Address this user
Hey guys, new here.

I am a beginner who went yesterday to a gym for the first time and was so puzzled on what to do when one of the trainers there approached me.

He is super jacked and told me that he saw that I am new and he would help me out and he said two things: That he can't spend time on me as he has his own paid clients but he told me that what I would do here won't matter if I don't eat right so he wrote on a piece of paper a link which took my to some sites which contained information for macros and total calories and how to compose my own diet. I have got to admit pretty interesting stuff.

He also wrote me a routine. So, this is what he wrote me:

Day 1: Chest, Triceps.

Flat bench press: 5x6-10
Incline bench press: 5x6-10
Dumbbell flies: 4x6-10
Dips for chest:5x6-10

Triceps pressdown 4x6-10
Skullcrushers 4x6-10
Rope pressdowns 4x-6-10

Day2: Back and biceps

Deadlift 5x6-10
Barbell rows 5x6-10
One-arm dumbbell rows 5x-10
Lat pulldowns with long bar 4x6-10
Lat pulldowns with v-bar 4x6-10
Seated Rows 4x6-10
Straight arm lat pressdowns 4x6-10

Ez-bar curls 4x-6-10
Hammer curls 4x6-10
concentration curls 4x6-10

Day3 : Shoulders and Legs

Barbell Squats 5x6-10
Leg press 5x6-10
Leg extensions 4x8-12
Hamstring curls 4x8-12
Seated calf raises 4x10-15

Shoulder press 5x6-10
Side lateral raises 4x6-10
Front raises 4x6-10
Rear delt flies

and 1-2 sets of light Facepulls for shoulder health.

His notes are the following: Do day 1 2 3 consecutively and take a day off and start again; Start with only compound movements ( I googled it and bench presses; shoulder press; deadlifts; leg presses; squats are those, right ?) and then add the isolation work gradually. When you can do 8-10 clean chins, substitute both lat pulldowns for 5 sets of bodyweight chins. Focus on form on all of the exercise and start with the bar.

He was really nice to me and he gave me this for free but after doing some reading I don't know what to think, but I also don't want to spit in his face.

Btw, my goal is looks oriented, I want the aesthetic part of bodybuilding.
What do you guys think ? Thanks
Post 1 IP   flag post
imcca001 private msg quote post Address this user
Hey
You are in luck. I wrote a series of article on this last month. The title is looking sexier the ground floor. However, you could replace "looking sexier" with "looking aesthetic". They are basically the same thing. If you need nutrition advice as well let me know. I have a bunch of relevant training plans for all levels. As a beginner you really can mess up and still make progress. However, its better to have a solid plan that will take you through the intermediate and advanced levels. Anyway, hope this helps.

http://everythingweknowsofar.com/2014/09/28/looking-sexier-the-ground-level-part-1/
Post 2 IP   flag post
lolssons private msg quote post Address this user
READ THE FAQ
http://forum.simplyshredded.com/topic/13958/simply-shredded-faq/
Post 3 IP   flag post
Are the fullbody 3x a week programs necessary ?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Bartek private msg quote post Address this user
You are beginner and he gave you deadlifts, squats and other compound excercises? Run away from this coach, seriously. Do fbw, learn how to do excercises properly and then switch to the most advanced routine. Do not forget also about diet.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartek
You are beginner and he gave you deadlifts, squats and other compound excercises? Run away from this coach, seriously. Do fbw, learn how to do excercises properly and then switch to the most advanced routine. Do not forget also about diet.

Wut ?! Aren't beginners supposed to stick to those lol ?
Post 6 IP   flag post
TimmothyGen private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Are you troling?
If you look at the FAQ GetmyNameRight there are a list of beginner programs such as 5x5 ICF that are made up of all those compound movements. I did ICF and it was great. Yes Diet is important your coach was right about that.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmothyGen
Quote:

Are you troling? If you look at the FAQ GetmyNameRight there are a list of beginner programs such as 5x5 ICF that are made up of all those compound movements. I did ICF and it was great. Yes Diet is important your coach was right about that.

How about the routine ? This is like a PPL but the shoulders thrown on leg day
Post 8 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Terrible advice.

@getmynameright The routine that trainer gave you seems fine, but like he said, start with the compound lifts and get used to it, learn proper form, then figure out how to add accessories.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I am doing PPL and I don't really like to do shoulders on my push day too I throw them on my legs too :P. Sounds good man and stay on top of your diet and it will be smooth!
Post 10 IP   flag post
So, this is not a bad routine for a 3 days on; one off ? I know that most of the people would say 3x a week full-body but this routine is like 70 percent compounds ? It is a lot of volume for a beginner but if I start with the compounds only and add isos as I get used to being 6x a week in the gym ( not that I don't want to)

So this routine is actually good for my specific goal and won't result in a physique imbalance; no-gains at all and a time-waster ? (provided that my diet is in check)
Post 11 IP   flag post
Well you can have 2 days on and 1 day off or 3 on 1 off its really up to you and how you respond to it. Im only speaking from my own experience and how I reacted to it. If your diet is in check and you are eating enough then yes it will be good. For the amount of volume for a beginner it is all up to you and how your preference that's how I respond to it. ^.^
Post 12 IP   flag post
swollenscott private msg quote post Address this user
That's too much volume.
Post 13 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
In terms of specific imbalances, your leg day is a little quad heavy. I'd add another knee flexion (hamstring) movement. I agree with the above that the volume is high for a beginner. I also don't know how anyone can train legs and shoulders on the same day and give adequate quality work to both. Why not just run PPL? -3X
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
In terms of specific imbalances, your leg day is a little quad heavy. I'd add another knee flexion (hamstring) movement. I agree with the above that the volume is high for a beginner. I also don't know how anyone can train legs and shoulders on the same day and give adequate quality work to both. Why not just run PPL? -3X

Because I don't feel right doing shoulders; chest and tris on the same day. I just don't feel okay when I do just 2 exercises for them - because not going above 2-3 exercises for them is a must if I don't want to do more than 10 exercises a session which would be counter productive if I do 4 exercises for chest then 3 for shoulders and then 3 for triceps for instance, no ?

