Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Split Advice

fullbody routine. what do you think?15305

dinuman22 private msg quote post Address this user
whats up!
OK, so ive been told that full body routines are Great routines for beginners and intermediates.

I wanted to get your opinion on this full body routine i've found. Is it good, is it too much volume for a full body routine?

Workout A
-Squat 3x5
-Leg press 2x5
-Bench press 3x5
-Incline db press 2x5
-Bent over row 3x5
-Cable row 2x5
-barbell shrug 3x8
-tricep ext 3x8
-Bicep curl 3x8

Workout B
-Squat 3x5
-Leg press 2x5
-Deadlift 1x5
-Standing press 3x5
-Db shoulder spress 2x5
-10% lighter bb row 3x5
-10% lighter cablle row 2x5
-skull crusher 3x8
-Bicep db curl 3x8

Whats your opinion on this. Is this optimal to build muscle?

Thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
No abs, no calf work, no direct hamstring work. -3X
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
No abs, no calf work, no direct hamstring work. -3X

Abs I'll add a few sets ify have time. Calves I forgot to add but I alternate between standing calf raises and seated calf raises, 3x12-15. And hamstrings get worked from squats, leg press, and deadlift.

But overall is this a good fullbody routine to add mass?
Post 3 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Your hamstrings are not adequately worked with movements that extend the knee. The primary function of the hamstrings is knee flexion. What you have set up above is a routine that will lead to knee problems due to an imbalance in quad-ham strength. Have a read: http://forum.simplyshredded.com/topic/13050/page/1/hamquadkneewut/

So, no, I would not say it's a good fullbody routine. -3X
Post 4 IP   flag post
Ok thanks. I'll add a set of pull throughs, or some hamstring raises.

But do you find any other problems with the program, like the volume, is it too much for building muscle.
Post 5 IP   flag post
What specific hamstring excercise would you recommend me to do? An excercise not to taxing.
Post 6 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Depends on how often you're doing the two days and what kind of nutrition you have. -3X
Post 7 IP   flag post
I'm alternating workout a and b with Monday wednsday and Friday. And I'm in a calorie surplus.

What hamstring excercise do you reccomend?
Post 8 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Glute-ham raises or hamstring curls. Your volume seems fine to me. -3X
Post 9 IP   flag post
Ok cool thanks!
Hey bro are you familiar with the icecreamfitness 5x5 fullbody routine?

Here it is:
http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout
Post 10 IP   flag post
leanr0x private msg quote post Address this user
dont know if 5x5 is great for beginner. if you cant do those exercises without good form the risk to become injured is way too high
Post 11 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I'm not a huge fan of that routine as it's laid out. Not structured for overall functionality in terms of muscle balance. -3X
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
I'm not a huge fan of that routine as it's laid out. Not structured for overall functionality in terms of muscle balance. -3X

Oh really? Which routine would you prefer between these two, the one I listed , or the icf 5x5
Post 13 IP   flag post
hollyhopeful5678 private msg quote post Address this user
EK - I'm currently reading Starting Strength (Mark Rippetoe). As you probably already know, it focuses on major compound lifts - squat, press, deadlifts, bench press and power cleans - for the first few weeks and states not to add other exercises or else select them very, very carefully. If I run this program, would you suggest I add direct hamstring work as one of the very selective additions? Any other additions? I'm interested in this program, but don't want to ignore critical exercises.
Post 14 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
@dinuman22 this is just my opinion, but I'd run ICF with an extra back exercise, leg curls, and planks added in.

@hollyhopeful5678 I would do the same for SS. -3X
Post 15 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
@hollyhopeful5678 I run a similar program at the moment. I think the warning of not adding extra exercises is for super beginners that might already struggle with the volume or get carried away with working out their arms and such. I add ham curls for one workout and extra rows for another.
Post 16 IP   flag post
DiLawn private msg quote post Address this user
I'm with EK hamstrings are pretty essential because the way youre going to hurt yourself would be by over developing you quads while under developing your hammies which increases your risk of pulling a hamstring so defiantly have leg curls in your workout

@dinuman22 I would increase the reps to 8-12 but that's just my opinion.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
@dinuman22 this is just my opinion, but I'd run ICF with an extra back exercise, leg curls, and planks added in.

Yea your right, ICf looks solid.

But do you think it will get boring, and too taxing over time,after constant squatting, and rowing 5x5, three times a week?
Post 18 IP   flag post
DiLawn private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinuman22
Quote:

Yea your right, ICf looks solid.

But do you think it will get boring, and too taxing over time,after constant squatting, and rowing 5x5, three times a week?

Boring? That completely depends on how much you love working out. But doing 15 sets of squats a week is a lot to do so I would bet you'll be tired and sore for a while
Post 19 IP   flag post
I've been going 5x5, squatting 3x a week for about 5 weeks, and I love it. Then again, I never get bored in the gym.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans
I've been going 5x5, squatting 3x a week for about 5 weeks, and I love it. Then again, I never get bored in the gym.

yea...5 weeks. wait a few months, after increasing every workout you'll feel it.
Post 21 IP   flag post
@dinuman22 haha no doubt I'll feel it, that's the point! You'll eventually hit a wall in any routine, just make sure to start light with any 5x5 because of the quick progression. Look up the stronglifts 5x5 site, lots of good info on how to start a 5x5 program and what to do when you plateau.

Just got done running the same program for over 2 years, never got bored. How can you get bored when there are weights to lift?
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans
@dinuman22 haha no doubt I'll feel it, that's the point! You'll eventually hit a wall in any routine, just make sure to start light with any 5x5 because of the quick progression. Look up the stronglifts 5x5 site, lots of good info on how to start a 5x5 program and what to do when you plateau.

Just got done running the same program for over 2 years, never got bored. How can you get bored when there are weights to lift?

HAHAH True!
Post 23 IP   flag post
340609 23 23
destitute