Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Power LiftingSplit Advice

Powerlifting Gyms15280

THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
I've been looking for one within reasonable driving distance from me. Found one but it's all "group training" style. This one does sessions I think on Mon, Wed, Thu, Fri evenings. So it sounds like you don't just go when you want, you go when they're there.

I wonder if most real PL gyms are like that? Anyone go to one regularly?
Post 1 IP   flag post
_RudeCrew private msg quote post Address this user
There is one where I live. It's open 24 hours but most of them train at group times.
Post 2 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
Group training works well.

I started training with a team in Atlanta --- 7AM on Mon & Wed. The time sucks for many reasons but once you get into your sets the atmosphere is awesome.

Perfect spots every time, stronger guys for inspiration, coach there to critique.... it's awesome because you're able to push yourself harder. I get more done in less time.

Two days a week with the team/coach then an extra 1-2 days a week training solo works great because this allows me to get in some extra work on days/time that's convenient.
Post 3 IP   flag post
golago private msg quote post Address this user
@wannabemuscular

got bored from your home gym ?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Rand private msg quote post Address this user
I go to worlds cause its cheap, 10 bucks a month.

I would love the group thing maybe once a week it would be sweet to get advice and motivation from some huge dudes.
Post 5 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
Yah the one I went to a few times is mostly group training. Most show up there at a certain time. But there are a handful that do their own thing there. I work 1030-7 like everyday so their times are usually while I'm at work (6am).
Post 6 IP   flag post
@mikew Great points and exactly why I'm considering it. Part of me thinks I could benefit from the group thing, but I've trained completely alone forever and am hesitant.

@golago Nah. I love my home setup.

This place I'm looking at is owned and operate by Shawna Mendelson and her husband. She's a world record powerlifter. They encourage their members to compete in the local IPA meets and are actually running one this December.

I guess I'll just have to go check it out.
Post 7 IP   flag post
GrizzlyBerg private msg quote post Address this user
@wannabemuscular you going to join Blue Collar Barbell?
Post 8 IP   flag post
@GrizzlyBerg That's it. Do you know it? Or did you just look up Shawna Mendelson?
Post 9 IP   flag post
GrizzlyBerg private msg quote post Address this user
@wannabemuscular Just know it by name. Don't really know anything else about it haha.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@wannabemuscular only reason to hesitate would be if times are inconvenient or price is too high.

Otherwise go for it. Seriously - nothing to lose and lots to gain. Maybe see if there's a meet coming up so you have something train towards.
Post 11 IP   flag post
@mikew Yeah, I'm gonna look more into it. Maybe take a ride over there and check it out in person. Cost will be an issue though. If it's anything over like 60-80 per month I can't justify it.

There actually is a local IPA meet that this gym is promoting in December. Looking at last years numbers I'm not sure I'm close enough to compete. But we'll see . . .
Post 12 IP   flag post
@wannabemuscular the cost is a huge factor for me so I signed up for about 10 weeks. There is a meet here in late October that I signed up for... so I'll get a chance to train specifically for the meet then go back to "normal" after that.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Well, found out today the gym I've been looking at is $100 per month. So, that's out . . .
Post 14 IP   flag post
Danimal_88 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand
I go to worlds cause its cheap, 10 bucks a month.

I would love the group thing maybe once a week it would be sweet to get advice and motivation from some huge dudes.

Same here
Post 15 IP   flag post
340738 15 15
destitute