I don't know what is the deal here man, I just get pissed off. Everyone telling me 3x a week fullbody; Having 3 muscle groups on push day annoying me and makimg me think one of those groups would suffer. And now this routine having flaws, which I expected though. SIGH
Post 15 IP   flag post
Errr I think what Eknight is saying is Legs if your working them hard it would be hard to put focus on shoulders after a leg workout or shoulders then legs. For program wise why don't you follow a simple PPl, things can't just be given to you. You have to go out and try them see how you react and work really.
Post 16 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Why would that be counterproductive? Either way, you don't need more than 3 exercises for chest, 2 for anterior delts, and 2 for triceps. Quality, not quantity.

And if you think shoulders will suffer doing them on chest and tris day, what do you think is going to happen on leg day, when you have worked HALF of your entire body? -3X
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Why would that be counterproductive? Either way, you don't need more than 3 exercises for chest, 2 for anterior delts, and 2 for triceps. Quality, not quantity.

And if you think shoulders will suffer doing them on chest and tris day, what do you think is going to happen on leg day, when you have worked HALF of your entire body? -3X

Taking the thing about exercises you said aside, let's say I do a ppl where there are like 4 for chest ; 3 for triceps ; and 2-3 for delts. By counterproductive I mean isn't 10 exercises a session still a ridiculous amount of volume and may lead to something lagging since I am doing like 4 exercises in a row for chest then shoulders then triceps.

Recommend me a very nice PPL rouine for my goals so I can see more clearly what you are talking about.
Post 18 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Push day:
Flat press: 5x5
DB press: 3x8-12
Dips: 3x8-12
OHP: 3x8-12
Lateral Raises: 3x12
Triceps pushdown: 3x8-12
Rolling DB extensions: 3x8-12

Pull day:
Barbell Rows: 5x5
Chins: 5 x failure
DB rows: 4x8-12
Rear delt flyes or facepulls: 4x8-12
DB curls: 4x8-12

Legs:
Box jumps: 2x10
Squats: 5x5
Lunges: 3x8-12
Glute-Ham raise: 4x8
Lying leg curls: 4x8-12

Core done every third workout: planks 3 sets for time, superman 3x10, ab wheel or crunches 3x10.

Done. Simple. Effective.

Now what the heck does this mean???
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmynameright
and may lead to something lagging since I am doing like 4 exercises in a row for chest then shoulders then triceps.

-3X
Post 19 IP   flag post
For example, Doing the chest push as you showed me: Bench; Incline; Dips; and for instance an outer chest exercise ( flies) (lol I have no idea what I am talking about) then 2-3 exercises for shoulders and 3 for triceps

Doing them in the order flat bench-incline-dips-flies-shoulder1-shoulder2-shoulder3-tris1-tris2-tris3 leading training shoulders and triceps with too much fatigue from chest ?

Btw, no deadlift ? Not that I love it, I still need to get form down, but lower back development without deads ? Maybe if turn out not to be a fan of deads, hyperextensions as a substitude or ? (still puzzled hard)
Post 20 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
There's no such thing as the outer chest, and there certainly aren't any exercises that can work it more. That's why I set up the exercises as I did- all compound and no, you aren't going to fatigue the pecs too much.

Re. deads you can run squats for 6 weeks then sub deads, but you're getting more work for your erector spinae and multifidus from the core routine I listed. -3X
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
There's no such thing as the outer chest, and there certainly aren't any exercises that can work it more. That's why I set up the exercises as I did- all compound and no, you aren't going to fatigue the pecs too much.

Re. deads you can run squats for 6 weeks then sub deads, but you're getting more work for your erector spinae and multifidus from the core routine I listed. -3X

I was actually talking about after doing chest with the compounds you listed, I would be fatigued to train TWO more groups after that. No such thing ?

Is the rep range 5x5 a must or is it not an exact science ? Will 6-12 be as good ?
Post 22 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
No, you're not going to be too fatigued to complete the added movements.

Once you have your form down, I'd shoot for 5x5 for the exercises listed so you can gain some strength as well as size. -3X
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
No, you're not going to be too fatigued to complete the added movements.

Once you have your form down, I'd shoot for 5x5 for the exercises listed so you can gain some strength as well as size. -3X

By the way, how does one know if something is not right with diet or training ? If keep adding weight to the bar on all exercises that means that I will grow no matter what ?
Post 24 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Seriously- read the FAQ thread. -3X
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Ok, will do.

But, I should run the routine you just gave me for my goals, right ?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Si
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:

eknight, did push day today, it actually felt nice, there is only one problem:

I thought I could do dips and I failed today,then although it wasn't push day I got a feeling that I couldn't do chins, tried one set and couldn't.

My gym has an assisted dip and chin machine ? Do it on the machine until I can get the prescribed set and rep range with my bodyweight ( and someday weighted :P ) or ?
Post 28 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
That's fine. We all start somewhere. For what it's worth, I actually think that as a beginner, you're best option is to use a full body routine three times a week for a month or so. -3X
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
That's fine. We all start somewhere. For what it's worth, I actually think that as a beginner, you're best option is to use a full body routine three times a week for a month or so. -3X

True, but I already started the one you gave me ? Start something and stick to it ?
Post 30 IP   flag post
340740 34 30
destitute