Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Bench PressNewbiePHATSplit Advice

Modified Layne Norton Power/Hypertrophy15158

smooge private msg quote post Address this user
Hello,

Since I dont think it is a program but more likely an idea of training, as he himself said, I reduced the volume and came up with a new layout. I wanted try this, because I am doing all Pro and I am bored, I used to workout 6-5 day a week and now doing 3 days a week full body is boring. Was thinking about LPP, however it takes 6 days and I am not sure, if 6 days would be good for me, since in a month or so I am going to a university. Would appriciate your opinions.

Day 1: Upper body power day

. Flat BB press 3x3-5
. Bent over rows 3x3-5
. Seated dumbbell shoulder press 3x6-10
. Weighted pull ups 2x6-10
. Weighted dips 2x6-10
. Cambered bar curls 3x6-10
. Skull crushers 3x6-10

--

Day 2: Lower body power day

. Squats 3x3-5
. Leg extensions 2x6-10
. Stiff-legged deadlifts 3x5-8
. Standing calf raise 3x6-10

--

Day 3: Rest

--

Day 4: Back and Shoulders Hypertrophy Day

. Bent over rows 3x8-12
. chins 3x8-12
. Seated cable rows 3x8-12
. Shrugs 2x12-15
. Close grip pull downs 2x12-15
. Seated dumbbell press 3x8-12
. Side lateral raises 3x12-20

--

Day 4: Lower Body Hypertrophy Day

. Squats 3x8-12
. Leg extension 3x15-20
. Seated leg curls 3x15-20
. calf raise 4x10-15

Day 6: Chest and Arms Hypertrophy Day

. Flat dumbbell press 3x8-12
. Incline dumbbell press 3x8-12
. Incline cable flyes 2x15-20
. preacher curls 3x8-12
. Dumbbell curls 2x12-15
. tricep extension 3x8-12
. Cable pressdowns 2x12-15

--

Day 7: Rest

--

As I mentioned before, I mainly reduced the volume on each day, I have yet to try it out in my gym and see how long each workout takes, if it takes less then an hour I may add it back. Few more things to consider. I really wanted to do Bench press as well and not only DB presses and yes I am aware of that I should start workout with the same exercises on heavy and hyper, however, thus thinking about not doing DB but BB presses all the way. Thats why, I changed Day 1. Also, I greatly reduced leg days. They reason behind that is, I am week on lower body and it always takes longer time to recover if I overdo it in gym - bout 2-4 days. And also I want to do abs at least 3 times a week, I have 2 off day, on one of them I can work Abs but one day I wanna have full off. Meaning I would do abs after legs + one off day.

BTW - LPP = legs/push/pull - was thinking about Coolcicada's Push/Pull/Legs Routine but as i said, it takes 6 days. From a some guys, who compete I read that they did something similar but they did P/P/rest/L/rest/P/P/repeat - meaning just one day of legs. I would not mind it, since legs are not my primary target but I know, they are important to workout since you would look really imbalanced.

PS: if anybody is consered Im 20 years old, been lifting for a year with proper diet, but only on splits, before that I lifted kinda with messy diet just for fun. Due to my high 170cm and my weight 58kg I am strongly newbie, but I really dislike full body workout. My lifts are strong as well B - 60/8x, squad 70x8

What do you think?
Post 1 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Why not just run PPL over 5 days? I've done that and had great results- LPPLPOffOff/PLPPLOffOff/PPLPP/OffOff/etc.

The biggest issue I see with your routine is not enough direct hamstring work to offset your quad work. -3X
Post 2 IP   flag post
Yeah you are right, I should add some hams ex to legs day to balance it
Post 3 IP   flag post
And also, Isnt it too much for me. I dont know if I am beginner or not, I guess I am, I read all that stuff about benching 1.5 your weight atc. But I dont really care about my strenght and I have seen good gains from doing just splits so I am confused.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Ok sorry to spam this forum, but I looked through my modification and foudn few misstakes. I tried to correct it and came up with this:

Day 1: Upper body power day

. Bent over rows 3x3-5
. Weighted pull ups 2x6-10
. Flat BB press 3x3-5
. Weighted dips 2x6-10
. Seated dumbbell shoulder press 3x6-10
. Ez/BB bar curls 3x6-10
. Skull crushers 3x6-10

-- Min - 106 rep.

