Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
ChestSplit AdviceUpper Chest

Why do people do incline presses?15314

Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
So many bodybuilders use the incline bench press as their main chest exercise, why?
I mean, there really is no need to do decline or incline chest work, in declines the clavicular head gets less stimulus, in inclines the sternal head gets less stimulus and in flat chest work the entire chest gets worked equally, so why does so many people that wants bigger pecs spend so much time doing inclines and declines when you get more chest stimulus in flat pressing/flyes? Broscience?
Post 1 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
That would be my guess. There's more carryover to overhead pressing movements as well, though. -3X
Post 2 IP   flag post
Cannonball private msg quote post Address this user
A bigger variance in exercises can trigger more CNS stimulus and add growth response n shit
Post 3 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Hypertrophy is the result of a peripheral, not central, nervous system response. Postactivation potential includes the CNS, but it has nothing to do with exercise variation, it deals with using explosive plyometric-type movements in training to increase strength, not growth. -3X
Post 4 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
Love me some incline bench!
Post 5 IP   flag post
OlympusSculpted private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
Hypertrophy is the result of a peripheral, not central, nervous system response. Postactivation potential includes the CNS, but it has nothing to do with exercise variation, it deals with using explosive plyometric-type movements in training to increase strength, not growth. -3X
@eknight I need your knowledge. On chest day I super set incline with weighted push-ups. When I do incline barbell bench and then go to the push-ups, I find my self fatigued and it's extremely rough to complete them. On the other hand, when I do the incline with dumbbells (same weight as barbell) I find it so much easier to do the push-ups afterwards? Any reasoning to this? Shoulder involvement on the barbell? Thanks
Post 6 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight

-3X
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:

-3X
lol'd

Do you use any of your own material? -3X
Post 8 IP   flag post
the1 private msg quote post Address this user
I know so many people hate on the incline chest presses but for me they've always worked and my chest has always grown from them..
Post 9 IP   flag post
DEXchidera private msg quote post Address this user
To work the upper chest.. Duh
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEXchidera

You work your whole chest in a flat press/flye, i doubt one would see any upper pec development difference between a person who has never done inclines and someone that has.
Here's 3 pics of me, do you think my upper pecs looks underdeveloped?
I've been in the gym a little over 6 years and i only did incline pressing the first 1½-2 years.
Pump in the pic to the left and cold in the other two.

Post 11 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
@Rawsteel You haven't been around long enough. This forum was practically founded on arguments around the "upper chest".

Pretty much all of us know the science of the pec musculature thanks to the argumentative fortitude of @eknight.

However, I still love doing inclines and feel I get a better pump than when I do flat. Not that that necessarily means anything . . .
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawsteel
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEXchidera

You work your whole chest in a flat press/flye, i doubt one would see any upper pec development difference between a person who has never done inclines and someone that has.
Here's 3 pics of me, do you think my upper pecs looks underdeveloped?
I've been in the gym a little over 6 years and i only did incline pressing the first 1½-2 years.
Pump in the pic to the left and cold in the other two.

Was joking bro. Sarcastic reply. We have had this argument over a thousand times in the past (eknight vs swayz) so at this stage, every upper chest thread is a chance to make a joke about it(at least for me) unfortunately nobody ever gets my jokes. Ever.
Post 13 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
@DEXchidera got here too late to add a "lol" but I got the joke
Post 14 IP   flag post
oceanair private msg quote post Address this user
Cuz I can, fool.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemuscular
@Rawsteel You haven't been around long enough. This forum was practically founded on arguments around the "upper chest".

Ah ok, lol:P

I have one question thought, i don't know if its broscience or actually some truth to it so i'll just ask.
The question is, is it good, in an injury perspective, to sometime change pressing angles?
Like doing flat bench for a period of time and then change it to a slight (5-10°) decline or incline for another period of time.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Cannonball private msg quote post Address this user
Decline pressing hurts my soul

please stop
Post 17 IP   flag post
ambitiongainer private msg quote post Address this user
I personally think every muscle group should be hit from multiple angles, if incline didnt work then bodybuilders wouldnt be doing it

arnold always mention that people should do incline bench and most top BB would recommend you to do it, I dnt think that science can explain everything

cause when I do flatbench first I see my upper chest start lagging, so I would recommend doing all 3 in your chest workout days
Post 18 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambitiongainer
I personally think every muscle group should be hit from multiple angles, if incline didnt work then bodybuilders wouldnt be doing it

arnold always mention that people should do incline bench and most top BB would recommend you to do it, I dnt think that science can explain everything

cause when I do flatbench first I see my upper chest start lagging, so I would recommend doing all 3 in your chest workout days

Lol. Arnold, and 90% of he "bodybuilders" you mention don't know a damn thing about anatomy/physiology

I think the reason you see "better gains when doing all three ie flat incline decline" which is what you're eluding to. Is you are effectively tripling your volume on pressing movements.

Too many LOLZ

Science FTW f the haters.

Come at me bro

#NoInclineCrewCheckingIn
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambitiongainer

Alot of professional bodybuilders only train each muscle once a week, does that mean it's better?
The answer is no, especially not when you are on the juice as they are, since they recover much faster.
This is why you should take what professional bodybuilders says with a grain of salt.
Yes, this also includes "physiquesofgreatness", "the hodge twins" and "6 pack shortcuts".

PS, listen to Norlda.
Post 20 IP   flag post
I honestly have never done decline #confessionhour
Post 21 IP   flag post
eventheodds1 private msg quote post Address this user
Eknight still did not answer Olympus's question.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Now im a bit confused, i found this 2 year old post by Eknight

"Incorrect- science doesn't tell us that flat benching recruits more fibers; it tells that inclines recruit more fibers for the entire chest, not just the upper portion.

http://forum.simplyshredded.com/topic/3160/page/1/broscience-vs-science-please-read/"
Post 23 IP   flag post
eventheodds1 private msg quote post Address this user
I miss so many of those members from that post.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlympusSculpted
I honestly have never done decline #confessionhour

Me either.
Post 25 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
@eventheodds1 and he's not going to.

@Rawsteel you cannot selectively work the clavicular head of pec major more by doing inclines. Some EMG studies have shown that increasing the angle of inclination does work the chest as a whole more.

@oceanair your chest development seems fine to me. -3X
Post 26 IP   flag post
@eknight lol thanks 😜
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eventheodds1
I miss so many of those members from that post.

Me too. We have lost many good men
Post 28 IP   flag post
swollenscott private msg quote post Address this user
@rawsteel last time I checked the hodgetwins were doing push/pull/legs/repeat to make them gainzzz haha funny fuckers. Ps love them and Furious Pete for the laughing factor. Eating challenge anyone????

I do flat as my primary chest work and add a few inclines after as accessory work as I'm not a huge fan of overhead pressing given my swimming background. I enjoy inclines regardless of science and that's why I gym for the fun of it
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Some EMG studies have shown that increasing the angle of inclination does work the chest as a whole more.

Well i'll be damned.
Post 30 IP   flag post
340620 49 30
destitute