Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
ShouldersSplit AdviceTraining Programs

Should I add shoulder exercises for lagging15266

r1ch37 private msg quote post Address this user
I have a very common situation (I think) my shoulders are lagging behind and it's quite bad I think. My traps looks humongous compared to my shoulders and to be honest it's just downright annoying me.
So the question is I made this routine and it working fine, but should I add more shoulder exercises for my lagging shoulder and if so which one?

Day 1 - Monday - Push
Bench Press 3x8
incline bench press
Dips 3x8
Military Press 3x8
Side Laterals 3x12
Cable Tricep Extension 2x12
Skullcrusher 2x12

(ABS)Planks 2-3 x (30-60 secs)

Day 2 - Wednesday - Legs
Squat 3x8
Hack squat 3x8
Leg press 2x 12
Glute ham raise 2x12
Romainian deadlift 3x8
Lying leg curl 2x12
standing calf raise 3x12
Calf Raise 3x12

(ABS) Ab rollout 3x10 *Optional

Day 3 - Friday - Pull
Deadlift 3x8
Barbell Row 3x8
Pull Up 3x8
lat pulldown 2x12
T bar row 3x12
face pull 2x12
Dumbbell Curl 2x12
hammer curl 2x12
Farmers walk 3x 60 sec
Post 1 IP   flag post
GrizzlyBerg private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1ch37
My traps looks humongous compared to my shoulders and to be honest it's just downright annoying me.

post a picture
Post 2 IP   flag post
SliqDiqRick private msg quote post Address this user
Personally Ive found that front DB raises work wonders for shoulder development. I also superset them with side laterals. But I also dedicate an entire day of my split to traps and shoulders because in my opinion they are arguably the most important in terms of aesthetics. With your split you could probably afford to throw in more shoulder work on Friday, giving them the whole weekend to recover until the next Monday.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyBerg
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1ch37
My traps looks humongous compared to my shoulders and to be honest it's just downright annoying me.

post a picture

I wish I could but my phone broke last week and I'm walking around with (you guessed it) a nokia 3310, I'm suprised that even works.
But take this in consideration, the owner of my gym (not a common commercial gym) and multiple friend and acquaintance all notice that my traps are big compared to my shoulders
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SliqDiqRick
Personally Ive found that front DB raises work wonders for shoulder development. I also superset them with side laterals. But I also dedicate an entire day of my split to traps and shoulders because in my opinion they are arguably the most important in terms of aesthetics. With your split you could probably afford to throw in more shoulder work on Friday, giving them the whole weekend to recover until the next Monday.

Could you pleas give more example for friday if possible?
Post 5 IP   flag post
SliqDiqRick private msg quote post Address this user
For starters, Id stick to just deadlifts, barbell rows, and pullups (weighted if you can), ending with lat pull downs for back. Cause it looks like you're overtraining your back with that amount of exercises. Maybe add an exercise or increase sets for biceps (preacher curls would fit nicely). Once youre done with your "pull" exercises, my suggestion would be to add:

Seated DB press 3x10

Side-lateral-to-front-raise 3x10
supersetted with lateral raise 3x10

And then some maybe front plate raises (3 sets til failure) if you feel up to it.
Post 6 IP   flag post
_RudeCrew private msg quote post Address this user
@SliqDiqRick he's definitely not overtraining his back. Your back can take the most work out of any other body part. Plus, myself and other members on here work back every workout AND he has to have that much back volume to not destroy his shoulders from all the pressing.
Post 7 IP   flag post
To answer your question, I wouldn't add anything.
Post 8 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
I also wouldn't drop anything; I might actually bump the exercises you have 2 sets for on pull day to 3 sets. The human body was designed to be functional, not aesthetic. Don't compromise one trying to achieve the other- you'll end up with neither. -3X
Post 9 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
Someone complaining about their traps being too big? The fuck? I definitely wouldn't take anything from back day, looks solid to me. The only thing I would do, personally, is drop dips or one of the benches and concentrate on having more energy for shoulders if that's where you're lagging. That would be my preference, but it definitely wouldn't make your shoulders blow up as some might say. The exercises you have for shoulders should be good enough to make them grow.
Post 10 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
Two things:

1)@SliqDiqRick wtf are you, why do you have a ridiculous name, and DYEL

2)@r1ch37 why are you designing a program if you cant decide how much volume is needed where in the first place. I would suggest following a proven routine rather than creating your own.
Post 11 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorIda
Two things:

2)@r1ch37 why are you designing a program if you cant decide how much volume is needed where in the first place. I would suggest following a proven routine rather than creating your own.

^^

Personally I'd drop the laterals and would do more OHP.
Post 12 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Two things:

3X Approved. -3X
Post 13 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
Quote:
Two things:

3X Approved. -3X

Rohr approved
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Two things:

This is the P/P/L routine but I made it with multiple people on this forum and a few personal trainers. The only issue we had at the start was with the amount of volume. I've been using this routine for a while now and it works quite fine.
But as I said beforehand the issue lies within the fact that my traps are huge because I used to carry a lot of heavy things when I was younger and for some reason my traps looks bigger in comparison with my shoulder
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans
Someone complaining about their traps being too big? The fuck? I definitely wouldn't take anything from back day, looks solid to me. The only thing I would do, personally, is drop dips or one of the benches and concentrate on having more energy for shoulders if that's where you're lagging. That would be my preference, but it definitely wouldn't make your shoulders blow up as some might say. The exercises you have for shoulders should be good enough to make them grow.

Here you go man.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
You look like Busta Rhymes
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev182
You look like Busta Rhymes

I hear that a lot XD
Post 18 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
@r1ch37 Haha traps are like calves and forearms for a lot of people, embrace having big ones! Delts will come, just stick with your routine.
Post 19 IP   flag post
That picture made me laugh lol but for real some people certain body parts are just bigger. Like @NorIda, he's big everywhere except inside his pants.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by _RudeCrew
That picture made me laugh lol but for real some people certain body parts are just bigger. Like @NorIda, he's big everywhere except inside his pants.

That explains SOOOO much...
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by _RudeCrew

All right that's all I needed to know, that's why I dropped exercises that really isolates the traps, and now I try to concentrate more on my shoulders, cause they look flat as shit.

Also thanks for confirming that my routine is solid, took some effort to finally make it right
Post 22 IP   flag post
brian12 private msg quote post Address this user
@r1ch37 one suggestion. I would start every second push workout with your shoulder work, then chest work. I would also increase side lateral raise to 5 sets. A lot of guys engage theirvtraps too much with side lat raise, so be carefull of this and possibly up the rep range to 12~15
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian12
lot of guys engage theirvtraps too much with side lat raise, so be carefull of this and possibly up the rep range to 12~15

I'm sorry Brian but could you elaborate a little bit more, what exactly do you mean with every second push workout?
Post 24 IP   flag post
brian12 private msg quote post Address this user
@r1ch37 lets say you do a push workout tomorrow. Start with chest then do ur shoulder work. Next time you do a push workout start with shoulder work then chest. Keep switching between starting with chest and starting with shoulders each push workout.
Post 25 IP   flag post
340752 25 25
destitute