Day 2: Lower body power day

. Squats 3x3-5
. Leg extensions 2x6-10
. Stiff-legged deadlifts 3x5-8
. Standing calf raise 3x6-10

-- Min - 54 rep.

Day 3: Rest

--

Day 4: Back and Shoulders Hypertrophy Day

. Bent over rows 6 sets of 3 reps with 65-70% of normal 3-5 rep max
. Dumbbell rows 2x12-15
. Seated cable rows 2x8-12
. Close grip pull downs 2x12-15
. Seated dumbbell/military press 3x8-12
. Side lateral raises 3x12-20
. Shrugs 3x12-15

-- Min - 162 rep.

Day 4: Lower Body Hypertrophy Day

. Squats 6 sets of 3 reps with 65-70% of normal 3-5 rep max
. Leg extension 3x15-20
. Lunges or Hams machine 3x8-12
. calf raise 3x10-15
-- Min - 117 rep.

Day 6: Chest and Arms Hypertrophy Day

. Flat Barbell press 6 sets of 3 reps with 65-70% of normal 3-5 rep max
. Incline dumbbell press 3x8-12
. Incline Dumbbell flyes 2x15-20
. Dumbbell hammers 3x8-12
. Dumbbell curls 2x12-15
. tricep extension - overheated Dumbbell 2x8-12
. Cable pressdowns 2x12-15

-- Min - 160

Day 7: Rest

--

I wrote min. count of reps for each day so I could see if I increased volume on hypertrophy day and it is intented to do. Also I am not sure, if its a volume I can handle, I used to workout pretty hard 5-7 ex. 10 rep each, when I was doing splits, which is about 150-170 rep. Well I will see, if its too much I would decrese triceps on Hyper, cuz I work it already by doing Bench, incline, and littlebit flies ... What do you think.
Post 5 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
You still don't have enough ham work. -3X
Post 6 IP   flag post
Oh sure, Forgot about it, was deleting some stuff to fit the nubmers and maybe I deleted it by accident. Iriginally I had hams machine or weighted lunges of 2-3 sets of 5-8 reps. Is it enough?
Btw I lean towards to lunges, because I workout at home and my hams machone is suited for one leg at one time and you actually dont lay but you stand on the other leg. Well long story short, it is sometimes painful to do big weight on it (feel pain/streching under my knee)

And also one more thing, what do you think about first day. I have there quite lot of exercises that work triceps + dips and skull crushers. And biceps just one + curls. Maybe little bit in pull ups. Thinking about decresing triceps in that day to balance it or am i overthinking it?
Post 7 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Lunges are not a ham movement; they're quad dominant. I'd leave your first day as is. -3X
Post 8 IP   flag post
Oh now I feel really dumb I always though they hit it as well, becouse after doing them I always felt hams next day. Well I can still do the ham machine or another SLDL/Romanian. However I am not sure, if I should start off with Squats and deadlifts one the same day twice a week. Yesterday I did first day and the volume was almost same as I used to do on splits. Wanted to add something, because it took me just 40-45 min and my partner is usually doing 60 min. So I stayed there streching, but still better then full BW.
Post 9 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Layne advises not doing deads and squats in the same workout at all.

Re. lunges (or leg exercises in general), when you are considering what muscle is doing the primary amount of work, just consider the joint movements. During the concentric portion of the movement, the knees and extending. The hamstrings flex the knee, while the quads extend it. -3X
Post 10 IP   flag post
340733 10 10
destitute