Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Split Advice

Do you pass Rippletoe's PT Test?15335

McQueef private msg quote post Address this user
Here's a cool interview where Rippletoe discusses the current state of military fitness:

clickable text

For the TL;DR crowd, he states you should be able to perform the following:

* Double bodyweight deadlift
* Standing Overhead Press with 75% of bodyweight on the bar.
* Chin-ups-12 minimum
* 400 meters in 75 seconds or less.
Post 1 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
Yes
Yes
Yes
not sure - Haven't ran in many moons but probably yes, cause I've always been pretty fast.
Post 2 IP   flag post
ajm87 private msg quote post Address this user
Of course.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Bucky private msg quote post Address this user
yep, got em all.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I'm curious to see how quickly I'd be able to run a 400m.

I thought Ripp's insights were pretty interesting.

I also wonder how many women would be able to meet these proposed requirements.. I know a handful of girls who serve, and I don't get the impression that they'd be able to do any of the first three requirements. With proper training, it can certainly be done, but that's pretty tough!
Post 5 IP   flag post
@McQueef But it's by bodyweight, so it's all relative. If a women weighs 120lb that's just a 240lb deadlift and a 95lb OHP. I don't think that's too far fetched.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
Yes id pass them all.

Havent ran in a while but done 13secs for the 100m sprint in my rugby days, so dont see 400m in 75secs being too difficult even in my fat state at the moment.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Tritons private msg quote post Address this user
Could not do chin-ups, my pull ups/chin ups are just awfull.
Post 8 IP   flag post
hollyhopeful5678 private msg quote post Address this user
No, no, no, no. Not even close.

Man, I am a total wannabe! Maybe I should be trolling sites about kittens and knitting instead...
Post 9 IP   flag post
kickinchicken private msg quote post Address this user
All easy.

Riptoe makes good points. The Military knows strength is vastly important. Theres a lot to consider though for a fitness test. Such as... I partly agree that if a fat body is strong and fast enough to pass the fitness test than he could be considered fit. But on the other hand, he is still fat. Which means the soldier does not look professional. Also, if a guy weighs 250 pounds than the 165 pound guy next to him has to drag his fat ass if he gets hurt in combat. Even if the 165 pounder can pass the fitness test it can be a struggle. Also, the military exercises 5 days a week at pretty much the same time every day. Can you imagine waiting for a barbell or pull up bar behind 4000 people? There isn't space or money for the equipment even if the governments budget wasn't so tight. Although to combat this issue commands have been approved minimal funds for kettle bells. But have you ever heard Dave Tate say kettle bell goblet squats were his primary exercise? And when it comes down to it its all about money. Most of which is spent paying medical bills for life on soldiers with bad backs, knees, and shoulders. And 90% are not combat related in any shape or form. So the concern is not on making strong soldiers, it's on making mobile soldiers who don't break every time they twist funny. So getting stronger is up to the individual. And 99% of the military has never attempted a barbell squat or deadlift let alone perform them correctly. and most females can't do a single pull up. And only a very small majority of the military will ever have to perform any strenuous activities under load in their specific profession.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@kickinchicken was hoping you'd respond. Nice post
Post 11 IP   flag post
Cannonball private msg quote post Address this user
U.S. military budget is tight? ??

??????????????????????

??
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball
U.S. military budget is tight? ??

??????????????????????

??

Yeah man. It's only 750+ billion. Down 100 billion in the past 4 years.
Post 13 IP   flag post
kickinchicken private msg quote post Address this user
They did bring back the master fitness course though. Huge plus. The material in the course covers pretty much all testable subjects for national certifications. Everything from proper form and A&P, to kineseology, types of energy systems and program development. I was helping someone review for the NASM exam a couple weeks ago and I was happily surprised how much I knew already. If the Army can produce enough MFTs to actually individually train soldiers than that would be awesome.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Umirinmegainzmate private msg quote post Address this user
I believe in this because i am in the military and i get to see chiefs and master chiefs be fat as hell and never do anything physically demanding and they get by weight standards because they have huge necks and they use that to gauge your bf relativity. But then again not all jobs in the military are required to be physcially demanding, combat positions and positions that assist them should be held to these expectations, all others should not.
Post 15 IP   flag post
TimmothyGen private msg quote post Address this user
Not Even Once For Me.
Post 16 IP   flag post
bslo private msg quote post Address this user
The army physical fitness test is a joke and the sad thing is alot people fail it still. Recently they have been more vigilent on booting people right away that dont meet standards though. That being said all the post gyms I have been to are great and are packed with a bunch of military meatheads around 0600-0900 and 1700-1900.
Post 17 IP   flag post
cardinal private msg quote post Address this user
Yup but I benefit from being a light body weight. Actually surprised 75% of your bodyweight for OHP is considered good given I always considered it by far my weakest lift always. Not advanced on OHP in years. Gave up caring a long time ago..
Post 18 IP   flag post
340609 18 18
destitute