Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Split AdviceTraining Programs

What program next?15165

swollenscott private msg quote post Address this user
Hey guys wondering if I could get some advice. I'm currently doing well on a PPL routine (I have a training log up) and will stick with this for a while to get the full benifits of the program.

Wondering what I should do next?

I've read the FAQ page (which was great and big reps to setting that up). I have also been following many Logs on this Forum with variations of The Cube, Juggernaught, Candito Linear, variations of 5x5 and it has got me thinking that my numbers are rubbish in comparison to most here partly as I've never done any specific strength training. Do you think that dedicating some time to a strength based program would be benificial or would it be better to just cycle my PPL to a lower rep scheme?

Some points to help:

Stats: 6'1. 187 lbs @ 14%
Goals: hypertrophy (compete Men's Physique)
Lifts:
Bench= 220, DB Bench 80sx7
Pullups= 13 BW
Dips= 15 BW
Deadlift= 320
Squat= 10x175 (1 year ago) haven't been doing but going to re-introduce soon. *Issues with mobility, technique and strength. Worked up technique with broom handle and bar, Tx/hip/ankle/shoulder mobility, glut and core strength.
Post 1 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
Lifts still in novice stage... Depending on ur goals I'd run a strength program to boost those numbers so u'll benefit from ur next hyper program thereafter !!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Thanks @FiremanSi. Goals are hypertrophy and to compete. Numbers don't mean much to me. They are more a consequence of training rather than a specific orientated goal.

Was considering PHD4 or cube as I get both. I was alternatively thinking that as I'm enjoying PPL atm and was considering keeping it but running it with a 5x5 to start.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Tritons private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanSi
Lifts still in novice stage... Depending on ur goals I'd run a strength program to boost those numbers so u'll benefit from ur next hyper program thereafter !!

This. And also for strength programs You can apply assisstance work more for hypertrophy.
Post 4 IP   flag post
So what would be the recommended program recommended? PHD4, cube, condito, SS? I like the idea of hitting the major lifts twice a week as I'm weak as piss and I respond better. I like everything about the cube but seems a bit advanced and lower vol higher frequency would be the go?
Post 5 IP   flag post
golagola private msg quote post Address this user
i am doing right now 5/3/1 bbb from t- ntaion i feel very good and love it ! (no result yet for sure but i love it )
Post 6 IP   flag post
@golagola have u seen the bodybuilding variation of this? I was considering it as it hits everything twice a week as a primary and as a speed lift with some accessory Bodybuilder friendly exercises
Post 7 IP   flag post
@swollenscott

http://www.t-nation.com/workouts/boring-but-big-3-month-challenge
Post 8 IP   flag post
@golagola.
Thanks a lot. Do you do it as
5/3/1 squat followed by 5x10 squat or do you do 5/3/1 squat followed by 5x10 deadlift and likewise for bench and overhead press?
Post 9 IP   flag post
I like the example given in the 3 month challenge. Sounds like a winner although maybe add some hamstring curls
Post 10 IP   flag post
@swollenscott

u should buy his book first
anyway i am doing for example :

squat 5/3/1
stifflegged deadlift 5x10
leg extesnion 3x10
calf work
abs work

deadlift 5/3/1
frotn squat 5x10
glute ham raise 3x10
calf work abs work

bench press 5/3/1 (between every push exerscise do some reps of pull up or row for make it 2:1 ratio for pull)(healtyshoulder)
incline press 5x10
lateral raise 3x10. Row or pull up 5x10
curl ....
extension tricep.....
face pull......

shoulder press 5/3/1
bench press 5x10
lateral raise 3x10
and so on as in bench press day

it is going on like that : press/deadlift/rest/bechpress/squat.
u have excel in the internet for how much weight to use every reps on te 5/3/1
i like it this way .
there are alot more tamplet for the assistance work u can choose everything u want .
just dont do phat it is really will give u only size no strengh gain at all too much volum!! 5/3/1 is the way to go in my opinion

good luck bro uare going to have fun !
Post 11 IP   flag post
haole private msg quote post Address this user
You can build strength doing a PPL routine too. I took a quick look at your log and there's some things you can adjust to build strength. I would suggest staying with a PPL routine and lowering the reps to 6-8 and do heavier weight (like a strength routine). I would also start each routine with the big compound lifts so your fresh...ie don't start your pull day with pullups, try doing DB or BB rows (or even your Tbar rows) but make sure you warm up well first. These are things you would do in a strength routine so this would be like a PPL strength routine. Strength routines focus on compound lifts but I'll guarantee you will find yourself adding accessory work. I would actually look up eknights PPL routine as it is more balanced than yours and its more like a power routine.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Thanks @hoale and @golagola.

I think I'll adjust my PPL to that 6-8 rep range and run it till my holiday in 6 weeks and when I get back trying boring but big.
Post 13 IP   flag post
340752 13 13
destitute