Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
IntroductionSplit Advice

Im starting a new routine what do you think>15315

DiLawn private msg quote post Address this user
So i've been working out for probably 4 years and this past year is when i've really been taking it seriously and I just decided to change my routine next week until the end of the year. let me know what you think!

Day 1
Chest/Back Arnolds workout

Warmup bench 20-30 reps
Barbell bench superset with Wide Grip Pull ups
4 X 12,10,8,6 * 4X Failure

Incline Bench superset with T Bar
4 x 15,12,10,8 * 4 x 15,12,10,8

Flat bench fly superset with Bent over row
4 x 15,12,10,10 * 4 x 15,12,10,10

Dips superset with Chin ups
4 x Failure * 4 X Failure

Pullovers
4 x 15-20

Day 2
Quads/Calves

Squats 5x20,15,12,10,20

Leg Extension 5x20,15,12,10,20

Seated Calf raise 5x50,40,30,20,40

Leg Press 5x15,12,10,12,15

Leg press Calves 5X40,30,20,30,20

Lunges 4x20 meters

Day 3
Shoulders

Seated dumbbell shoulder press
4x15,12,10,8

Lat Flies
4X50,15,50,10

Arnold Press
4x15,12,10,8

Front Raises
4x12,10,8,40

Barbell Shrug
4x40,20,10,40-50

Dumbbell shrug
4x10-20

Rear delt rows
4x12,10,8,10

Rotator cuff
4x12,10,8,12

Day 4
Arms/Abs

Tricep pushdown
4x10,8,6,8

Wide grip EZ bar curls
4x15,12,10,8

Skull Crushers
5x12,10,8,6,10

Close Grip EZ Bar Curls
4x15,12,10,8

Hanging Leg raises
4x Failure

Bench Dips
4x10,8,6,10

Incline Bench curls
4x10,8,6,15

Laying Leg raises
4xFailure

Day 5
Hamstrings/Calves

Deadlift
4x15,10,8,6

Romanian Deadlift
4x20,15,10,15

Standing Calves
4x40,30,20,30

Laying Leg Curls
5x20,15,10,8,15

Seated Calves
5x50,40,30,20,40

Seated Leg curl
5x20,15,10,8,15

Day 6
Hiit every other week
Post 1 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
Honestly, looks like u got this from a bodybuilding magazine. Optimally i'd be doing a split that allows you to hit each muscle group twice weekly.
U do the same amount of sets for shoulders as for back... back is about 5times the size of shoudlers.
I cant even get started on the rep ranges which are all over the place mate.
Post 2 IP   flag post
@FiremanSi I've never read bodybuilding magazine. I hear you about shoulders and back I might change that a little bit. but the rep ranges most of them are pyramids with a drop set
Post 3 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
@DiLawn Mate i've been there where u are right now.. ur more than likely not qualified due to the setup of this program so don't design ur own program...
My suggestion is find a program thats already out there and deisgned by some1 more qualified.
Post 4 IP   flag post
So what else is wrong with it besides having a shoulder day as big as back day? @FiremanSi
Post 5 IP   flag post
Perfidy private msg quote post Address this user
It's just all over the place man. Your leg days are split up which doesn't make sense, you have two huge muscle groups added together which really isn't optimal, regardless of what Arnold did. Your push / pull ratio is also fucked up, but FiremanSi touched on that slightly with you having equal shoulder and back work..

I wouldn't try to make your own routine. I would just stick with a pre made routine.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Splitting your leg day apart makes sense because most people don't get enough attention to their hammies.

@perfidy what do you mean my push/pull ratio is fucked up?
Post 7 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
@DiLawn splitting your legs up isn't something I'd advise because your legs don't work in a vacuum. Very rarely are just your flexors or just your extensors going to be working. They work as a whole unit, so I advise training them as such.

Re. push:pull, the safest rule of thumb for shoulder health is 2:1 pull:push volume. -3X
Post 8 IP   flag post
@eknight so if I switched back to legs on one day, is that all you would change?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Perfidy private msg quote post Address this user
You're going to have to either add a ton of back work, or drop your chest / shoulder push work. So no, that's not all he would change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfidy
I wouldn't try to make your own routine. I would just stick with a pre made routine.
Post 10 IP   flag post
brian12 private msg quote post Address this user
@DiLawn have a look at the FAQ sticky.

i would suggest a 3 day rputin that you continuely rotate. Tjis way you badically get to hit everything one a week if you train 5 days a week.

Most common 3 day routine is a push pull legs (push: chest, shoulders and triceps; pull: back, rear delts and biceps; legs & abs)

AI also run a 3 day split but i do back and shoulders ; legs and abs; chest and arms, rest and repeat.

as for number of and exercise selection and rep ranges, it depends on ur goals. You definitely should not be maki g ur own routine, i can see from what u have layed out that you wont be able to balance it out correctly or design something that allows for progression. Arnold was not natural and he was a genetic elite so dont follow something he suggested. Some great basic routines liked in the FAQ sticky
Post 11 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
So much volume, I would imagine it will be really hard to measure progress.

You're right , a lot of people don't work hams enough, but that doesn't mean you need so many ham sets in one workout. I'd just cut the number of exercises for legs and do it all in one day with a lot of intensity.

I've run supersets with German Volume Training, but that had way fewer exercises and only 2 different workouts. I feel like super setting back and chest, while having a whole day for arms and shoulders, doesn't make sense.
Post 12 IP   flag post
swollenscott private msg quote post Address this user
I'd agree with the above. Push pull legs is great. If you want to stay true to the Golden Age and arnold maybe the then popular
Chest/back
Shoulder/arms
Leg

Or lee Haney
Chest/arms
Back/shoulders
Legs/abs

Might be more your style and allows for more frequency if you keep the sessions to lower volume. However like I said keep it simple and maybe try an already setup balanced plan. Bet of luck
Post 13 IP   flag post
340738 13 13
destitute